Aquascaping... at a loss!

MisterTang

(edited)

Hi all,

Just discovered WAMAS, and am hoping to become a full-fledged member later this month. You guys have a great community here!

I've just bummed three tanks totaling well over a hundred gallons from a co-worker cleaning out his basement, and I'm totally stressing over the aquascaping job on this. I just don't seem to have a knack for making anything that resembles 'aesthetically pleasing'.

Unfortunately, I'm also currently a VT grad student, so I can't just shell out 1K+ for some decent Tonga LR. I need some ideas for some good base rock that nobody'll see, but will still facilitate ammonia/nitrite/nitrate reduction.

What I was hoping someone might be able to help me with is (1) Some plans/photos of a PVC frame, because I bought some PVC and set it up like stairs, and it just doesn't seem like it would look good at all with rock sitting on it, (2) Some 'cheapskate' ideas for base rock and (3) A few pointers or methods you use for aquascaping. I've currently got a 10 gallon FOWLR setup, and have attached a photo so you can get an idea of the lack of design ability I have.

I know I'll never have the TOTM, but I'd at least like to make my setup look cool, but am at a total loss on where to start :(. Thanks in advance for any replies!

post-2631585-1211389266_thumb.jpg

Edited by MisterTang

HI! I'd focus on one tank at a time and do some reading. Questions like do you want it to look like a reef, atoll, island, 2 islands, have the rock go from front to back or vice versa or side to side, how tall, caves vs no caves can tend to help. I think you also may want to invest in 1-2 med. size pieces. Many WAMAS members sell live rock for a reasonable price. The other thought would be to drill holes through the rock and stack it up using a rod to join it togehter to create tiers/shelves. Our last speaker talked about doing just that and if you look up the 500 (?) gallon thread of Json's (cyntrophene? SP?) you'll see he did the same but in a grander scale. HTH.

Hi, just giving a welcome to you. Can't help though, as I totally stink at scaping.

MrT welcome to our site!

:cheers:

First of all, be honest with yourself on your time committment to taking care of the tank and your resources (Both financially and room wise) to take care of it! Don't get me wrong, I don't want you not to do with it, but try to work with your means and stay with it and you'll be happier for it for now!

Second, you mentioned "three tanks totaling well over a hundred gallons", so you have a tank that is more than the 10g tank your showing. In Saltwater tanks, more is better in that with more water, errors are slower and easier to over come then a 10g tank setup. I know, I had a 10g tank at my office and was a pain to keep up with it being that it was so small you had to do more things to it more often, just in smaller scale!

So that being said, consider how you plan on answering the following steps:

#1 Water: Will you be using the recommended RO/DI setup that can be had for about $150 online? OR, purchasing bottles of RO/DI water from LFS OR possibly using tap water with Amquel (least recommended way) to keep your water free from Phosphates, minerals, Cholrine, etc?

#2 Cleaning the water, Best way is a Skimmer System (What type?) Depending on the size of the tank, could be Hang on the Back, Sump setup with in water or out skimmer?

#3 Live rock, I know this was your initial question, but look at the first "first" before you worry about the way it looks. BTW, The first $20 you spend will be for the membership and then you'll get a chance to see all the deals going on around here, "Better hide your wallet!!!" :lol2:

#1 Water: Will you be using the recommended RO/DI setup that can be had for about $150 online? OR, purchasing bottles of RO/DI water from LFS OR possibly using tap water with Amquel (least recommended way) to keep your water free from Phosphates, minerals, Cholrine, etc?

may I ask for a link to this RO/DI setup? or what is it?

Ebay Units for about that much, need to keep an eye out for deals:

Ebay search under RO/DI units

Kind you might look for basic needs:

Simple but works!

Noticed several units on sale lately in FOR SALE SECTION with members leaving the group.

Others might have more recommendations, there are alot of types.

Either of those are fine. The five stage is better.

<snip...>

So that being said, consider how you plan on answering the following steps:

#2 Cleaning the water, Best way is a Skimmer System (What type?) Depending on the size of the tank, could be Hang on the Back, Sump setup with in water or out skimmer?

#3 Live rock, I know this was your initial question, but look at the first "first" before you worry about the way it looks. BTW, The first $20 you spend will be for the membership and then you'll get a chance to see all the deals going on around here, "Better hide your wallet!!!" :lol2:

1.) I get pre-mixed stuff from LFS weekly. Having such a small tank with no sump and no skimmer pretty much necessitates more frequent water changes. I haven't had any problem with ammonia or nitrites since I got my 10g cycled with my LR, but I'm lacking a decent natural means of nitrate reduction with my current setup. This is the biggest reason why I'm excited to go to a bigger setup, as it will allow me to use a sump, and be a little more resilient to changes in water quality.

2.) I already have a sump design I've sketched out based on one of the freebie tanks I'm getting (29g). This includes a chamber for a skimmer. If I can afford it, I'd like an Aqua-C, as I hear good things about 'em. I know they're necessary for a stable setup, but I think the price these companies charge for a plastic assembly to manage air and bubbles is just rape, so I had also considered the DIY route.

