Detaching Mushrooms

reefchick

Hello,

I newly returned to the hobby and have a 12G nano tank with LS and LR with a 5 blue legged hermits and a false perc. I added some mushrooms from the Marine Scene and theya re all detaching from the base rock. I did have a condy die off :( and did multiple water changes and have trace amonia and nitrates but Im in MUCH better shape that a couple weeks ago. Could this be the cause of the detaching mushrooms? I'm thinking probably. Any suggestions?

Thank in advance.

Hopefully the mushrooms have a small bit of rock attached to their foot still. If so, get some super glue and glue that little piece of rock to a frag disc or small piece of liverock rubble. Getting shrooms with nothing on their foot is tricky. I use a small plastic container and put some small pieces of rubble in the bottom, then lay the mushroom inside on the LR. In my tank I even have to use a clear plastic top to keep the flow really low inside the container. The flow needs to be really low inside so the shrooms will attach. I'llt take a few days, but it usually works for me.

Thanks for the great info.

Yes several have completely detached so I can't glue them back. I will try to use some netting in a cup to get them to reattach. I forgot how frustrating this hobby can get. But so rewarding - I keep remindig myself that :)

Thanks again!

I had this problem also and tried the rubble in a cup with netting over top. It didn't work for me. Don't know what I did wrong but the mushrooms died. I would love to hear if it worked for you.

Karen

I have had mushrooms floating around both the 65 for a while - they float away and eventually I see them again, here one day, there the next day... until eventually they settle down and stick somewhere on their own. They don't really seem to mind floating around like that, unless of course they get into a dark spot or get caught somewhere.

Well I moved the water flow a bit and the mushrooms are all opening and look happy - hoping they will attach themselves. weird.. I guess the flow was too strong - but they were in the least flow area.

Thanks for all the help.

Also, when in a pitch, you can always just trying to superglue the tissue to a frag disc of liverock rubble. People glue down zoanthids all the time, so I'm sure the shroom would survice through it.

Also, when in a pitch, you can always just trying to superglue the tissue to a frag disc of liverock rubble. People glue down zoanthids all the time, so I'm sure the shroom would survice through it.

let's ask this question... what aboutzoanthids detatching? I found one floating inthe water yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...

So they detached and shriveled up and I can only find one now.

Tiny and not opening.

I have done water changes and changed my lights yesterday.

When I first started the hobby things went great.

When I started upgrading and moved my tank - nothing went right and I finally had a tank crash and left the hobby.

Now I decide to get back into it - and have problems of the bat :(

they love low flow and low light so if there is not a spot in the tank with those conditions then they will always be on the move...at least until it does find a spot which could take who knows how long..I have some migrated into the back of my tank under rocks and they are doing fine without any direct light...

What is the salinity of the water. Are you keeping it consistent? Keep trying. How do your other corals look?

I find mine all over the tank as well... take the ones I got DD, I have no idea where one is at the moment, the other is on the sand under a small piece of tongan branch that fish dug out the sand. It's happy, just not easily seen at the moment.

I havent checked the salinity - get my water from Marine Scene.

I did place my mushrooms at several locations to see where they might like it best. No where apparently.

I just got back into this in June so have been taking it slow. The Aquapod was bought from craigslist and I had no idea how old the PCs were so I replaced them yesterday and could tell a difference right away.

I have also checked my nitrates, nitrites, amonia etc and am looking good - so a bit confused.

On a side note - I did have 2 false percs and oe day one was gone. We never found it and I tore the tank, skimmer, overflow etc apart. So I hate to add mroe money and harm more creatures.

I think I am going to try to buy one piece of live rock and get some live sand to boost the critters in my tank. The tank came with live rock and sand, but not sure how "live" things are.

Thanks everyone -

I havent checked the salinity - get my water from Marine Scene.

I did place my mushrooms at several locations to see where they might like it best. No where apparently.

You should. Especially in a smaller tank. Things can shift rather quickly. So when you top off the tank, you are using fresh water and not salt, right?

Edited by audible

You should. Especially in a smaller tank. Things can shift rather quickly. So when you top off the tank, you are using fresh water and not salt, right?

So I have not had to top off between changes - the water level really dos not drop.

I am thinking the top is enclosed and it not evaporating and any perceivable rate.

So I have not had to top off between changes - the water level really dos not drop.

I am thinking the top is enclosed and it not evaporating and any perceivable rate.

Ah, reefchick - there IS some evaporation even with the lid on. Even if it not very much, over time, you will refill 'to the line', even if it was 1/8" below the line, and this will raise your salinity.

You CAN get away with a little 'Deep-six' hydrometer - BUT you have to have it calibrated. In fact - too bad you aren't local, I have an extra one laying out on the front porch. Measure the salinity of a known salinity water (such as the water you get from MS) - and MARK the 1.025 on the Deep-six. Unless (shock!) the deep-six is actually accurate. When using those swing-arm salinity meters - take a measurement, dump it back into the tank, measure again - about 3 times to make sure you are consistent. Adjust salinity down by removing a little saltwater, and adding pure RO/DI water.

bob

Thanks Lanman. Im not saying I have no evap - but I have not been topping off at all.

I will get a Deep six and check my salinity - I should ahve gotten one today.

Just chiming in isn't this testing Specific gravity (1.025) and not actual salinity? Which should be around 26-30 if using a good refractometer. They are related but not the same. :cheers: