75G Reef tank noob

walter

Hey all just started my tank about several days ago.

So far I got the gravity to 1.023. Waiting to get some heaters to go from 74-75 to about 78F. One have 1 base rock. Its so lonely.

levels are good. Only major problem is that skimmer is producing micro bubbles so water looks cloudy. Suggestions?

Also looking at ways to cycle the tank.

I heard things from fishless (ammonia) cycling to just add a piece of fish food (and raw shrimp too :X )....Someone scolded me for suggesting i cycle with a live fish.

Any tips?

There are several ways you can start the cycle. I went to the Local Fish Shop (LFS) and bought lots of base rock and the rest live rock. Or you could place all your rock in the tank along with the sand then buy bacteria which is sold in the LFS which places the needed bacteria to start the process and lastly you could place all your rock in the tank the sand and buy hardy fish not too many. I purchased about three chromis, they worked great nice hardy and pretty cheap.

And for the skimmer making micro bubbles going into the water that is fine if you look in your owners manual it will tell you the reason for why that is happening. Basically there is something in the water; it should go away after a few days, when there is organics the skimmer can pull out of the water.

Edited by reefmontalvo

Thanks.

I actually dont have any of the instructions. I bought the entire setup from someone on CL. I know the brand name of the skimmer is phoenix or something similar. Ill have to look again. I had been looking at several sites and they said the same thing.

So it will be a quick minute before I get more rocks and maybe 1 week before I get some fish.

So it will be a quick minute before I get more rocks and maybe 1 week before I get some fish.

Definitely add some more rocks. Either a combo of more base rock and some live rock or all live rock. That'll get your cycle started. There's really no way to speed up the cycle, and you won't actually start cycling till you introduce some live rock and/or live sand to start your bacteria colonization.

Please don't place any fish in the tank until you've monitiored your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for 3 to 4 weeks. Your ammonia will rise first, then nitrite and lastly the nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite should both be at zero and nitrate needs to be <10/20ppm before you start stocking. Start with a clean up crew and let them roam around for a week or so, then you can gradually start stocking fish. The idea is to not overwhelm the bacteria population. Just go slow so the bacteria adjusts to the bioload demand. Going too fast is a recipe for nuisance algaes.

Have fun!

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

I started my cycle with some nice looking base rock and a few amazing pieces of LR. (I looked around and found some really nice stuff.....ask WAMASers about good LR as well!) I added the usual cleaner crew. (emerald, hermits, handful of whatever sanil you want) And started with 2 damsels (I will be getting rid of but are very healthy and did quite well for me....just to dam mean!) After a month of all them in there added a lawnmower Blenny to help with some of the H algae. good luck and patience! and welcome to WAMAS!

I have a big chunk of rock you can have for cheap if you want, and I can give you some cheato (free) and a bit of LR rubble and a little live sand (free if you get the rock). Good luck on your start up!

Cool. I was about to purchase a 5 pound bag of live sand to get started, but this may be a good thing to do also.

Lets talk and let me know what I need to do.

PM sent.

BTW here is a picture of my tank

Definitely add some more rocks. Either a combo of more base rock and some live rock or all live rock. That'll get your cycle started. There's really no way to speed up the cycle, and you won't actually start cycling till you introduce some live rock and/or live sand to start your bacteria colonization.

Please don't place any fish in the tank until you've monitiored your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for 3 to 4 weeks. Your ammonia will rise first, then nitrite and lastly the nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite should both be at zero and nitrate needs to be <10/20ppm before you start stocking. Start with a clean up crew and let them roam around for a week or so, then you can gradually start stocking fish. The idea is to not overwhelm the bacteria population. Just go slow so the bacteria adjusts to the bioload demand. Going too fast is a recipe for nuisance algaes.

Have fun!

So let me understand this. No fish for 3-4 weeks. If i introduce live sand then how can bacteria feed on ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate if there is nothing in the tank?

