Kmitch's Slice o' Reef 34gal Solana

Birth of a Reef

Welcome! So this tank is a rebuild. I just moved to Alexandria from Morehead City, NC and owned a Solana there. About a week prior to my move the glass on the front CRACKED! I initially was crushed-- it was not only the most expensive tank I had ever purchased but also my favorite. I posted on Nano-Reef about it and less than an hour later Ike from Current USA had emailed me telling me he'd replace it. I suspect that it was an isolated incident; I had noticed a small pock mark on the glass when I purchased the glass but never thought anything of it and I think the glass eventually lost it's integrity because it cracked right at that spot.

Two weeks ago I moved to Washington DC (where I joined WAMAS) and Ike came through on his promise and had a Solana tank delivered to my door just a few days later. THANK YOU IKE!

But this was no run of the mill Solana...

It is the new.... shhh... Starphire Glass Solana!!!!

I told Ike I'd review it for him and I must say that Current USA has produced yet another beautiful product. The new glass is very clear, there is no tint to it like most glass. Current has made a few other changes to the tank besides the glass, firstly they laser etched their logo in the bottom left corner. It really is well placed and unobtrusive on there. I hate having labels on equipment but it was so inconspicuous that it actually took me awhile to notice it! Second, they have put a felt pad on the bottom piece of glass. I assume this was done to protect the stand from the tank but I am considered about water getting under there (which will inevitably happen) and getting nasty. But to be fair to Current in my product evaluation I will leave it as it came from the factory and report back on it later.

IMG_6765.jpg

Lastly, and most important in my book, is they replaced that weak piece of filter pad with a heavy duty coarse pad. This is the kind where you can rinse it out and use it for months on end. I talked to someone who claimed this was the same pad their org. solana came with, but it is definitely stronger than the one mine came with! Oh and they changed the color of the plastic pieces that hold the lid on from clear to black.

IMG_6762.jpg

I haven't put water in it yet (still working on getting all my parts and really taking the time to think it through rather than rushing this tank) so the review will be ongoing, but so far appears to be a hit again.

Tank Mods

My previous Solana had only one major gripe, the amount of flow from the stock pump. It wasn't bad but for the SPS I wanted to keep it didn't cut the mustard. I never had problems with the skimmer and actually thought it was one of the better skimmers for an AIO tank. If the skimmer dies on me down the road I'll replace it with a Tunze Nano Doc.

IMG_6760.jpg

To address the flow problem I removed all of the contents of chamber 2 and installed a second pump with return. It is a MJ900 (so moderate flow) plumbed into the system using the leftover hardware from the previous tank. My stealth heater also got put into there. I am taking a simple approach to the filtration, I have done Fuge's and never really seen alot of positive from the results, so heavy skimming, heavy flow, and a piece of filter pad.

IMG_6758.jpg

IMG_6763.jpg

IMG_6767.jpg

IMG_6769.jpg

If I find I still want more flow I'll put in some spare Koralia's I have lying around, but I think this should give me a good start.

Equipment Plans

Besides the tank I am planning on using a 250w Metal Halide system I purchased off R-C for a great price. It is a pendant system I will hang from the ceiling. Purchased a 14k bulb for the unit to give me some good color.

- 250 W metal halide pendant with 14k bulb

- Solana Tank

- Stock pump

- MJ 900 plumbed into back

- Stock skimmer

- Current Solana Stand (on special order, only thing keeping me form starting)

- RO/DI Unit

Stocking Plans

Not sure exactly on the coral but heavy SPS and LPS with the standard assortment of shrooms and zoas. Also want some clam action in there.

For fish I am thinking either a few clowns (like 4) or a school of chromis and a goby. I have done lots of tanks with the diverse fish population, but I want something this time that is a school of fish rather than one or two odd ball fish.

Ps... sorry for all the cats in the pictures. They think this is their fish tank!

UPDATE:

Purchased an Air Water Ice RO unit using the WAMAS discount....

