Kmitch's Slice o' Reef 34gal Solana

make sure you have extra water change ....er...water on hand so some of the levels can be kept in check.

Agreed. That's a good thing about the nanos, you can do a 30%+ water change with ease.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice meeting you tonight, hope your frags make it well. I think you might be alright, nice meeting you tonight! thanks for the donation. Best wishes for you and your tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a really nice setup. The aquascaping came out very nice. I also can give you various corals if you need anything. Where in Alexandria are you?

Wow I've neglected my thread! The tank, however is doing wonderful. I'll just let the pics talk. These are in order of events, so the ones on top are oldest, on bottom are newest...

The larger (and presumably female) clown with her eyebrows

IMG_6978.jpg

The pair. You can really see the size difference in them.

IMG_6987.jpg

The eyebrows again:

IMG_6995.jpg

And the true naked clown

IMG_7007.jpg

IMG_7047.jpg

New pics and New Vortech! woohoo!

My actually naked - naked clown

IMG_7089.jpg

FTS pre- vortech..... ewww look at all that equipment in there!

IMG_7146.jpg

To the rescue!

IMG_7162.jpg

FTS with the MP20. Notice I've gotten a few new SPS pieces!

IMG_7163.jpg

:o

IMG_7174.jpg

IMG_7298.jpg

One of the coolest fish I've ever owned!

IMG_7308.jpg

The veryyyy cool blue/purple/red coral that was tough to pronounce its name. In the LPS family, very pretty. Mr. Coral said he'd never seen anything like it (he has frags of this left still)

IMG_7309.jpg

Closeup of the same piece

IMG_7311.jpg

I finally own acans! :happydance:

IMG_7314.jpg

Green slimer

IMG_7317.jpg

Bright blue and green SPS.... can't remember the names! argh

IMG_7325.jpg

Token FTS

Ok so the short of what the tank is up to....

Decided to attempt dosing vodka, did alot of reading on the subject and have been doing careful water tests since i started. Thus far (and I am only 5 days in) no changes in nitrates.

I've been having some trouble getting the Tunze Nano Doc 9002 skimmer to work well for me, its actually really ticking me off.

Everything seems to be doing well, I plan on now giving the stocking a break (unless i find something amazing/a yasha goby/ am given frags) to let things grow and the tank settle down because I did put alot in there since its been setup.

I promise to be better and not neglect my tank thread again! Sorry WAMAS-ers!

I've been having some trouble getting the Tunze Nano Doc 9002 skimmer to work well for me, its actually really ticking me off.

what kind of problems are you having with the Tunze. I have had one for months now and it works like a charm. Was easy to set up and started skimming right away.

You definitely need to get the skimmer working. One of the things you NEED when dosing vodka is a powerful and working skimmer. Good thing is that even if it isn't pulling anything out, its is at least oxygenating the water, which as I'm sure you've read is critical when experiencing the bacterial bloom. I wish I could offer some tips on the skimmer, but I've never had that one.

My skimmer problem is that I cannot get it tuned properly. It'll skim dry for 2 hours and I'll come back later to it overflowing with water. Haven't found the sweet spot where I get the right combo of everything! Its been running for awhile now with mixed results, about ready to chuck it in favor of something else like a remora

If it'll fit on the back, you should get one of these:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~cat...y~FIPSISNW.html

Its a little more expensive, but pretty amazing from what I've heard and read. You could also go even bigger and get the MCE600, which means you wouldn't have to upgrade skimmers WHEN you upgrade :biggrin:

Seriously though, I had the MCE600 on my Mom's 55gal and I couldn't believe the skimmate I got out of it. Smelled and looked just like the skimmate from my larger deltec. I never got skimmate like that from my old Remora. The Remora was an ok skimmer, the two HOB deltecs are incredible skimmers. Plus, if your tank is somewhat quiet, then kiss that goodbye with the Remora.

Just my 2 pennys.