Clean up crew? What do you recommend I get. I look around online and notice that some places sell algae attack packs or Star cleanup packs. A list would be helpful. These would be ok for right away? then after 3-4 weeks of good levels I could add fish?

Edited by walter

Clean up crew? What do you recommend I get.

Emerald crabs, blue legged... scarlet...whatever hermits, nassarus, astrea, turbo grazers, bumble bee (all snails) This should be a good cleanup crew.

Edited by Smoothtriqueter

Emerald crabs, blue legged... scarlet...whatever hermits, nassarus, astrea, turbo grazers, bumble bee (all snails) This should be a good cleanup crew.

Are those ok to get now though? What will they clean up if there is only a lonely rock in the tank?

True, you do need more rock in there to get everything going. But I have noticed that algae doesn't care and just starts growing when you turn the lights on. and as far as when you add fish ppl all have their ways of doing it. I put a 4 stripe and a yellowtail damsel in after I had done my aquascaping (only about 4-5 days into tank setup) The ammonia is needed to cycle the tank. Just don't go and by a red sea purple tang and expect it to do well! Good luck. Keep posting pics along the way.

You have been running the filter and everything, correct?

Edited by Smoothtriqueter

Yes I have. Skimmer and all. running.

Ill probably have to go with all base rock for now and let that eventually cultivate into live rock. LR is too expensive for me right now.

I did the same thing! My rock against the bottom and my first shelf were all just base rock. I have one huge piece of purple covered rock and a few smaller pieces that all went on top. I also got a few cups of some LS to help seed mine.

Brand new tank! It looks so clean! You can go with as much base rock as you like, but I would suggest adding at least one good sized piece of live rock to help get things going. I'll get that scoop of LS off to you today which will help things also.

Most people don't recommend using damsels to get the tank cycle going. True, they are inexpensive, and the majority of them survive the cycle, but they are a royal pain to catch once you want them out, and believe me, you will want them out. They are extremely aggressive and territorial. Some people have used a piece of raw shrimp to start the cycle. I've never done that, so I can't tell you how long to leave it in. The most important thing is to have those test kits and test daily. Like I mentioned earlier, it'll take a few weeks for you to see a rise and fall in your levels. Personally, I wouldn't add a clean up crew yet. Most won't survive the cycle, so you would pretty much be spending money on things that will end up in the trash can. Save the money and sit back for a few weeks. Adding a piece of fully cured LR will help speed things along.

If you ever get up to Manassas you can stop by Blue Ribbon Koi and dig around in John's LR bins to find a piece that suits you. He ususally has several diffferent varieties of LR in stock and his prices are very good.

Forgot to mention - be sure to check out the threads at the top of this forum. There's some good info in there.

my opinion:

put your rock in there, seaded sand.

let it sit for a few weeks, there is plenty of dead stuff on the rocks to cycle the tank.

monitor your test kit values, do water changes.

after a few weeks, add crew. You can even feed them flakes. Low lighting

monitor you test kit values, do water changes. Keep ph and dkh level up!

after a few weeks, add some fish, non-agressive and hardy. Get ideas during above, ask here for advice

feed sparingly, low lighting, water changes, monitor kits

get a 6 months or so under your belt before adding anything expensive,

TAKE YOUR TIME - no impulse purchases! We all have made that mistake though.

I have made plenty of mistakes, but I didn't learn about this board early, I wish I had. You are a step ahead of the game.

PS, Steveoutlaw is always tearing a tank down out there in your neck of the woods, he probably has liverock! :)

Definitely have to agree with the take your time route. Didn't have anything in my first SW tank for at least 3 months to make everything was cycled and ready. Then came a few snail and hermits like 10 each for the first week. At the end of that week counted how I had left then went and bought another 10 of each. Then another week after that bought 10 more. Wasn't until my 4 month that I added my first fish. I know it is hard especially since my daughter asked me everyday for 4 months when we are getting the "Nemo" fishes. Just be patient nothing worse then thinking your done with the cycle and adding fish only to see them go belly up.

If you need live sand I'm in Bristow and more than willing to give you a couple cups of sand.