Your opinion please.

Stephen

A couple of months ago I purchased a 20 gallon tank to upgrade a small ocellaris clown pair and an anemone. Things have been going well except I suddenly have the desire to go bigger. I'm limited on space however and want to use some existing equipment without making a big purchase of another 75 or 90 gallon tank and the equipment and lighting to go with it. What I have in mind is a 30 gallon (36"l x 12"w x 16" h) with my current 20 gallon as a sump/cheato/macro farm. I'm dying to try my hand at SPS corals but I have a few question I'd like to ask first about the set-up and your opinion of it's ability to maintain SPS corals along with LPS and softies (I've been keeping LSP and softies for half of my life). This isn't my first time at the rodeo but since I've decided I want SPS coral I'd like others opinions before I get my feet wet. I've included my equipment plans and future livestock plans. The biggest question I have is will the t-5 fixture I plan to purchase be enough for the anemone (sebae that will be moved to a 75 gallon with MH once it grows too large) and SPS to thrive (I purchased a MH with CF's fixture for my 20 gallon but returned it as I couldn't live with the way it hung over the front and back of the tank). Along with suggestions of corals (SPS and LPS specifically).

Below are my livestock and equipment plans. Any and all suggestions and substitutions welcome.

30 gallon display 36"l x 12"w x 16" h

Equipment

- 2 Maxi-Jet 1200's with rotating deflector FLO attachments (purchasing)

- Fluval 305 (have)

- Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5 Lighting Fixture, 6X39 Watt, 36 inch (purchasing)

- CPR Aquatics CS50 Siphon Overflow (purchasing)

- Prizm Deluxe Skimmer (have)

- Eheim Water System Installation Set 2 (for sump return)

Livestock

- 35 pounds of live rock (have)

- 25 pounds of Sea Flor Reef Sand (have)

- 1 small occelaris clown pair (have)

- 1 4" sebae anemone (have)

- 2 red fire fish gobies (purchasing)

- 1 six line wrasse (have)

- 1 orange stripe prawn goby (have)

- 1 tiger pistol shrimp (have)

- 2 peppermint shrimp (purchasing)

- 1 coral banded shrimp (purchasing)

- 1 emerald mithrax (purchasing)

- various snails and hermits

Coral

- SPS (what can I keep or am I limited to?)

- LPS (again, what would you suggest?)

- frogspawn (have)

- candy cane coral (have)

- zoo's (have)

- ricordea's (have)

- toadstool leather (have)

- xenia (have)

20 gallon sump 24"l x 12"w x 16" h light cycle will be opposite of 30 gallon.

Equipment

- Coralife 20" 96 watt CF fixture with 6500k bulb (have)

- Maxi-Jet Submersible Utility Pumps Model 1100 (purchasing)

- Stealth Heater 250W (purchasing)

- Maxi-Jet 1200 for flow (have)

Livestock

- Cheato (have)

- Caulerpa (have)

- various snails

Diagrams

Overview

tank01.gif

Plumbing

tank02.gif

Tank Layout (front view)

tank03.gif

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

If I had to do it all over again ( hopefully I do soon) I would not of purchased my Sebae for my 75 gallon. When i first got him he was bleach white and about the size of a softball. Today he is healthy with light green tentacles with purple tips. When he is fully extended he is much bigger than a basketball. To big for my 75 gallon, I think. I do like the fact that he stays put. He only moves 3-4 inches left or right depending on how close I put back the Tunze after cleaning it.

Cheers, :cheers:

Sean

(edited)

This may not be what you want to hear but...

If space is a concern and you'd like to keep it down to 36" I strongly recommend a 58 or a 65 gal. They are both 36" but have that nice 18" depth like a 75 or a 90. Yes, cost more but think about it. I've seen them used often (sold one several months ago). Best bang for a small space.

Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5 Lighting Fixture, 6X39 Watt, 36 inch (purchasing)
As far as light goes, this should be great for SPS. This would also work well over a 65 or 58.

IMO, if you want to keep SPS, you want to keep a really clean tank so I'd suggest small weekly or bi-weekly water changes and running carbon occasionally or some fole run carbon all the time.

SPS Suggestions: Montipora and Green slimer; both tough, not too expensive, wide variety, sold by WAMAS members often.

Eheim Water System Installation Set 2 (for sump return)
What are these?

rotating deflector FLO attachments
what exactly are you talking about, those hydor rotating things? Edited by Larry Grenier

This may not be what you want to hear but...

As far as light goes, this should be great for SPS. This would also work well over a 65 or 58.

IMO, if you want to keep SPS, you want to keep a really clean tank so I'd suggest small weekly or bi-weekly water changes and running carbon occasionally or some fole run carbon all the time.

I currently do 10% - 25% water changes weekly on my tanks now. The habit is kinda hard to break I guess :) I'm not sure why I'm so fond of the fluvals but I guess it has something to do with being the first "real" filter I ever got. I run carbon in one chamber in all the fluvals I have. Guess that's kinda a habit also from my younger times in the hobby.

SPS Suggestions: Montipora and Green slimer; both tough, not too expensive, wide variety, sold by WAMAS members often.

Would I eventually be able to move onto acans and acro once I get more experienced with SP and my tank matures?

What are these?

It's a spray bar. I liked the idea of having it versus another fluval like return. It will allow me to spread the water flow from the sump out over a larger area versus just one outlet.

what exactly are you talking about, those hydor rotating things?

Here's the link. Hydor FLO Rotating Deflector They turn a regular powerhead into a wave maker of sorts.

Question, wouldn't having the fridge in the whole mix add a lot of heat?

