Can someone in Woodbridge come and look?

walter

Well I started my tank like a month ago. Today I was watching the 3 chromis and 2 reg legged hermit crabs i got and i just happen to see something moving out of the corner of my eye. It looked like a clearish bug crawling on the rock. I tried to take a picture, but point and shots are not my friend.

I also think i got Aiptasia. ( do they retract when you poke at them?) Mine did :(

Anyways they (ive seen 2), 1 on a rock, and 1 on the sand bottom. I read something about using lemon juice to kill them.

How did these things (aiptasia and bugs) get in my tank in the first place? I started will all dry rock that had been sitting for some time.

Anyways Im in southbridge (woodbridge) area. Not tonight (10/06), but maybe soon.

( do they retract when you poke at them?) :(

>>> Yes. At least the one's i've seen do.

Anyways they (ive seen 2), 1 on a rock, and 1 on the sand bottom. I read something about using lemon juice to kill them.

>>> Try some Joe's Juice

How did these things (aiptasia and bugs) get in my tank in the first place? I started will all dry rock that had been sitting for some time.

>>> If you've recently introduced some corals into the tank, there may have been some hitchhikers in the live rock / reef plugs.

Edited by zoozilla

(edited)

I suggest that you buy a book to help you with your questions. "Reef Invertebrates" by Anthony Calfo is a great book for beginners.

You keep saying that, but when I went to buy it on amazon they are either used or want $200 for them. Im looking at dr. foster and smith or I might go to borders. Trust me though, Ive been looking.

">>> If you've recently introduced some corals into the tank, there may have been some hitchhikers in the live rock / reef plugs."

No corals. Just base rock that had been sitting in boxes. I got them home and sprayed them down really good (or so I thought).

Edited by walter

I am sure the "bugs" you saw were copepods and amphipods. Search the web for images and see if that is what you saw.

Aiptasia Control is another product out there that works very well at killing aiptasia.

(edited)

book ordered from Drs. Foster & smith $36.49

Update: These things may not be anenomes after all, but feather duster tubeworms. Im still not sure because they are so small. Pictures look more like tube worms than the anenome.

Edited by walter

If you suspect it to be aptasia I'd place about two peppermint shrimps in the tank. As long as the aptasia is small they will eat it up and any other remnants that are left over.

Pepermint shrimp are great for that but they will also eat them feather dusters if that is what they are.