Problem Fish - Help

reefhunter

I put an elibi angel in my 220 mixed reef. He hasn't killed anything but he nips and harasses many corals.

My tank would be much better off without him. For a while he seemed to be leaving everything alone, but I have reduced feeding due to a cyano outbreak.

I have a fish trap that is great for catching tangs, but not so great at catching dwarf angels. Short of taking the water out to get him, I dont know what to do.

Any Ideas?

If you have a solution and can come get him... you can have him!

11/12/2005 05:43 PM

Anthony Calfo

Parapterois heterura

The BAG in a BAG METHOD:

This is my favorite way of catching realy shy or elusive fishes from the reef tank. Dwarf angels, basslets and the like can be had this way with little disturbance to the tank as long as you have a little bit of patience

Take a fairly large plastic bag (new and sturdy 3-4mil preferably). Size relative to the fish being caught... but typically a 10X22" catches most home reef aquarium fishes.

Fold the top of the bag down about 2" to make a sturdy collar and sink this bag into the aquarium while removing all air from in and under it (the collar).

Place the bag expanded (fluff it out so it is a bit spacious) in the aquarium... but MOST IMPORTANTLY lean it against the rockscape so that shy fishes are more likely to slip by or in it (security) as opposed to waiting with it in open water. duh!

The Bait: take a tiny golf-ball sized plastic bag of concentrated live bring shrimp... tie it off, then throw it into the back of the large sunken bag trap.

Then... with a bowl of additional live brine shrimp in a slurry, you sit near the tank (lights off in the room) and occasionally squirt (turkey baster) just a little bit of brine shrimp into the mouth of the bag every few minutes as needed.

The obvious ploy here is to lure fishes to the mouth of the bag and tease them with the "motherload" in the back! (the small tied off bag of concentrated live food)

Now of course... every other fish and its brother that you do not want to catch will enter the bag first But eventually the shy fish will too... and when it does, you are sitting several feet away from the tank with a piece of fishing string that was tied around the neck of the bag, under the collar... and pull!

You'd be amazed how well this works for really elusive fishes. It takes time though... and patience.

But if you are afreared to drain your tank or use other methods... this may be an option.

Kindly,

Anthony

I put an elibi angel in my 220 mixed reef. He hasn't killed anything but he nips and harasses many corals.

My tank would be much better off without him. For a while he seemed to be leaving everything alone, but I have reduced feeding due to a cyano outbreak.

I have a fish trap that is great for catching tangs, but not so great at catching dwarf angels. Short of taking the water out to get him, I dont know what to do.

Any Ideas?

If you have a solution and can come get him... you can have him!

Okay then... I MUST develop a line of tiny spearguns... I had planned to call them the Damsel, but Ebili sounds kind of exotic.

bob

Well, as some of you know I've been trying to catch evil goby #2, who so far had turned out to be a lot smarter than I am. Read this post today and decided to give it a try, though had to use frozen brine since I don't have live. Took several hours, but I just kept an eye on it and sure enough, curiousity finally won out and evil goby #2 has been nabbed! Of course, none of the other fish paid the bag any attention whatsoever, but I did put it right next to the goby's favorite place to hang out. Woo hoo! :clap:

To catch my blenny which was eating my clams, I took a length of 1" pvc and connected it to a 90 and another 3-4" of pvc, making an L. I left this in the tank and used it as a feeding tube for a couple of days. When the blenny got comfortable enough and began using it as a home, I simply stuck something in the water near the end of the pipe to scare him into it and he swam up and into the tube which I lifted out. If you do this with larger pipe, I'm pretty sure that an angel would swim into it, especially if you have one that's as hungry as you say. You may have to sit and wait for the right fish to swim in, but I'm pretty confident that you'll catch it. All of my fish started to swim into the pipe as far as they could, but only the blenny could really negotiate it due to the size.

Guest webshout

Well, as some of you know I've been trying to catch evil goby #2, who so far had turned out to be a lot smarter than I am. Read this post today and decided to give it a try, though had to use frozen brine since I don't have live. Took several hours, but I just kept an eye on it and sure enough, curiousity finally won out and evil goby #2 has been nabbed! Of course, none of the other fish paid the bag any attention whatsoever, but I did put it right next to the goby's favorite place to hang out. Woo hoo! :clap:

Congrats! From what you were saying at AO, the fish was a royal PIA. Great job!

• 3 months later...

Ok so this particular fish doesn't want anything to do with any traps. I think he stays nice and fat eating coral and other things growing in the tank... no interest in mysis cyclopeez flakes etc..

I dont want to drain it.. mainly because I dont have 200 gallons of containers... and also because I am afraid some things wouldn't do well from the stress....

I have to get this fish out...

Any other ideas? I will give $100.00 if someone can come get him out without destroying anything!

To catch my blenny which was eating my clams, I took a length of 1" pvc and connected it to a 90 and another 3-4" of pvc, making an L. I left this in the tank and used it as a feeding tube for a couple of days. When the blenny got comfortable enough and began using it as a home, I simply stuck something in the water near the end of the pipe to scare him into it and he swam up and into the tube which I lifted out. If you do this with larger pipe, I'm pretty sure that an angel would swim into it, especially if you have one that's as hungry as you say. You may have to sit and wait for the right fish to swim in, but I'm pretty confident that you'll catch it. All of my fish started to swim into the pipe as far as they could, but only the blenny could really negotiate it due to the size.

Dave,

This is a great idea, thanks for sharing.

Maureen

I do my hunting at night with the lights out. I keep a red light handy then scoop as required. But I do like the "L" bent shape trap very cool. :)

(edited)

Ok so get this... I drained my tank down to two inches and got nervous about my big tangs who were about to be out of water behind large rocks.... I was able to net the sailfin because she is huge and just didn't know where to go. Everyone else was behind rocks. I have 300 lbs of live rock in a 200 gallon tank and most pieces are 40-80lbs! I didn't even see the problem fish during the draining... !

I hope I didn't kill anything!

I tried for a day with a spear and actually grazed him once but now he knows whats up...

I give up for now... might try the spear and traps in the future!

Good lesson for people with large reefs.... I am such an idiot for buying that fish...

Any other ideas?

I may be downgrading in the near future (fish tank needs to be upstairs instead of the basement) and this is a good reason to do it sooner than later......

Edited by reefhunter

What kind of fish specifically are you trying to catch? Just want to make sure I don't get one.

Sorry, I am talking to Hillary, or was. What type of goby?

Edited by CHUBAKAH