3.) I wasn't exactly sure what you were getting at here, but I definitely am planning to have LR in my tank. I would like to cure my own base stuff in a big RubberMaid container using refugium rubble and some seed material from my established tank if possible, and then get some Tonga to put on my top show layer. I could then use the refugium rubble in the first chamber of my sump. If you have any suggestions on where to get some calcium carbonate material for this purpose, I'd be most appreciative :)

Where are you located?

Go Hokies!

I work in the Reston area, and live north of Leesburg.

:blush: Have never been to a Hokies game. Guess that's what you'd expect with a computer nerd :lol2:

Sounds good!

Small tank with a big sump will work great for you!

Be careful if your planning on drilling a hole for an overflow in your 10g tank, the glass on small tanks I believe if I'm right is not tempered or is tempered and can break VERY easily! But if you do an overflow with bulkhead or HOB overflow, should work great! Keep us posted on pics! :biggrin:

10g tanks are not tempered but break very easily when drilled. I did one with a diamond tip dremel bit without a problem. Hole saws will probably break the tank

1) I'd paint the back of your tank with marine paint. (on the outside of the glass). Most people use black, but I think the marine blue is a better choice.

2) Try to buy rocks that are 'interesting'. ie. lots of holes, nookes and crannys. Rocks that are just boulders are really only good for two things; base rocks and breaking them apart to mount frags on.

3) When you're aquascaping think about where you usually look at your tank from and try *not* to block the view from there. Also, caves = places for your critters to hide / live in. The the more the better. I have one rock the is a home for: 2 spiny head blennys (in the rock), 1 yellow assesor (under the rock),a long spine mini-urchin (under and in the rock), an indian ocean blue pistol shrimp (under the rock) and not to mention all the corals growing on it.

4) Put the little rocks under the big rocks. It's counter intuitive, but it will help build extra caves.

5) Mo caves = mo betta. Fish seem to like to swim in and around the rocks, so the more paths the mo betta.

If you havn't purchases lighting yet I would look into a used 24 gallon aquapod they are pretty cool anyway I hope you get your tank in order:)

Sounds good!

Small tank with a big sump will work great for you!

Be careful if your planning on drilling a hole for an overflow in your 10g tank, the glass on small tanks I believe if I'm right is not tempered or is tempered and can break VERY easily! But if you do an overflow with bulkhead or HOB overflow, should work great! Keep us posted on pics! :biggrin:

Howard,

Thanks for the encouragement. Sorry for the confusion - I currently have a 10g, and am getting some freebie tanks that will allow me to move to bigger - 55-75 gallons in the main tank.

My incoming tank is not reef-ready, so I will either have to do HOB (yuck!) or drill it (yikes!). I absolutely cannot have any flooding whatsoever (I have to put down painter's plastic when I do water changes to avoid drips!), so was told to avoid HOB altogether. I have never drilled glass before, so am not sure if this is a good option either.

I am excited about having a sump/'fuge, and will not consider starting up my bigger incoming tanks without one. I desperately need a way of nitrate reduction that beats super-frequent water changes and manic litmus testing.

55-75 gallons

Good choice!

put down painter's plastic when I do water changes to avoid drips!),

I recommend putting down rubber bottom runner rugs that you can p/u by the foot at HD! Will protect under the stand, make quieter and provides some protection from drips! Cheap insurance.

Mr. Tang

Hi and welcome to the group. I joined sometime back I mainly use all the traffic I see a means of gathering knowledge and further increasing the beauty of the tank. I have been doing freshwater for many years but just last year I took the leap. It was a great one and will never go back. :) With that all the advice is great here, drilling your tank is easy not very hard, and you just need lots of water and patience when drilling. If you go to www.youtube.com you will find several videos of drilling glass. Also BRK (Blue Ribbon Koi) has received a new shipment of various sizes of diamond drill bits. And with that information you will find lots of pet shops you would have never thought of thru this site.

Your rocks can easily be obtained, I would recommend you do a search in the WAMAS forums and see if anybody has some for sale. You'd be surprised some of the members have too much or they just want to try a different style rock. I started with base (shale) rock then purchased some Tonga live rock. But after a year the rock is nice and full of neat looking animals but I now have a tank full of Fiji rock, thanks to BRK. And also you have various choices on your substrate do you want sugar sized sand; normal sized, or crushed corals. You will find many opinions of what kinds of sand you will use I went with the sugar since it will help the nassarius snails and brittle stars shift the sand better. This will cut cyano from even thinking of rearing its ugly head. LOL Well good luck and do lots of readings I even purchased a book called Reef Keeping Secrets in there you will find lots of info from various fish to anemones even corals and all the feeding habits and light requirements for each animal. :rollface:

NOW you tell me that! :biggrin: I wish I had known to do this for my tank!