Where to get glass cut for Reef Sump!?

cabrego

Hi all,

I am in the process of building my sump and I would like to use glass baffles. My problem is I can not seem to find a store that will provide this glass.

I am in the Springfield, Alexandria location. Does anyone have their favorite store for this? I am new to the area and I have only searched in the phone book.

One place I did find wanted 30 dollars per 12"x12" 1/8inch square (non tempered). I thought that was a ridiculous price. What should I expect to pay

Cutting glass is not as hard as it seems. You can purchase a cheap glass scoring tool at HD or Lowe's and do it yourself. You basically score the glass, and then snap it. Works great for baffles. If you're building a glass tank - that's a totally different story.

--Rob

Reston glass..next to Marine Scene in Herndon...

Thanks for the tip. If possible I would like a closer shop, but I will definitely consider driving after I get a quote from them. That looks to be a 40 min drive.

Cutting glass is not as hard as it seems. You can purchase a cheap glass scoring tool at HD or Lowe's and do it yourself. You basically score the glass, and then snap it. Works great for baffles. If you're building a glass tank - that's a totally different story.

--Rob

Sure, do you know where I can find sheet glass to use for this? I suspect it would much cheaper to go this route too!

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the tip. If possible I would like a closer shop, but I will definitely consider driving after I get a quote from them. That looks to be a 40 min drive.

Sure, do you know where I can find sheet glass to use for this? I suspect it would much cheaper to go this route too!

Thanks for the replies.

Steal windows... cheapest way to go. :)

HD, Lowes probably have glass, as well as the glass cutters. Wear gloves and glasses; be bold.

bob

You can get 1/8 glass cut to size at Lowes and Home Depot cheap.

Wow I am suprised, I was there twice in the last two days and did not think they carried it, so I didn't even bother asking. I will have to look into it.

Wow I am suprised, I was there twice in the last two days and did not think they carried it, so I didn't even bother asking. I will have to look into it.

It's possible what they sell is 1/16". They call it "single strength" or "single thickness" or some such. I used it for a sump and it eventually broke. I then had them cut 1/4" acrylic for me. That stuff aint gonna break.

If I were doing glass again I might consider laminating 2 of lowe's sheets together. I think acrylic is better though. I got 4 12x12 1/4" baffles out of a 2x4 sheet of acrylic then sold the other half of the sheet. In the end even though the sheet cost $39, I only paid like $25 for 4 baffles. Seemed like a good deal.

tim

It's possible what they sell is 1/16". They call it "single strength" or "single thickness" or some such. I used it for a sump and it eventually broke. I then had them cut 1/4" acrylic for me. That stuff aint gonna break.

If I were doing glass again I might consider laminating 2 of lowe's sheets together. I think acrylic is better though. I got 4 12x12 1/4" baffles out of a 2x4 sheet of acrylic then sold the other half of the sheet. In the end even though the sheet cost $39, I only paid like $25 for 4 baffles. Seemed like a good deal.

tim

Ok so it sounds like lowes sells 2x4 sheets of acrylic. Does the acrylic adhere well to the glass with silicone?

I wouldn't go anything thinner tha 1/8 for the baffles for my particular set up. I do have the problem of cutting the acrylic since I do not have cutting tools. hmmm, how did you cut your acrylic?

I know for a fact that Lowes will also cut glass for you because I used them to make my sumps. The acrylic they sell is way too thin and will bow when you use them as baffles. Been there, done that. One piece of glass is only $12 or so, and they don't charge you to cut it.

Hi all,

I am in the process of building my sump and I would like to use glass baffles. My problem is I can not seem to find a store that will provide this glass.

I am in the Springfield, Alexandria location. Does anyone have their favorite store for this? I am new to the area and I have only searched in the phone book.

One place I did find wanted 30 dollars per 12"x12" 1/8inch square (non tempered). I thought that was a ridiculous price. What should I expect to pay

Just go to Banner glass right off of Seminary Rd. in Falls Church right off of 395.

Bailey's Crossroads

(Fairfax County)

5733 Seminary Road

Bailey's Crossroads, VA 22041

Ph: 703.820.1515

Fx: 703.820.1972

They will cut the glass to however you want it cut.

Ok so it sounds like lowes sells 2x4 sheets of acrylic. Does the acrylic adhere well to the glass with silicone?

I wouldn't go anything thinner tha 1/8 for the baffles for my particular set up. I do have the problem of cutting the acrylic since I do not have cutting tools. hmmm, how did you cut your acrylic?

I used silicone and it worked fine. I cut the acrylic slightly small so the silicone would be on the left, middle, and right sides of the acrylic. It's still holding like a rock...perhaps mostly to the glass, though, but it doesn't matter.

Lowe's will cut the acrylic for you. Just take your measurements. If I was going to cut it myself, I would use a router.

The .220 acrylic will not bend at all.

sorta on subject, sorta off...

I need some 1/4" acrylic - the HD in Springfield doesn't have it. Anyone know another place in the Springfield area that does?

Got mine at the Lowe's on Rt 1 in Alexandria (I think it was .220", not .250" if that is important).

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

I used silicone and it worked fine. I cut the acrylic slightly small so the silicone would be on the left, middle, and right sides of the acrylic. It's still holding like a rock...perhaps mostly to the glass, though, but it doesn't matter.

Lowe's will cut the acrylic for you. Just take your measurements. If I was going to cut it myself, I would use a router.

The .220 acrylic will not bend at all.

Got mine at the Lowe's on Rt 1 in Alexandria (I think it was .220", not .250" if that is important).

yeah .220 is close enough - thanks!

When getting the glass cut, along the edges that will sit on the bottom, be sure to get a 45 degree miter off these bottom corners. The reason is a 90 degree will sit on the silicone seal of the bottom of the tank and your glass pane will sit about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch above the bottom of the tank. This will require a lot of silicone to then seal that baffle. Get it mitered and the glass pane will sit on the bottom for a better fit and the corner is not cutting into the seal.

Measure the silicone and determing how much of a mitre. Probably 1/4 will do it.

BTW Sterling glass will to it, this is where I got mine done.

Edited by rioreef

When getting the glass cut, along the edges that will sit on the bottom, be sure to get a 45 degree miter off these bottom corners. The reason is a 90 degree will sit on the silicone seal of the bottom of the tank and your glass pane will sit about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch above the bottom of the tank. This will require a lot of silicone to then seal that baffle. Get it mitered and the glass pane will sit on the bottom for a better fit and the corner is not cutting into the seal.

Measure the silicone and determing how much of a mitre. Probably 1/4 will do it.

BTW Sterling glass will to it, this is where I got mine done.

Good point. I recall chopping the corners of my acrylic baffles off with a mitre saw. Of course, didn't need to do it for the center baffle.

tim

Just go to Banner glass right off of Seminary Rd. in Falls Church right off of 395.

Bailey's Crossroads

(Fairfax County)

5733 Seminary Road

Bailey's Crossroads, VA 22041

Ph: 703.820.1515

Fx: 703.820.1972

They will cut the glass to however you want it cut.

I too recommend Banner Glass. I have had several pieces of custom glass cut there, no issues. I called around and they were the cheapest at the time, plus they are only a mile from me. They are busy and some times they are unable to do a same day cut as some other shops might so plan ahead.