corals

L8 2 RISE

I was hoping someone could give me a jumpstart on corals and anemones, what is fragging how and when should it be done? what is this whole thing with cutting your anemone in half :eek:. etc. etc. what test kits should I have etc etc I just need a jump start!!!!

Your tank is having nitrate issue. The first thing is to get that issue down and out, then moving forward toward corals + anemone.

Keeping anemone in a 12G has been done before. It's not impossible; however, I would recommend against it if the water quality is not in excellent condition. Especially, your tank water is still consider as a young tank. I would wait a few more months for at least a year since the tank was originally setup to keep an anemone.

HTH,

KLee

(edited)

I dont plan on getting corals or anemones any time soon, I just want to know more..... I get really confused in the other threads when people start talkin coral and anenome talk...

"would wait a few more months for at least a year since the tank was originally setup to keep an anemone."

I also dont understand this

Edited by L8 2 RISE

I was told a really long time ago, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, "before you take on a project or hobby you should read everything you can get hands on". I recommend you read at least a few books on reef keeping and salt water aquariums before you get too far into this hobby. Here is a thread I started to figure out good books to read. http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=21553 I have found that it is wise and less expensive to learn from others experiences and mistakes. This is particularly true with the expense portion, I have recently change my sump and pumps in order to account for a poor design that did not consider microbubbles created from fast and turbulent flow in the sump. I was very disappointed to say the least. Also, I started my tank just 6 months ago and I still consider my tank young. Your tank is still in an initial cycle period. This is a very important period of time for your tank. The reason for this is that your tank is a small ecosystem that requires both "oxygen using" aerobic and "non oxygen using" anaerobic bacteria to control waste products called ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. These substances must be removed from the water since ammonia, nitrites, and only HIGH levels of nitrates is NOT compatible with life in your tank. As your system matures the bacteria grow to meet the supply and demand of waste products your tank. This can take a very long time. Once your tank has reached a stable point or balance the water quality will improve along with frequent water changes and effective protein skimming. Anenomes require this excellent water quality to survive in capativity. This also is especially important since you have a 12 gallon tank. Another phrase you should remember is "The solution to pollution is dilution". Your 12 gallon tank does not have the water volume to dilute out waste products or other potential problems and as a result it requires tremendous care and patience to prevent catastrophic results. Some test kits you should consider getting are as follows

1. pH, 2. Ammonia, 3. Nitrite, 4. Nitrate, 5. Phosphorus, 6. Calcium, 7. Alkalinity, 8. Magnesium. I would consider getting Salifert brand.

Hope this helps. John Yauger

Some test kits you should consider getting are as follows

1. pH, 2. Ammonia, 3. Nitrite, 4. Nitrate, 5. Phosphorus, 6. Calcium, 7. Alkalinity, 8. Magnesium. I would consider getting Salifert brand.

Hope this helps. John Yauger

John,

Why does one test fpr Phosphorous (algae?) and Magnesium?

Thanks,

Eric.

Phos will feed algae and also inhibit coral growth. Mag is used as a counter ion for balancing Ca and CO3 concentrations. Keeps more Ca and CO3 in solution.

david

All the clips from that night here:

http://www.reefescape.net/videos.htm

IMHO the issue with adding an anemone too soon is a funtion more of your knowledge and getting the tank stable and consistant. I've added BTAs (and just about any kind of coral) to tanks just a month or two after setting them up without any issue. BUT I wouldn't suggest it to someone new to the hobby.

Good luck and see you at the next FRAG-FEST!!

Phil

When you are ready for an anemone you could consider a carpet 'nem. They are sligther harder to keep BUT they stay small- 1-2' MAX.- are pretty & cool and once settled don't really roam far. Your system needs to settle and any rock present needs to be permeated with needed bacteria as well as getting things in balance. A nano can get off balance fairly quickly. By waiting to add corals and 'nems, you can learn what does and doesn't throw your system off. My 10 gallon had only 2 small fish and 1-2 corals in it. Water evaporated quickly and sometimes my SGH was pretty high. I soon learned by looking at the tank when to add more water that had a little salt in it to balnce it all out. That is learned over time. So don't take it to hard when posts say take your time. :) We all want it right away then later realize 'Hey, cool I like that coral or fish or ______ and realize it's not compatible with______ that's in our current tank. So enjoy and take a long draft of patience and read several good books. HTH.

thanks for the advice, I'll look into getting a few books :) I've seen that video before, but WHY would you cut the anmemone?

Anemones (i.e Bubble tips) if left alone will eventually split/clone naturally. To speed up the process and if carefully done, you can opt to manually cut the anemone.

Anemones (i.e Bubble tips) if left alone will eventually split/clone naturally. To speed up the process and if carefully done, you can opt to manually cut the anemone.

oh, thanks

When you are ready for an anemone you could consider a carpet 'nem. They are sligther harder to keep BUT they stay small- 1-2' MAX.- are pretty & cool and once settled don't really roam far. Your system needs to settle and any rock present needs to be permeated with needed bacteria as well as getting things in balance. A nano can get off balance fairly quickly. By waiting to add corals and 'nems, you can learn what does and doesn't throw your system off. My 10 gallon had only 2 small fish and 1-2 corals in it. Water evaporated quickly and sometimes my SGH was pretty high. I soon learned by looking at the tank when to add more water that had a little salt in it to balnce it all out. That is learned over time. So don't take it to hard when posts say take your time. :) We all want it right away then later realize 'Hey, cool I like that coral or fish or ______ and realize it's not compatible with______ that's in our current tank. So enjoy and take a long draft of patience and read several good books. HTH.

:eek:

Carpet anemones are one of the most difficult species to keep and often do not survive beyond a few weeks to months from the time they arrive. They do not ship well and they don't acclimate all that well. Also, the fact that they get to 1-2' is indicative of the fact that they are too large for a system that is only 12 gallons... they're too large for most systems. They are also one of the most aggressive anemones out there - they will eat fish, corals, snails, other anemones, anything that stumbles into them. Holly, I think you might have been thinking of the mini-tapetums or carpet anemones? They are hardier, but in my very limited experience with them they are also somewhat aggressive. I have a couple that have been hanging out waiting for the right school tank to populate, and I find that they are very aggressive and if my finger even brushes against them, they stick to them more than my bubble tips do, despite the fact that they are only the size of a quarter. I wouldn't add an anemone to a 12 gallon tank at any time due to the fact that an organsim that is almost all water can swell to overtake your tank without a problem and an organism that produces slime like this could easily overburden your system as well.

It can be a little overwhelming at first so stick with easy corals... thats my advice ...just because something is pretty doesn't mean it belongs in your tank..... Personally I have a intreasting nano set up but I will not put a anemonie in my tank because they are hard to keep I also stay away from sps.. but everything else is game... just my thoughts.... I would recomend you start a stocking list to see who goes with who