New to WAMAS and the Reef hooby

DarthPaul

Hello all!

I am a new member to WAMAS and new to the SW hobby as well. Although new to SW I have plenty of experience in FW/ highgrowth planted tanks. currently breeding Honglsloi II Apistos...but on to the SW talk

Being new to the SW end of the hobby I chose to start somewhat small...I purchased the 24G AquaPod from Current. I know that the bigger the you go the more leeway you tend to have when problems arrive .......but I am used to normal water changes and proper care of water quality etc. and would rather start small and learn the in-&-outs before dumping the $1000000000s....into my dream set-up for my first tank. I do think I am spending my money wisely in the fact that other thanthe sand I will be able to use all my equipment I have/purchased for this first tank on any tank I plan on getting in the future.

Some tid bits about the tank:

24g Aquapod

standard PC lighting(32w reg/32w all acitnic)(DIY upgrade in future for more light)

Upgraded return pump to maxijet 1200, Stock pump is being used in tank for extra flow

(may have to ditch the stock pump cause it apparently getspretty warm and can throw my tempsup)

Stealth heater in sump (will be gone with light upgrade(DIY)..no need to heat)

1 Bag of Live Sand (3pd bag?) about 2-3 inch sand bed. Sugar sized argonite.

22pds Live Rock (11pds Aquarium One-Prem Fiji, 11pds Tropical Fish World Prem Fiji -tank cured)

Removed all filter media and 1/4 full 1st/overflow chamber of LR rubble-chunks(plan on light for refug)

Instant Ocean Salt, Tests= Api (Amm, Nitrate, Nitrite, KH, GH(fw only really), Phos) Seachem=(Calcium Pro set, Alk, Marine PH).

Tank has been up and running with LR/LS for 1 week and a few days..saw the normal test spikes and the levels on all params (amm, Nitrate, trites, salinityetc...) have been dropping rapidly the past few days. YEAH! Will continue to check them reguarly but think having plenty of LR/LS has just basically rapid cycled the tank. If levels go to 0 and check out for a few days I will drop in my Clean-up Crew and monitor if any spikes re-occur.

Current params:

Amm= 0.25ppm(mg/L)

Nitrate= 5.0ppm

Nitrite= 0.25ppm

Phos= 0.5ppm

Alk= 8 meg/L (too high?)

Calc= 250mg/L

Salinity= 1.024

Ph= 8.2

Plan to start with medium light softies, zoas, anenomes, etc....and eventually move to some higher light species along with a lighting upgrade. Would like to keep stock hood look and get at least a 70w HQI MH in there with DIY plans...heat will be the biggest issue of course. If I cannot keep the temps down with fan increase I will look at a chiller option( Some nano ones for $100 or so). Fish wise I would like a Clown Pair mixed with a goby and a blenny combo most likely...along with my clean up crew and a shrimp/starfish or two. That would be it...dont want to overstock...weekly-bi weekly water changes should keep up

Please feel free to chime in and provide any recommendations/comments on my current set up...I do believe you can never know enough and I know the members on this site are packed with hands on experience that can only be learned in the game. So any feedback is appreciated to me ...good or bad.

Also...currently looking for frags/critters to get me started....hit me up with an email/pm if looking to sell/donate any good starter frags to get me going. I really like Yellows, bright greens, purple/blues so especially if you have some of these colors. I paid my membership so I will be hitting up the classified section as well. Take a look at the tank as of now....

gallery_2631456_334_39746.jpg

Edited by DarthPaul

Welcome aboard Paul!

It looks like you have put a lot of thought into this and you are off to a good start as a result. Love the aquascaping job you did!

You might consider adding your location to your profile so the generous and very helpful WAMAS members in MD will realize that you are a neighbor and invite you over for coffee/beer and a bit o' reef talk.

Hi, welcome to Wamas!

Regarding the lighting, when you upgrade, upgrade to T-5s... they do the job without the heat and expense of halides.

Welcome. I have baby tomato clownfish if you want a pair and some pulsing Xenia when you're ready.

Wreck

Welcome.

When I put my 90g up, I let the tank cycle for 6 weeks (lights off for the first four) and then added snails and crabs. From there I just let it go for 3 months before I put any corals into it. It was then 6 or 7 months before the first fish went into it. Never a problem with algae.

My point is dont rush it, but everyone has their own schedule/plan.

Good Luck.

Hi and welcome,

I'm sure by now you hear the one common advice from the seasoned folks here is that for you to take your time and go slowly. As hard of a temptation as it is to quickly add things into your tank, this hobby is one of those that you need to approach slowly. Else you risk crashing your tank and or deal with severe algae problem. Looks like you already have a good set up going. Now, it's time to take a break from it and let nature take its course until your tank is fully stabilize, then start adding things to it. Best of luck.

Hi and Welcome!!

What you've done is spent the best $20 you will ever spend in this hobby. This club is awesome.

When I was reading you post, one thing jumped out at me. It was the fact that you said you're going to ditch your heater once you upgrade your lighting (because of the heat of the lighting). Salt water gets cold, FAST! Unless your heater is on the fritz, it shouldn't be running when the tank temp is higher than the set value. So, it would be best to keep the heater in order to control temperature swings.

Welcome to the hobby...you're wallet will want a divorce.. ;)

You can rest assured that I plan on taking my time with this. The saying is still true for FW set-ups concerning plants/ferts etc .... Bad things happen quickly, good things take time.

I dont plan on putting anything live besides a few snails, crabs as a small clean-up crew when I see the levels come down.....say about another week 1/2 or so. That will be the only thing in the tank besides the rock until the end of March. That is when I plan I starting to stock with my fish/corals...assuming levels are stable. I have also purchased an RO/DI unit as well (The Coralife 50GPD unit.) This will save me lots of hassle/money in the long run and is probably the best purchase I could have made to date.

What I need to accomplish in the mean time is research/learn what corals that I want to keep that I will not get tired of over the years. Fish are pretty limited in small tank like this so looking at mostly smaller clowns, and smaller cleaners (goby, blenny.....others u would suggest?) I am looking now for some Cheato? to put in my 1st chamber fuge so if any one close thats willing to donate someor sell some to me just hit me with a pm or email.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Those of you who shop/use Aquarium One in Rockville feel free to stop by the appliance shop in the same shopping center. I work in the Bray & Scarff and always looking forward to meeting fellow aquarist. Of course if you are in the market for an appliance you can rest assured I will take good care of you. Just pop in and ask for Paul.

Cheers