capsfan's 55g growing reef tank

capsfan

I started this tank with the help of my dad about 2 years ago. I have just started to buy corals to put into it. :clap: Here are some "within the last month" pics. I have redone the rockwork since these pics were taken. I'll try to get some updated pics up soon.

Here are specs:

Tank: 55g all glass brand

Live sand: I don't know how much there is (about an inch)

Liverock: 47 pounds

Powerheads: Penguin 1180 & a small one I can't remember (more powerheads are on the way eventually)

Filtration: Gulp- Penguin Biowheel :blush:

Protein skimmer: Red Sea 60

Lighting: 4 54w retrofit t5s

Livestock:

2 ocillaris clownfish

2 b&w ocillaris cf

2 firefish

lawnmower blenny

yellow tang

4 astrea snails

9 turbo snails

bta

small colony of zoas

small star polyp frag

On to the pics :biggrin:

tank

gallery_2631686_465_20296.jpg

lights

gallery_2631686_465_840479.jpg

under the stand :eek:

gallery_2631686_465_7163.jpg

clownfish

gallery_2631686_465_177243.jpg

yellow tang :wink:

gallery_2631686_465_285497.jpg

zoas

gallery_2631686_465_299766.jpg

star polyps

gallery_2631686_465_421773.jpg

Edited by capsfan

Good work on the tank. I'd like to suggest putting reflector on the T5s. They jut clip on the bulbs ang greatly increase their effective output. Keep up the good work and thank Dad.

Like these

I have had many people tell me this. Is 4 54w t5s enough to keep most corals? I realize 6 would be better, but if I get 2 more, I won't have enough room for the reflectors.

I have had many people tell me this. Is 4 54w t5s enough to keep most corals? I realize 6 would be better, but if I get 2 more, I won't have enough room for the reflectors.

A 55gal tank is only 13" wide. 4 T5s is plenty - add the reflectors because most T5 bulbs don't have internal reflectors. Also consider a heavy-duty white paint on the inside of the hood for water resistance and additional reflection. I actually have an epoxy that I use that is awesome.

Agree with Brian. Definitely get the reflectors and paint the inside of the hood. I don't know the numbers but the reflectors make a big difference.

I'm putting 6 in my 24" deep tank, all with their own reflector.

Edited by Larry Grenier

Also consider a heavy-duty white paint on the inside of the hood for water resistance and additional reflection. I actually have an epoxy that I use that is awesome.

Any pics?

Go with reflectors. I have seen it done both ways, even with a shared reflector. The individual reflectors greatly increase light, and will cost less to run in terms of power and replacement bulbs.

Any pics?

I didn't shoot any of the hood, but I used the same epoxy to paint all of the stand structure on my basement tank. The epoxy was recommended to me by one of the owners of Scales - they painted all of their wood structures with it. This particular stuff is great - actually made for coating bridges and other industrial structures. So I figured it could probably withstand my reef environment. This is the Sherwin-Williams Tile Clad Epoxy. They don't have it at all the Sherwin-Williams stores, so call ahead if you're headed out to get it - it's also pricey at $40 - $50/gal and you have to buy 2 gal (1 of the white base and 1 of the hardener). If you're ever near DC I have an extra gallon of the base and the hardener I can sell you if you're interested. It creates a great shell that wipes down easy.

Before epoxy:

DSC01615.jpg

DSC01614.jpg

DSC01610.jpg

After epoxy:

DSC01634.jpg

DSC01629.jpg

DSC01628.jpg

Edited by Brian Ward

All right, I said I would post some updated pics soon, so here they are.

Since the last pics, I have redone my rockwork. I like this configuration

better since it seems to really open up the tank. Just more room for my

tang! :bluefish:

First up, I just realized how much my zoas have grown since I got them about a month ago

Before...

gallery_2631686_465_20744.jpg

After... (sorry about picture quality)

gallery_2631686_465_522389.jpg

FTS

gallery_2631686_465_333212.jpg

Right side.

gallery_2631686_465_117650.jpg

Left side

gallery_2631686_465_481531.jpg

Left side again :)

gallery_2631686_465_27452.jpg

Feeding Frenzy

gallery_2631686_465_63835.jpg

Does anyone know how to get rid of this stuff?

gallery_2631686_465_149655.jpg

I think I may add some reflectors to my lights to add more illumination.