Purchased some sand and salt from Philip at Pristine Aquariums today

Tank stand on order to come Tuesday.

Hope to get it all running and wet by the middle of the week so I can grab some LR this weekend. Anyone know who currently has some good stuff for sale right now?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NICE tank...didn't know they were gonna do starfire!

Apparently this was the first run to see how the market responded to the idea of it.

are those bio balls in there? are they ther to help airate the skimmer? or just filtration?

welcome to the club :)

The bioballs in the skimmer are to remove microbubbles as water leaves the skimmer. Theres a sponge over them to collect anything that makes it through

Updates:

IMG_6774.jpg

Insert a quote for that face.

IMG_6777.jpg

They love helping mom setup the tank

OK FINE .... tank pictures! :P

The metal halide pendant came in today. Building the hanging bracket for it although it hasn't been mounted to the wall so more pictures when that is done. It is adjustable and allows for quick removal of the pendant with two clips. That way I can work in the tank without having my head beating into a light. Tomorrow I am getting the stand and setting that up, followed by the RO water on Wednesday. I will post pictures of the light hanger when its all done.

IMG_6785.jpg

Connection from the MH pendant to the hanging system

IMG_6786.jpg

Hanging bracket connection

IMG_6788.jpg

The Metal Halide Pendant

IMG_6789.jpg

Side of the Pendant

IMG_6790.jpg

Inside of Pendant

IMG_6793.jpg

Sand

IMG_6794.jpg

Ballast for the 250w MH

Now I know what you are thinking.... what kind of crazy girl keeps a suspension system with chains and hooks on her wall? Well it keeps the boys honest!! :o ;)

The chain is so I can raise or lower the light for acclimation, etc

IMG_6795.jpg

Normally, however, the light will hang like so, without the chain hanging there.

IMG_6797.jpg

Oh I know what you are thinking now.... wow that girl really can mount some hardware!

I have calculated that on the stand, the tank will sit about 10in from the halide, which is good for a start and I can lower the fixture over time, which is why I went with this system. Chain for quick changes in height, or I can move the bars up and down for quasi-permanent changes.

Construction of the hanging system:

x2 - 24in black "ClosetMaid" bars for shelving unit $7.94/ea

x2 - 14.7in black shelf supports. $6.90/ea

x1pkg - 3/16"x1 1/2" Hook and Eye kit with bolt $1.98

x2 - Carabiners tested for 160lbs $2.23/ea

Also got some good drywall anchors and voila!

When the tank is in position the light should sit just above and sligthly back of center and the metal wall brackets will blend to behind the tank, giving the illusion of the whole system being attached.

Question-- what does everyone think is a good height to have the MH above the tank? Its a 250w so alot more powerful than anything I am used to and I dont want to cook my tank!

(edited)

Updates:

IMG_6774.jpg

Insert a quote for that face.

I CAN HAZ A FISHIE NOW?

looks just like my old cat.

looks like your off to a good start.

Edited by GaryL

No-- I had a fuge in one of the chambers before and had them on other tanks but I don't feel like I see alot of benefit from having some macro algae in there in such small quantities. Maybe they work better in large systems but I don't see it as worthwhile

(edited)

the fuge also has benifits of pod growth without fish attacking them as well as nutrient export.

just my opinion.

Edited by GaryL

Welcome to the club! Nice setup so far. You might paint the chains black because

1) They would match

2) It would look even more intimidating

3) They won't corrode as quickly

Seriously, any bare metal over salt water will get a patina of rust or corrosion over time. Then little particles of it flake off and fall in the tank when you mess with the lights. I learned this from a similar setup years ago, although I admit that I saw no negative effects from the corrosion dust.

You might also consider more flow if you want to keep sps. (shameless plug) I just happen to have a pair of controllable nanostreams for sale that would work perfectly on this size tank (end plug). Variable flow patterns help to keep detritus buildup under control.

Looking forward to seeing how your tank comes along!

