Refuge lights

albatross666

(edited)

Hi everyone

Do we need to change the refuge light bulbs? Or is the decay in the spectrum helpful for algae growth?

I have a HOB CPR aquafuge2 with the CPR light, and the bulb is now about 9 months old. Its is a 18 Watt daylight bulb.

Is it time to change the bulb, or should that be kept as is? If a change is recommended, is a 50/50 bulb a better choice for a refuge?

Thanks!

Edited by albatross666

Hi

Any other comments from group members? I am placing an online order for supplies this weekend and would love to hear your advise.

Thanks!

if you do replace the bulb, 6700k is best for macro growth from what i've heard.

if you do replace the bulb, 6700k is best for macro growth from what i've heard.

Second this, just plain bulb in the 6000k-7000k will give the best growth

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I use similar bulbs I got from Home Depot. They replaced 190 watt PCs with 38 watts. I leave them on 24x7 and they work just fine, producing the same amount of algae as the PCs.

I have two of these over my chaeto and holy cow the growth is amazing. They definitely worth very well.

In regards to the old PC bulb, if the used bulb you have now isn't a ~6700K bulb, then I would buy a new bulb. If it already is a 6700K bulb, then I wouldn't worry about it. The used bulbs will be more than sufficient. I grew cheato with a 3 year old PC bulb just fine.

Hope that helps.

I have two of these over my chaeto and holy cow the growth is amazing. They definitely worth very well.

In regards to the old PC bulb, if the used bulb you have now isn't a ~6700K bulb, then I would buy a new bulb. If it already is a 6700K bulb, then I wouldn't worry about it. The used bulbs will be more than sufficient. I grew cheato with a 3 year old PC bulb just fine.

Hope that helps.

the 5100k ones?

i was rummaging through some reef stuff and found one still in the box...a par35 3100k. i wonder how well it will work?

i think i will give it a shot..should be better than the 10000k fixture i have now, and alot less wattage.

Edited by GaryL

• 3 weeks later...