1200 watt generator for $100.00 pep boys?

SkiCurtis

I did a search on it... found a real person's review (somewhere like halfway down the page): http://liberalccw.blogspot.com/

I need something that can be used in an apartment, or the balcony.

I did a search on it... found a real person's review (somewhere like halfway down the page): http://liberalccw.blogspot.com/

I need something that can be used in an apartment, or the balcony.

I don't think you'll find a generator that can be used indoors (even balcony). Your best bet is to buy a Marine Deep Cycle battery and have it on stand by when the trouble hits. For under $100 you'll have hours of protection against power hits.

--Rob

(edited)

I bought one of these cheap-o generaters a few years ago.

It looked almost exactly like that one (same plug layout, same shape, same gas cap location, size, same pull cord location, etc), and cost about $100.

I tested it, it worked...I then stored it in my basement.

A couple weeks later I smell gas upstairs.

I go into my basement to find that the generator has spilled all of it's gas onto the basement floor (near pilot lights for boiler and hot water heater).

It's amazing my house didn't burn down.

I don't know why it happened, but I'm soured forever on those things. Especially the cheap ones.

I inspected it several months later for quite a while. I found that the gas line appeared brittle and cracked. It did not look like it was chewed by a mouse or anything like that.

All it takes is a cheap inverter, car, and extension cord and you can run your tank until you run out of gas...and then gas up. Totally superior to relying on a single battery which will run down IMO. I use a 750 watt inverter that cost well under $100. Works perfectly.

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

I don't think you'll find a generator that can be used indoors (even balcony). Your best bet is to buy a Marine Deep Cycle battery and have it on stand by when the trouble hits. For under $100 you'll have hours of protection against power hits.

--Rob

What I have is a jump starter battery which has a cig lighter-type connection, and when the lights were out a I went to get a small inverter... by the time I got home the electric was back on, so I haven't opened the inverter yet to test things out. I need still to check the watts of things to make sure the inverter is big enough. I've also got a spare car battery.... would a car batter last longer than a jump starter battery?

Honeslty if you want the longest lasting battery go with a marine deep cycle(for electronics not starting) you don't need all those cranking amps like for cars or boat starting.... anyway hope it helps I used to sell bateries!

(edited)

I definitely need to invest in a generator... Just don't know which one to get. $100 is pretty cheap for a generator, but I also don't want it to explode or break in 1 yr.

Edited by tygger

I definitely need to invest in a generator... Just don't know which one to get. $100 is pretty cheap for a generator, but I also don't want it to explode or break in 1 yr.

If you are going to make the investment, why not go with something that can power more than your tank. If you go the cheap route, you'll be cussing yourself when the power goes out this winter and your fish are all warm and happy but you're freezing your a$$ off. :biggrin:

I think this is one of those 'you get what you pay for'. You might need to invest a little in a quality generator, but doing so along with general maintenance will result in a dependable solution when you need it the most.

I remember thinking the same thing the last time we had a huge power outage... but this time, I'm actually going to purchase one.

As for quiet generators, I saw and heard the Honda inverter generators (EU1000 or 2000) in person and they are amazingly quiet. But they're not a very good bang for your buck power source.

I'd like to find a generator by comparing the noise output and fuel efficiency. I'd probably just want to run a a pump or two and maybe a tv. Any recommendations?