What do you use?

jamesbuf

After setting up my new sump in the closet next to my tank, I'm having quite a bit of splashing leading to excessive salt creep. I'm curious to know what ingenious contraptions people have made to help keep the splashing to a minimum in their sump. My sump is just a 40gal breeder retrofitted with baffles, in case anyone is wondering.

Cut a piece or several large pieces of acrylic to make cover for the sump. Make sure you have enough surface wave agitation on the main tank to get additional O2 in.

attach 12 bulkheads to the side of my house and move the sump outside :biggrin:

I'm waiting for your tank tour so I can see that. A true reef-ready house.

I would totally do that.....if it were MY house.

I figured cutting some acrylic would do the job, but figured I'd check to see if anyone else had a better idea.

Hahahaha. Dan you're the first and it's going to be a long.........time if we ever see another brave person do something similar like yours. Actually, Justin did something similar, cut out the whole side wall to put up his 550G if that counts.

2 brave men in this club to name first in a short list. :)

Which part is splashing?

I have the tubing flowing a couple feet from the overflows to the sump. I've tried everything, from having the tubing just at the waters surface to having the tubing underwater. I had a little success with having the tubing sit on the baffles and the water come out along the surface, but the tubing moves all around and eventually goes askew.

How about you just make me one of those fancy filter sock holders!!!!

LOL I was just chicken to put a big tank IN my house. I figure that it being in the garage helps reduce the potential for leak damage :)

James, get a piece of closed cell foam and cut it to the shape of your sump, like I did my lids for my sump in the garage. No salt creep and you get insulation too. You only need 3/4" or 1" foam, I think it's about $15 for a 4x8 sheet. You can have a piece of mine for free if you want.

Alternatively, stuff chaetomorpha around your sump inputs and put a little light over it. That will stop microbubbles. Lengthen the input pipe to below water level to stop splashing.

A pic would help us give you suggestions.

You need to use pvc pipe, not tubing. run a pipe vertical, then just below water surface, make a tee and a few inches of pipe at either end. Cap those and drill some holes on the top and bottom of horizontal pipes. The top holes should be above the water, bottom holes below. Then put chaeto all around the tee/pipes. Very little noise, splashing, or microbubbles.

Thanks Justing and Jason. Those ideas are actually very similar and I think it'll work. I'm trying to keep my sump as just a sump, with no lights or anything. Once my Biodenitrator starts to kick in, I won't have to grow macroalgae to keep my nitrates down. I might still grow some caulerpa, but just to feed back to my tangs, and I have a separate drilled 10gal for that.