4ft T5 users. Can u do me a favor?

Gadgets

I need to know the exact length of the bulb and end caps. They are going in a canopy and I need to make sure that they fit. Thanks!

I need to know the exact length of the bulb and end caps. They are going in a canopy and I need to make sure that they fit. Thanks!

Chris,

You can take a look at my 2' icecap retro kit if you like. don't forget you need space for the wires coming out of the endcaps.

The bulbs and end caps are on the way. i just need to get some measurements to Bob for the canopy. Thanks!

I've installed a lot of retro kits into different brands of canopy. 4ft bulbs and caps will fit, never had a problem.

I just didn't know about space required for VHOs. Now that we know VHO bulbs also come in 46.5" lengths--no problem!

Anyone have measurements for 48" VHOs including end caps? Any benefits or drawbacks when comparing 46.5" and 48" VHO bulbs or than the length?

gallery_490_60_1272412.jpg

This my retrofit of the 4ft T5s. This is an Oceanic Top. Looking at the end of the bulbs you can see the piece of wood I added with the wires coming out of the endcaps to the inside (notice yellow wire on top bulb). The piece of wood I added is screwed into the inside lip of the Top. The outer edge of this inside lip is the greatest extent that the bulbs could extend to. I have about 1/2 inch on either end of the endcaps for clearance.

So, you should have no problem on a 48" tank.

From my limited experience, 24" VHO bulbs are 24", so the total length is like 25.5" with endcaps. I couldn't fit 36" VHOs into my 36" canopy, but I can fit 3' T5 bulbs in there because they are only 34.5". I would imagine 48" or 4' VHO bulbs are the same way.

I just didn't know about space required for VHOs. Now that we know VHO bulbs also come in 46.5" lengths--no problem!

Anyone have measurements for 48" VHOs including end caps? Any benefits or drawbacks when comparing 46.5" and 48" VHO bulbs or than the length?

I used to have 4ft T5s and the 46.5 VHOs mounted together. They are nearly identical in lenght (including bulb +end caps).

JM

Sorry to steal your thread a little, but:

BIGCOUNTRY,

How do you like the Tek 8 bulb? Doesn't it stick out a tad and there's some light loss? Did you ever try the 6 bulb configuration?

Can you keep clams and SPS towards the bottom?