multiple firefish gobies?

Larry Grenier

I keep hearing conflicting stories about putting more than one of these guys together in a tank. What are your experiences & opinions? The tank is a 96gal NAGA custom mixed reef. Roomates will be green chromis, Yellow tang, and cleaner shrimp for sure, and plan on Royal Gramma or Blackcap Basslet, Bicolor or Midas blenny, Pajama Cardinalfish, and maybe a number Anthias or a few tangs.

Multiple anthias and multiple tangs discussion later.

We have a pair of purple firefish. We specifically bought them as a pair from BRK. Johnny couldn't vouch for their sex, but they were compatible at BRK for two weeks, and they've been fine here for six weeks. They sleep together under the same rock in our display, and did so in QT as well. I think the trick is to put them in together, maybe? :why:

Ours hid in QT the whole time except to eat. That was for four weeks. In our display, after about a week, they got bolder and now they hang out in the water column for hours at a time. I think they are pretty shy fish: I've read that you can't have a whole tank full of boisterous fish who compete with them for food, or bully them. We have a fairly calm tank: two tangs, one clownfish, and a CBB besides Fred and Ginger (the purple firefishies). So far, I've been making sure they get their fair share of food, and they're doing fine, imho.

Edited by FishWife

I agree strongly with what SanJay mentioned, buy fish in pair and you will be MORE happier, besides they will have a buddy and will be out in the water colume more!

I'd have a pair of Firefish now and they are out and about more often then in pairs. Also had a Pair of Purple Firefish with the pair of regular Firefish in the 90g and all seemed to get along "ok" but might have got a bit crowded, so will for the sake of this post, recommend ONLY 1 pair of one or other!

Haven't had much luck personally. Bought 2 -- ended up with one after a week. Bought 3 more for a total of 4 -- ended up with 1 after a few weeks. That was probably over a year ago and the lone survivor (my son calls him "Tuckerfish", after himself) is still doing great.

I've had red,purple,sisscor, and helfrick all in the same tank, they justed schooled. They are very peaceful, just make sure you have a top on your tank because they do jump.

Eric

I've had red,purple,sisscor, and helfrick all in the same tank, they justed schooled. They are very peaceful, just make sure you have a top on your tank because they do jump.

Eric

They sure do. After I finished breaking down my 55G and sold the tank, I found a dried up firefish in the back :(

Have a pair of Helfrichi in my 29 gallon no problem with the pair, but when I tried to add a flasher wrasse it scared the daylights out of the helfrichi so I had to remove it. Not sure why but maybe cuz it has same type of body?? Also have three purple firefish in daughters nano with no problems. Good Luck

I had a similar experience. My gf bought 5; one-by-one over the course of a few weeks, all but one jumped out. And that was in a 180g. I didn't have anything to keep them from jumping out, though. Part of me wants to try to have several again, 'cause they're so cool looking, now that I have egg-crate I can put to keep things from jumping out. Plus, now that I got rid of my only ("semi-")aggressive fish (bicolor pseucochromis), the firefish can spread out if they can't get along...

The one remaining fish is still around and lives in a little nook with my watchman goby (and I think my peppermint shrimp as well).

Haven't had much luck personally. Bought 2 -- ended up with one after a week. Bought 3 more for a total of 4 -- ended up with 1 after a few weeks. That was probably over a year ago and the lone survivor (my son calls him "Tuckerfish", after himself) is still doing great.

I bought 4, ended up with 2. Tried adding some more, always ended up with 2. They are very proficient jumpers, so if you are considering adding some make sure your tank is jumper-proof.

Has anybody else had problems with having wrasse in the tank making them even nuttier? I've been thinking of adding a male and harem of flasher wrasse, but will go with chromis or anthias if that will drive my firefish crazy. (Hope this still remains within the subject of the thread.)