air compressor

treesprite

Would a small air compressor like the kind carried in a car for flats work for keeping a tank aerated when the electricity is off? I rescued a co-worker from a flat a little bit ago and suddenly realized that I can use my jumpstart battery to power it just by plugging it in to the "cig. lighter" thing, no need for an inverter.

What I am thinking is that perhaps I could put multiple branches of airline on it with airstones on them - if this thing can blow up a tire it should be able to power a ton of airstones dispersed throughout the tank.

I only paid 12 bucks for the compressor at Walmart automotive and the thing is awesome. Everyone should keep one in their car ... for that price there's no reason not to.

(edited)

Those pumps are not intended for constant duty and will burn out if run too long.

I know it can run at least the length of time as it takes to blow up a tire, so maybe intermittent use throughout a day rather than constant? It would still be better than a couple of the mini aquarium ones that run constant, wouldn't it?

Edited by treesprite

I know it can run at least the length of time as it takes to blow up a tire, so maybe intermittent use throughout a day rather than constant? It would still be better than a couple of the mini aquarium ones that run constant, wouldn't it?

The air that comes out of those compressors usual contains some oil but I might be wrong but they are only supposed to run for a maximum of 10 minutes at a time and then need to cool for a while. When my power went out for a few hours I hooked up a small(325GPH) 12 volt boat bilge pump, pretty much like a powerhead, I had around to an old motorcycle battery. The battery only had a partial charge and it powered the pump for hours. I'm now keeping a battery charged up in case of power outtages. Since I'm using stuff I already have sitting around, toatl cost is $0.

I would go small minnow/bilge pump and a deep cycle that will run for days and days you can get them now that have a long tube with holes that will fit in your sump and you could lay the spray bar over the tank... anyway this is what I plan on doing we have 2 boats each has a brand new battery the only challenge is you have to be home and you have to precharge the battery with a trickle charger:) if you want to minimize power consumption they make a 12 volt solar system....

I use a air pump for minnow and I have an airpump that s battery powered that kicks on when the power goes off

I was really just trying to come up with ideas for things I already have. I'm really glad I asked here about it before trying it.

Hmmm Forest your being very creative! keep up the good work! I'm found of making used parts work for new its recycling! hope you find something that works for you!

• 11 years later...
I will recommend EPAuto portable air compressor it is the best. I have site from which I bought it... (deleted)

This is an 11 year old thread....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, YHSublime said:

This is an 11 year old thread....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously, so old that I am having trouble believing I even posted it, because I don't remember it and it is not something I can imagine thinking about trying to do. 

However, I would like to know why and how a tire air compressor would have oil mixed into the air. 

Seriously, so old that I am having trouble believing I even posted it, because I don't remember it and it is not something I can imagine thinking about trying to do. 

However, I would like to know why and how a tire air compressor would have oil mixed into the air. 
Lubrication. Many, not all, compressors have oil.