Yeah I have eyed those babies... had great success with all the remoras I had... figrued out the mods to make them silent and effective! I have a $100 rent.com credit card coming my way though....

Love the clowns. I almost decided on getting the one with the eyebrows instead of our Picasso offspring.

Sweet looking fish.

Yeah I have eyed those babies... had great success with all the remoras I had... figrued out the mods to make them silent and effective! I have a $100 rent.com credit card coming my way though....

You get the Tunze new or used? If new, hopefully you can return it for your money back, or at least credit.

Never knew there were mods for the remoras. Go with the Deltec. Thinks about your livestock :biggrin:

How much extra room is there behind the back wall?? Did you put liverock rubble back there live I've seen alot of people do? What are your thoughts on these?

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...;Category_Code=

or these

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...;Category_Code=

to go in the back to get additional bacterial filtration? Just an idea. I'd give them a try, if I had a nano.

Tunze is used and I have a buddy on another forum who might trade it out for me for a remora. The mod to make remora's quiet is really easy.

If you lift up the skimmer cup you see in the body the white screw (air intake) and where the water injector is.... take a wet paper towel and fold it into a a square that covers the entire inside of that compartment. It does not affect performance and actually removes alot of waste (when you change the towel every few weeks you'll see its brown) and it silences the remora. Fastest and free-est mod ever!

In my rear chambers I have some filter floss, carbon, purigen, and some spare LR pieces (plus heater skimmer etc)

K

I love the design of the vortech's... I only wish they werent $300 plus. I guess I feel that way about all the power heads in this hobby- minus the maxijets - but like you say, the maxijets are the ugliest.

Is the powerhead silent? It would be an interesting DIY project for sure... but thats off topic... love the look!

d

If I stick my ear next to the Vortech I can hear it, otherwise the sound of my AC and just normal life drowns it out. Very quite, much more so than many maxi's

Thats weird about the remora, I just ordered that Deltec mc300 for my 26 gal. I have a remora nano running on it now.

That sps blue/green is a carolina blue tort. MrCoral told me today.

You get it from Marine Depot? Lemme know how it works. EZcompany has the same skimmer on her solana and seems to love it, I just hate the price!

yea i know, its pricey but worth it with all the sps in my tank and my stand doesnt allow alot of other choices in skimmers.

BTW ezcompany is a dude.

Nice work so far. Why not pop the unencrusted frags off the disks and mount them directly to the rocks? Then you don't have to look at an unnaturally round coral. Particularly those sps sticks- glue them horizontally to one of the branch rocks and watch them encrust and send up tons of new tips within a few months.

IMG_7317.jpg

Bright blue and green SPS.... can't remember the names! argh

Looks like Acropora insignis, often from Bali

like using super glue? I've never done this nor read a thread about doing so, although I admit I hate the look of the disks!

Linky/more info? Thanks

like using super glue? I've never done this nor read a thread about doing so, although I admit I hate the look of the disks!

Linky/more info? Thanks

I think he meant to just use the putty to attach the frag to the rocks. I've done this before. Find a good crater in the rock where the frag will fit, and fill around it with putty. I have to admit though, having those discs underneath the corals makes it pretty easy to get it off the rock if you ever decide to sell the coral.

Sorry, I should have been more descriptive. Break the frag off the white disk, then find a good spot for it and lay it down parallel to one of the branch rocks. Make an oval or rope shape from some aquamend putty (available at home depot), the idea is to glue the frag down on its long edge. put a few drops of gel glue on the putty, and stick the frag to the putty with that glue. Then do the same on the other edge of the putty and stick the frag/putty combo to the rock. The idea is to allow the putty to create a shoe for the coral, which helps bond it to the rock.

Even though it seems counterintuitive to kill that much of the live coral tissue with glue, the result will be a larger surface area for the coral to encrust over. Then you will get more little branches quicker, and the coral will have a better hold on the rock. It will also look more natural, like the coral is growing out of the rock rather than just stuck there.