See ya! :bb:

Just siphon the stuff out when u do your water change..if it comes back then u know u have a nutrient problem.

Edited by DDiver

• 2 weeks later...

I took a couple rocks out of the tank for my new 2.5g pico, and was not insanely happy with the rock results.

Here is the new rockwork on the left.

Also, my clown kept biting me while I was messing w/ the rocks. I like him, but he can get pretty pesky.

Sorry about the picture quality. The glass was dirty and I am not a super photographer. ;)

gallery_2631686_465_486376.jpg

gallery_2631686_465_498548.jpg

and a pic of ol' foghorn in her bta

gallery_2631686_465_666869.jpg

one of my snails chillin' on a powerhead

gallery_2631686_465_123229.jpg

Edited by capsfan

• 2 months later...

Well, as many of you know, the tank went downhill since last I posted. It got grown over with hair algae and I even entered it into Reefcleaner's "Ugly tank contest." Not exactly sure how I lost that one. Oh well. :rolleyes: I was totally sick with my tank and even thought about getting rid of the ugly beast, but I stuck with it. About a week ago, I took out all the rocks and scrubbed them with a toothbrush. Then I put them into a cooler full of newly mixed saltwater. During this time, I vacuumed out a bunch of detitus from the tank and pulled out any excess hair algae. I then put all the rock back into the tank, poured out the water in the cooler, and made a fresh batch. I put this newly mixed saltwater into the tank and threw on a filter full of De*nitrate. That is where I stand. Last night I ordered some phosban to try and kill of any hair algae that is left.

Before...

gallery_2631686_467_199444.jpg

After...

gallery_2631686_465_293997.jpg

Things I still have to do

- Change light bulbs (They are oooolllllddd)

- More Powerheads (Thinking Koralias)

- RO/DI?

That's it for me now folks. Have a Merry Christmas!!

• 6 months later...

Well, it has been a while since I have posted about this tank, so it is time for an update! The tank looked really ugly for a while, but now it is not looking too bad. I scraped a bunch of coraline off the glass and the hair algae seems to be on the decline (please God). All the fish are doing well including the mandarin goby that was originally in my 2.5 gallon tank. I have thrown a ball of chaeto into the main display as I do not have a sump and it seems to help with the algae a bit. I also have a back of phosban in there. I realize it would be better in a reactor, but I did not have the $$$ at the time. Oh well. Here are some updated (but cruddy) pictures.

One last thing... There is a little anemone on one of my frags. Is it a mojano? See below...

gallery_2631686_465_703230.jpg

gallery_2631686_465_879755.jpg

gallery_2631686_465_1061685.jpg

Mandarin

gallery_2631686_465_691362.jpg

Some zoas I want to grow out..

gallery_2631686_465_1232594.jpg

That's it for now.

Nice! Now I would focus on getting some coraline growth and adding coral. BTW, is that two pairs of clowns I spy in there? Hows that working out for you??

Nice! Now I would focus on getting some coraline growth and adding coral. BTW, is that two pairs of clowns I spy in there? Hows that working out for you??

My coraline wants to grow everywhere but on the rocks. All over the powerheads, protein skimmer, frag rack, and glass, but little growth on the rocks. The two pairs of clowns tolerate eachother. They like to go thier separate ways. If the black ones get too close, the male orange will nip at them. The oranges have been a little more irritable since they started laying eggs on a regular basis. By the way, I am looking foward to seeing that cuttlefish tank of yours.

My coraline wants to grow everywhere but on the rocks. All over the powerheads, protein skimmer, frag rack, and glass, but little growth on the rocks. The two pairs of clowns tolerate eachother. They like to go thier separate ways. If the black ones get too close, the male orange will nip at them. The oranges have been a little more irritable since they started laying eggs on a regular basis. By the way, I am looking foward to seeing that cuttlefish tank of yours.

If you have trouble, lmk, I'm lookin for a pair of blacks :). I'm filling up the cuttlefish tank as we speak. I'll probably post an update tomorrow night. Then I'm off to Switzerland and England until the beginning of August and when I get back I'll be on the hunt for eggs!