Clowns mated!

albatross666

Yippie!

My clowns mated and there are a bunch of small tadpole like fish in the tank! I will read up on feeding them, but just wanted to share.

The funny part is that the two clowns are not the same type, one is a fire clown (Amphiprion ephippium) and the others a common tomato clown.

These are surely clown babies. I only have a goby and a wrasse in addition to the 2 clowns. They must have laid eggs and I never saw them.

The babies are in a crevice, and I cannot get a decent picture, only a blur!

Here are the parents and the babies:

gallery_2631356_351_22796.jpggallery_2631356_351_12874.jpggallery_2631356_351_4012.jpg

fire up some rotifers and greenwater and lets see what these hybrids look like :cheers:

That's kind of what I was thinking, but if they stay in the tank much longer they will be someone's tasty late night snack

Newly hatched clown fry are tiny, hardly visable to the naked eye. They seem to last no more than an hour in the normal filtration of a reef tank... just can't swim enought to not get caught in the current. Are you sure they are not some type of pod?

Are the two clowns acting like a pair? That is cool all by itself.

I have noticed that many tomato type clowns will pair up, but have never had a pair actually breed. I have had this combination several times with fire clowns and cinammon or tomato clowns pairing up (I have a pair right now of a cinammon and a fire clown).

Hi

You know what, I am not sure if they really are fish, but they are very tadpole-ish looking. There are about 5-10 little guys, and they dart and chase. They are in a crack between two rocks, so the water flow is not too much.

I suppose that the two clowns do act like a pair some of the time, but come feeding time, its the big gal vs the little guy! They both have distinct sleeping places. The tomato sleeps in a vertical position, face down, while the fire sleeps in a "cave".

My guess is that you are seeing pods, especally if they are still there 2 or 3 days later. This is a very common mistake, don't feel bad.

That said it is possible. I have a customer with a perc and ocellerious (a mistake made by their previous service Co) that are paired, host in some mushrooms and lay eggs. Not sure if those eggs are viable or not, but they are there.

To get fry you would really need them living as a pair 24/7 the male cares for the eggs and without him they don't last long at all.