It stays around 68 in my home so heat from the fridge hasn't been an issue. The fridge will stick out a bit in the back from the stand so I think I'll be fine. The rest of the back will be enclosed. I am worried a bit about heat from the 96 watt light over the sump but I believe the storage area will serve as a buffer between the 2. I really have never noticed any heat from the mini fridge actually and the top of it stays pretty cool from the ice area inside. The computer on the desk next to it generates heat but it isn't aimed at the area the tank will occupy. I'm eventually planning to build a custom desk that matches and blends in with the tank/fridge stand. The room it is in is kind of a second living room/office so the mini fridge is a must for entertainment purposes. :)

If I had to do it all over again ( hopefully I do soon) I would not of purchased my Sebae for my 75 gallon. When i first got him he was bleach white and about the size of a softball. Today he is healthy with light green tentacles with purple tips. When he is fully extended he is much bigger than a basketball. To big for my 75 gallon, I think. I do like the fact that he stays put. He only moves 3-4 inches left or right depending on how close I put back the Tunze after cleaning it.

Cheers, :cheers:

Sean

I got mine from a local store almost a year ago and it was bleached white with purple tips. It's a nice brownish green with purple tips now. It's moved only twice. Both times when it was put in it's new home. It's more than tripled in size since then. I really enjoy the thing. Or maybe I enjoy my nieces 3 year old twin daughters fascination with it and the clown fish. Either way it's got to stay. :) Even if that means a new tank one day.

Below are my livestock and equipment plans. Any and all suggestions and substitutions welcome.

- CPR Aquatics CS50 Siphon Overflow (purchasing)

- Prizm Deluxe Skimmer (have)

I would strongly, strongly advise you against getting a CPR overflow. Their design is inherently flawed. Bubbles will build up in the overflow, breaking the siphon, which is why they have a "bleed-off" that needs to be attached to an Aqualifter pump or powerhead. They are basically a disaster waiting to happen.

Just as strongly I'd advise you to get an overflow from Lifereef. They are more expensive than the CPRs (about $120), but basically bulletproof. In this case you really do get what you pay for.

Not sure about the Prizm skimmer, since I've never had one, but they don't have a very good reputation...you might consider something different

HTH,

-Robert

I would strongly, strongly advise you against getting a CPR overflow. Their design is inherently flawed. Bubbles will build up in the overflow, breaking the siphon, which is why they have a "bleed-off" that needs to be attached to an Aqualifter pump or powerhead. They are basically a disaster waiting to happen.

Just as strongly I'd advise you to get an overflow from Lifereef. They are more expensive than the CPRs (about $120), but basically bulletproof. In this case you really do get what you pay for.

Not sure about the Prizm skimmer, since I've never had one, but they don't have a very good reputation...you might consider something different

HTH,

-Robert

I was planning on having the pump on it. A buddy has been using one for a while now and he says he's never had a problem. It has the pump on it of course and the 10.99 for the pump isn't pricey enough to live without. I like the size/footprint of the skimmer box that goes inside the tank. So little room is used compared to the other overflows I have or have seen.

Same with the skimmer. Except this time it comes from personal experience. Nice footprint, below average in noise levels and puts out nice dark gunk when it's adjusted right.

Most of my choices are based on their foot print in the tank or sump. I want the power, but I'd like the space for other things. Hence most of my choices.

Thanks everyone that's replied so far. Keep them coming! :) I debated joining wamas for years and can honestly say it's been the best 20 bucks I've ever spent.

Well then plan on having replacement membranes for the Aqualifter, and spills when that doesn't work.

I'm glad your buddy hasn't had any problems for "a while." Do a search on CPR overflows on ReefCentral.

I'm not sure why you're asking for advice, since you've already made up your mind.

Good luck, you'll need it.

-R

I tend to agree with Larry about the 58 gallon tank. If you can fit it - they are SO much nicer, with the 18" from front-back. I have that same light fixture (36") over my 58, and it was nominated for TOTM about 3 days after I took all the corals out of it to put in the new 240. (which would have made it rather difficult to take pictures of, unless you had a 'quantum' camera) So you shouldn't have any problem growing anything you want.

If you want a model for a 30-gallon tank, find BBYATV's TOTM thread; shows what you CAN do with a small tank (20 gallons in his case). It was only a few months ago - should be easy to find.

I also recommend to anyone that they get a 'reef-ready' or drilled tank. I hate suction overflows of all sorts since my first 'real' tank had a U-tube. I swapped that 45 out after only 2 months for the reef-ready 58.

Best of luck!

bob

Well then plan on having replacement membranes for the Aqualifter, and spills when that doesn't work.

I'm glad your buddy hasn't had any problems for "a while." Do a search on CPR overflows on ReefCentral.

I'm not sure why you're asking for advice, since you've already made up your mind.

Good luck, you'll need it.

-R

I didn't mean to seem brash or stubborn on my hardgood choices here. Sorry if I came off that way. I think I may take lanmans advice and look into a reef ready or drilled tank.

or you can have it drill as long as the sides are not tempered. a few of the member can do the drilling for you.

If you want a model for a 30-gallon tank, find BBYATV's TOTM thread; shows what you CAN do with a small tank (20 gallons in his case). It was only a few months ago - should be easy to find.

I also recommend to anyone that they get a 'reef-ready' or drilled tank. I hate suction overflows of all sorts since my first 'real' tank had a U-tube. I swapped that 45 out after only 2 months for the reef-ready 58.

Best of luck!

bob

Thanks Bob. I found the thread and he has a great tank. Hopefully I'll be able to achieve something similar. :) I'm going to look into a drilled tank since I can't seem to find any reef ready tanks in the size I want.