Back into the hobby - trying Nano this time

reefchick

Hi all - Im back!

I thought I'd introduce myself since its been a really really long time since I have been here :)

I had a 45 gallon and dropped out of the hobby about 6 years ago after a total crash. Sold gave away or trashed everything. Well as all of us who leave do - I got the itch back.

Saw a Aquapod 12 gallon for sale on Craiglist.

Had live sand, live rock and water - was ready to go and 2 streets down from my house.

Soooo I'm Back!

So I added blue legged hermits, snails, 2 clowns, mushroom and a condi - not all at once and after checking params.

One clown disappeared, condi and snails died - mushrooms shrived and probably won't make it - so Im back but not off to a good start.

I'll be hanging around to stay encouraged.

Welcome back.

Try getting so clean water change water form a nearby reefer to replace your existing water with.

I've got some cheato and some seed sand if you want some. McLean, VA

We're having a meeting at the ZOO this Saturday evening @ 6:30, check it out.

Welcome back,

I understand the snail death syndrome, problem is mine is directly related to the most hated blue leg hermits that eat all my snails...

I think the mushrooms will be okay, they probably just need time to settle down.

I'm not the most experienced by far, but let me know if I can help, you aren't too far from me.

Kevin

(edited)

Kevin: So the hermits ate the snails - hmmmm

I went to local reef store and got advice from them instead of doing my own research - I forgot more than I ever knew I think.

Flowerseller: Thanks for the offer - Id love some.

Can't make the zoo though - got plans that night. Thanks for the offer.

Edited by reefchick

What Chip said is a good idea, go invest in 3 or 4 five-gallon buckets (with lids), and find someone nearby (like Chip/flowerseller) with a big tank and get their "old" water when they do a water change. Then you can do quick 1 or 2 gallon changes on your system every few days, until it gets stable. Forget all the expensive equipment, the easiest way to keep a nano looking good is frequent small water changes. I do this for a buddy of mine who is a beginner aquarist and his little nano has worked well from day one.

Good luck

Justin

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

I was part of WAMAS before there was a WAMAS - I think there were 6 of us at the beginning. LOL

I have a 5 gallon container and I will get some water from LFS and change a bit each week.

12 gallons - how much should i change each time?

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

I was part of WAMAS before there was a WAMAS - I think there were 6 of us at the beginning. LOL

I have a 5 gallon container and I will get some water from LFS and change a bit each week.

12 gallons - how much should i change each time?

I can change 12g and you can take it with you.

Leyla? This is David - we met in my garage to build a hood, or something for your tank, back when there was only 6 of us - welcome back. Am i remembering correctly?

in any case, welcome back and let me know if you want some free frags of green slimer, green plate or xenia.

(edited)

Leyla? This is David - we met in my garage to build a hood, or something for your tank, back when there was only 6 of us - welcome back. Am i remembering correctly?

in any case, welcome back and let me know if you want some free frags of green slimer, green plate or xenia.

Hi David - yes it's me! glad to see a familiar face :)

We did build my hood - that tank is now in South Carolina with a very good friend. I broke my foot really bad and could not get up and down stairs to take care of the tank and had a massive crash. My son tried to maintain things - but he was 14 or so. Broke my heart and quit for a while.

But I'm back! :)

I'd love some frags - but want to hold off for now. I got a couple things yesterday and have a frag coming tomorrow and want to let things settle before adding more.

Thanks for the kind offers.

Edited by reefchick

I'm in Herndon if you need some stuff as well. I can give you some scoops of sand and chaeto, and if you want some dirty water ;) I can give you what I change out, 44 gallons at a time...

OK so I am not having a lot of lick so far. Here is is today.

I hope to have improvements tomorrow:

House020.jpg

Cn someone tell me if this guy is bad for my tank - He came with it and he is pretty big IMHO.

House018.jpg

If you mean the giant hermit crab, yes it could be bad for your set-up. More than likely it'll eat snails and small invertebrates. It'll probably go so far as to eat food from the mouths of corals.

If you'd like some free frags, I'm in Reston.

(edited)

Zygote - I did lose all of my snails as well as one of my clowns when MIA.

If anyone wants him Im happy to give him up.

davelin315 - I'd love some - that would be fantstic.

I love this hobby - everyone is so great.

Special thanks to bamainva for the devils had frags and mushroom today.

Edited by reefchick

Special thanks to bamainva for the devils had frags and mushroom today.

No problem...when I'll let you know when the green toadstool is ready for fragging. Good Luck...let me know how things acclimate.

Hi David - yes it's me! glad to see a familiar face :)

We did build my hood - that tank is now in South Carolina with a very good friend. I broke my foot really bad and could not get up and down stairs to take care of the tank and had a massive crash. My son tried to maintain things - but he was 14 or so. Broke my heart and quit for a while.

But I'm back! :)

I'd love some frags - but want to hold off for now. I got a couple things yesterday and have a frag coming tomorrow and want to let things settle before adding more.

Thanks for the kind offers.

Wow, were you guys (and the other 4?) the founders of the club? We ought to have some sort of party to thank you all.