Justin

How much for your nanostreams? I just got some LR today from Pristine, its 13lbs which isnt enough but would start my cycle for me. I actually removed the chains from the stand and now the water would have to jump a foot in the air to hit bare metal-- I'm sure over time it magically will!

I have put in two MJs, a 900 and 1000 for right now and those will be short lived once I can afford some TUNZEs. Since I wont put SPS into the system for several months its not high on the list of priorities-- we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Ran the MH all day today which was a warm one, after 12 hrs being on the water never got above 78F all day, which I am happy about. Since the light will never run that long anyway, I figured this was a good worst case test.

I also trekked up to Blue Ribbon Koi today-- the shop was nice, they have a decent selection of fish, good coral supply, and I met my first WAMAS member, jamesbuf. Had a great chat with James and ended up seeing him an hour later at Pristine in Alexandria! Anyway I checked out their LR before I went to pristine, they had one beautiful peace but wanted over $200 for it, which for one 23lbs rock is alot.....

Anyone been to The Aquarium Company or Marine Scene lately and know how much they charge for rock and if it's good stuff? Pics to come.....

Its alive!

IMG_6809.jpg

IMG_6810.jpg

IMG_6811.jpg

IMG_6814.jpg

I am very happy with the surface movement of the water. I have an AWESOME shimmer effect from the MH. Added 13lbs of live rock and hoping to find a little more rock today at another local shop.

K

It was also a pleasure meeting you Kristen. Glad to see you found some rock to start cycling your Solana. I've got some nice small coraline encrusted pieces I can let you have once you're ready for it. Get some purple color spreading quickly. Just let me know when you're ready.

I went to Roozens today.... well it was...er... a different shop that I was expecting. I have never seen such chaos, such bizarreness as an emperor angel in a pond--- yet they had a great stock of stuff. I got some more LR from them, a bunch of LR branch which is a look I really dig. Something about the lack of uniformity in it I guess.

Pics:

IMG_6856.jpg

Ok so its not a nano-- but to keep my cat from harassing me while I work in the tank I give him a kitty workout with the feather toy (yes I have chains and a feather toy....). Today he was so tired from his run around that he was panting like a dog!

IMG_6858.jpg

The new aquascape. Looks pretty good in real life, pretty bad in the picture.

IMG_6859.jpg

FTS-- lots of swimming holes for fishes!

IMG_6861.jpg

Chamber 2- I re-plumbed the second return. It now pulls water from the main display and returns through an outlet right behind the rock. Keeps there from being a dead zone behind the rock work.

Oh, you mean nobody "warned" you on what to expect at Roozens?? hhahah. That place is pretty crazy. You should've posted that you were going, I live less than 2 miles away. I could've given you the not-so-grand tour :biggrin:

Oh, you mean nobody "warned" you on what to expect at Roozens?? hhahah. That place is pretty crazy. You should've posted that you were going, I live less than 2 miles away. I could've given you the not-so-grand tour :biggrin:

:lol: I think I gave a fairly comprehensive warning about Roozens...but I kinda find it...charming? in it's own weird, dirty way :)

Love the rockscape...the branching rock is a neat look.

Yeah I had gotten the Roozens warning, but nothing could prepare me for what i saw!

I will def be back there when the tank is cycled, their fish werent impressive but they had a good stock of corals and stuff-- so I'll hit them up. James I'll give you a shout next time I head out there.

They had one huge colony of hairy shrooms calling my name-- shame they'll be gone in 2 weeks!

If you want hairy mushrooms, just post up here that you're looking for them! One thing that you'll find about this club (welcome to it, by the way!), is that there are a lot of freebies to be had. I wasn't at the fragfest, but hopefully you made it out there. When I first joined up, I got some great stuff donated to me for school tanks and I still am getting donations all of the time. I am now at the point where I am in a position to give back as well, and I am always happy to give some of my faster growth corals away. As far as those go, however, if you're going with SPS, I would avoid the mushrooms. I can give you the equivalent of mushrooms, though, some nice Montipora digitata to start off with. It's a quick grower, resilient, and best of all, free!