Midas Blenny Monster

reefhunter

I have a coral or two that are losing tissue and not doing well. I was watching my tank and saw my Midas Blenny bite a healthly coral and remove tissue... I watching him do it a few times before I started trying to scold him by sticking zip ties in his hole!

Anyone ever have a bad experience with these fish? I have had him about a year with no problems...

If he is attacking corals could it be territorial? Maybe I need to feed him more?

The colony above his hole is getting destroyed which I thought was damage from running carbon but maybe he is eating/biting it...

FISH SUCK... What a nightmare... This could be worse than the Eibli Angel that nips everything...

I maybe draining my tank soon to rid my tank of a few problem fish...

Ah yes, the Midas blenny... I had one of those once. He used to nail my snails whenever they peak out of the sand.

(edited)

:lol2: Didn't realize that fish responded to scolding! If so, that would certainly make them smarter than my cat...

a squirt gun with water in it should make the kitty respond quickly...after so many times they get the point.

do not do this when master is home

:smokin:

Edited by GaryL

a squirt gun with water in it should make the kitty respond quickly...after so many times they get the point.

sO SINCE THIS IS UNDER WATER, AND A FISH, SHOULD HE FILL THE SQUIRT GUN WITH AIR?

Yeah, for some reason that stuff never flies when the boss is home...

My wife got me a supersoaker keychain (3in.) as a joke when I was in the Sand Box, its small enough now I can use it as a concealed weapon for the cat perps. :cheers:

The guy that got me into reef aquariums and gave me my first tank setup told me not to get a midas blenny. He has been keeping multiple reefs for over 30 years, one of my dad's friends. In fact he warned me about just about every blenny but the lawnmowers. He is a very wise man. That being said I have heard of some people never having any problems with their midas blenny. I really want to get one but I think it might be bad karma because I have listened to everything this guy has told me and have had great success.

You ought to put a mini version of one of those dog training collars on him. Then you can just sit back and zap him when he misbehaves. :biggrin:

I have a Midas in my reef and it's my favorite fish in the tank as far as character. Very cool fish and it stays to itself.

You ought to put a mini version of one of those dog training collars on him. Then you can just sit back and zap him when he misbehaves. :biggrin:

Mine also is a trip and behaves himself (hope I'm not jinxing myself here). It was my yellow clown gobies that ate all of my SPS......

That might make an even bigger problem underwater. :biggrin:

-Connor

when I saw the title I thought it was going to be some lame photoshop thing :lol2:. On the midas blenny note, I really like them, they are probably my favorite aquarium fish and I think it is worth the risk with the corals to have such a cool fish. Just my gallery_2631577_443_148.jpg

FYI - mine was great until yesterday when I noticed him attacking a very expensive coral!! Today he doesn't seem to be doing it... but what do I know... I only look at the tank maybe 30 min a day...

I have recommended one to everyone I talk to... maybe not anymore...