My clam died!

lanman

No clue... it's been in there - in the same place for about 8 months. It was fine one day... a little more 'open' that usual the next day, but nothing I was concerned about. On the third day - it was just a mass of jelly.

bob

I had a Derasa for about nine months. I found out I had to clean of water and the poor thing starved to death from lack of nitrates.

Why do you think it died from lack of Nitrates?

sorry to hear about your clam. was it the electric green crocea you got from me?

Yes!! Nicest clam ever!

Sorry to hear the bad news.

Did you happen look on the shell for any pests such as Pyramidellid snails?

It was sitting on a large square frag plug on the sand. Never saw any snails around it. It was right up front center of the tank, where I could keep a good eye on it.

Hmm, if you dont see any tiny snails(pyramids) attacking your astreas then you may have one of these around:

http://www.reefaquariumforum.com/show-me-w...like-t2534.html

Flatworms, the big ones can wipe out a clam overnight and leave a jelly mess.

I haven't seen any large polyclads - but I'll have to start putting a flashlight to the tank more often.

Do you have a conch snail in your tank?

Mine killed two clams before I figured out what was going on.

No conch's of any sort.

bob

I haven't seen any large polyclads - but I'll have to start putting a flashlight to the tank more often.
Had one in my 60gal, only saw it twice over a period of 6+months. I could not believe it was still in there at least 6 months later.