BEST WAVEMAKER?

I would like to know what wavemaker (powerhead timer) works best with maxi jets with the modification (a.k.a. maxi mod) I have 2 of them. Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Russ

I would like to know what wavemaker (powerhead timer) works best with maxi jets with the modification (a.k.a. maxi mod) I have 2 of them. Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Russ

I think that the Red Sea Wavemaster Pro is a good one for the maxi-jets. However, I have heard that the modded maxijets shouldn't be used with a wavemaker.

I think that the Red Sea Wavemaster Pro is a good one for the maxi-jets. However, I have heard that the modded maxijets shouldn't be used with a wavemaker.

+1 ,for the money, esp if you can get one used, its the best.

If you have more expensive products, like tunze or korilia (sp on both?) the there are specific controllers for each which arent cheap.

Alternatively, if you are thinking of buying one new, then check out aquacontrollers, which have them built in, to my understanding, with all their other services.

Alternatively, if you are thinking of buying one new, then check out aquacontrollers, which have them built in, to my understanding, with all their other services.

This is true but then you use up 4 sockets.

I have my wave maker into one socket so I can take advantage of the FEEDa-d cycles or timer on/off programs.

The aquasurf still uses 4 sockets.

I do have 2 PH's on the ACIII for my frag tank.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have the red sea wavemaker and I do like it. I used it with 4 maxijets (modded). Problems I had were with the maxijets. One of then were plugged in and I never turned it off. The other 3 were connected to the wavemaker and it gave me problems. I guess they do not last long becuase it was constantly being turned off and on. Sometimes it will not turn on, other times it will spin backwards. Perhaps another type of powerhead should be used or a maxi jet that is not modded. The powerhead that was alway on lasted about 1 year until the metal broke. Hope this helps.

I've been using the Maxi-Jet Natural Wavemaker strip since April (another one of my bargain buys!). I have it connected to two modded maxi-jets.

I believe the reason its not recommended is because when the modded Maxi-jet fires up, it has the potential to spin backwards. There is a little "stopper" on the inside of the mod-cap to stop a backwards spin, and then the maxi-jet self corrects. What I found on the MJ900 (and under) was that sometimes it when it fired up, the little "stopper" wouldn't stop the propeller and it would run backwards (pulling in water and distributing it out of the sides). Other times, it would go click loudly as it hit the stopper repeatedly before self-correcting. It was not an acceptable noise for us.

However, on the MJ1200 (and with the bigger propeller) the powerhead was strong enough (if you study how the mechanism works, it makes sense) to prevent incidents of running backwards, or going through the loud clicking startup.

Only four months of test running, so maybe the sample size isn't big enough. But that's my experience.

Regards,

Jon

Honestly, nothing compares to the powerheads/wavemakers that pulse their energy levels up and down, and not just cut off and on. A couple years ago I thought I would never jump into the arena of the more expensive pumps and thought the constant flow pumps is all you needed. After selling my first set of frags, and using the money to get my first Tunze, and having my entire coral livestock react in an amazingly positive way, I will never go back to regular flow pumps again. I mean all my corals had their tentacles and polyps extended farther than I'd ever seen them. It was like I had completely different anemones in my tank. My Riteri loved the pulsing of the flow. I would say to save you money up and get some controllable pumps. Stalk the boards on Reefcentral and on ebay to find good deals. You can usually find new pumps around 1/4 off their new price tags, and can get used pumps even cheaper.

• 2 months later...

Just tacking an observation to this old thread:

I have had two maxi-jets (900 and 1200) hooked up to a wavetimer. In both cases the impeller broke through the shaft seat (the cap that sticks out of the back and can been scene when the plate is taken off) after 5-6 months. I'm assuming since it was not intended for this type of intermittent use, and because of the pressure induced by the propeller, the plastic cannot stand up to the wear and tear. I fixed it by covering over with epoxy up to the case. We'll see if this holds.

Jon

The Chauvet light timer is absolutely the best bang for your buck!

We have one controlling our actuated ball valve on our closed loop. Can't beat the features for the cost.

EBAY - Chauvet Light Timers

-Jess

Jess, interesting idea. Can you tell me more about the actuated ball valve? Maybe a link and a quick description of your setup?