Why join WAMAS?

Three weeks ago I installed a do-it-yourself refugium. At that time my nitrates were running between 15 - 25. For the first time in 6 months my nitrate level today is reading zero. :biggrin:

My refugium was made from a 55 gallon Pepsi barrel, with 5.5 inches of sand on the bottom. I added lights and one fist size ball of Chaeto. Information to construct it was learned here at WAMAS.

Cost:

Sand - free from WAMAS Members

Pepsi barrel - $5.00 (learned about them from WAMAS

Lights - $30.00 from Home Depot (learned about them from WAMAS)

Plumbing Fittings - $10.00 from Home Depot

Chaeto - Free from WAMAS Members

------------------------------------------------------

Total Cost: $45.00

$20.00 for joining WAMAS paid for itself again & again.

Thank you WAMAS for all the wonderful advice. I couldn't have done it without ya.

xscuseless.gif

:biggrin:

I do agree though. This place is the best!

xscuseless.gif

:biggrin:

I do agree though. This place is the best!

I have to go to the store & buy some new batteries for my camera. I'll post some pictures later. Good point. :biggrin:

What did you find at home depot that works like a bulkhead for the barrel? I've only used Uniseals and regular bulkheads, neither of which HD or Lowes sells.

where did you get the pepsi barrel from?

Hyattsville Pepsi Plant - Barrels are $5 each. Howard Turk, Recycling

Coordinator, 301.583.7260 or 301.322.7000

WAMAS did a group buy a few months ago.

What did you find at home depot that works like a bulkhead for the barrel? I've only used Uniseals and regular bulkheads, neither of which HD or Lowes sells.

Don't know what Cliff used, but I have used male and female couplings with O rings on them. For me it was never a great substitute but it worked in a pinch. Also, I have used threaded male connectors and used a tap to thread a hole that matched. A little teflon tape on there and you're pretty good (or combine it with an O ring and female connector, too).

I used standard 2" PVC screw fittings (male & female) with one rubber O ring. After I tightened them to the barrel on each side, I applied Jurassic Paleobond glue to make it permanent. Works like a charm. :)

Hyattsville Pepsi Plant - Barrels are $5 each. Howard Turk, Recycling

Coordinator, 301.583.7260 or 301.322.7000

WAMAS did a group buy a few months ago.

did you get them shipped or what did you do?

(edited)

Awesome Cliff.

Does any know if there are any unclaimed/unused 55 gal barrels still available out there? Or anyone interested in sponsoring another group buy?

With all the upcoming meetings and socials, this is the season for group buys/rades/sales of anything I suppose.

Maureen

sorry Cliff .......... didn't mean to hijack your thread.................

Edited by MLazar

Awesome Cliff.

Does any know if there are any unclaimed/unused 55 gal barrels still available out there? Or anyone interested in sponsoring another group buy?

With all the upcoming meetings and socials, this is the season for group buys/rades/sales of anything I suppose.

Maureen

sorry Cliff .......... didn't mean to hijack your thread.................

I have one 55 gallon pepsi barrel left, which I do not need now. If you are interested let me know. I will be at the next meeting.

I have one 55 gallon pepsi barrel left, which I do not need now. If you are interested let me know. I will be at the next meeting.

Cliff,

Am definitely interested in the barrel, thanks much. Let me know what I owe you.

Maureen

Cliff,

Am definitely interested in the barrel, thanks much. Let me know what I owe you.

Maureen

$5.00 for the barrel, which is what I paid for it. I'll bring it for you to the next meeting.

$5.00 for the barrel, which is what I paid for it. I'll bring it for you to the next meeting.

Thanks much Cliff. I'll see you at BRK.

I have to go to the store & buy some new batteries for my camera. I'll post some pictures later. Good point. :biggrin:

rechargable batteries are the best..last longer too..pays for themselves like the wamas membership :biggrin:

Nice work. Too bad the poster of the General Lee is hidden by it though :(

You might want to make a top that fits around the lights to protect against salt creep.

Nice work. Too bad the poster of the General Lee is hidden by it though :(

You might want to make a top that fits around the lights to protect against salt creep.

The other wall has Daisy on it. ;)

I can take the top I cut off & fashion a top with it. I didn't think there would be a problem with salt creep. :why: