2 pairs clown in a 150G

bcjm

I am going to pick up a pair of blue strips clownfish. I am debating if I should remove my ocellaris pair. Can 2 pairs live peacefully in a 150G tank?

what is the lenght of your tank? how much rock are you planning to have in your aquascape?

Edited by jason the filter freak

I personally wouldn't try it. If your 150 is a like a 120 but taller, I know Grav has two clowns in his 150 that don't get along (just 2...not 2 pair). If your tank is long and you maybe divide it with rock pretty good....then maybe.

I have two pairs in a 7' long 220 that dont bother each other. I have a TON of rock and I dont think they can actually see each other as a result. If one swims by where the others are hosting.... then its on :fish:

I have 2 pairs in a 7'x34". 2 skunk, 2 false perc. Both mate regularly. The false percs chased the skunk into the overflow twice before thy allowed them in the tank (now on separate ends, not seeing each other)

I would think carefully.

If you have anemones for each pair, and the anemones are far from each other, I think you could pull it off. Once the clowns accept an anemone as their home, they really don't travel too far from it. In my experience anyways.

I used to have a black and naked in a 150 that didn't get along. Now in that tank I have a pair of blacks.

If these are the blue stripes that say "SOLD" at BRK, get ready to move those Ocellaris. These are good size fish. BTW, you are getting a killer deal on them!

I am going to pick up a pair of blue strips clownfish. I am debating if I should remove my ocellaris pair. Can 2 pairs live peacefully in a 150G tank?

If your target blue stripes are A. chrysopterus, skip the mixed species experiment. Took a few minutes for a female to nearly kill a pair of black ocellaris, an orange ocellaris, and pair of maroons in a 300gal. Chrysopterus experiment has been repeated with similar results by other local breeders.

Net net: Not good odds of success, but great odds of having your current little buddies being permanently disfigured or killed outright.

fwiw: I would have an established QT set up for bluestripes.....and be ready with the standard high power clownfish meds(copper, formalin, etc). May you not need them.

Yes I bought that pair of A. chrysopterus from BRK. Never had good luck with them before. Does not matter if I do copper, formalin or hyposalinity. Hopefully they will do well this time.

Yes I bought that pair of A. chrysopterus from BRK. Never had good luck with them before. Does not matter if I do copper, formalin or hyposalinity. Hopefully they will do well this time.

IMHO:

copper for amyloo

formalin baths for brook

hypo(1.009) for ick

lower salinity(1.015ish) for general stress reduction.

Hopefully, you don't have to do any of the above and I would work to ID specific issues before broadcasting a treatment. Take pictures the first few days with specific focus on the first stripe. Be on the look out for them to break down around day 9-12.

Good luck.

Hijacking...

Scott, what do you think of a pair of established non-breeding-as-of-today melanistic ocellaris clowns with another set of clowns in the tank? Over the years the pink skunk clowns have grown on me and I was thinking of adding a pair of them to the tank. I do not intend on adding another anemone unless I can find one that will firmly root to the bottom of the tank and not wander into my sps and the ocellaris have a large GBTA currently that they have been hosting in for several months to a half year. It's a 7' 300 gallon tank and the ocellaris are on one side of the tank, mid-water column, about 1'-2' from the edge. Most likely the other clowns would be in a line of vision with the established pair.

Hijacking...

Scott, what do you think of a pair of established non-breeding-as-of-today melanistic ocellaris clowns with another set of clowns in the tank? Over the years the pink skunk clowns have grown on me and I was thinking of adding a pair of them to the tank. I do not intend on adding another anemone unless I can find one that will firmly root to the bottom of the tank and not wander into my sps and the ocellaris have a large GBTA currently that they have been hosting in for several months to a half year. It's a 7' 300 gallon tank and the ocellaris are on one side of the tank, mid-water column, about 1'-2' from the edge. Most likely the other clowns would be in a line of vision with the established pair.

Hi Dave, If you establish the new anemone first to be sure it will survive and the ocellaris do not occupy both anemones you have a reasonable chance.

Skunks typically are home bodies and defend their turf from the anemone itself, sort of a sneak attack and dive back in the anemone. As long as they consider the anemone a suitable home, have a suitable breeding surface, get fed, etc., they don't wander far.... If the anemone becomes unhealthy, they well absolutely venture out and take one from competitors.

Ocellaris tend to wander less when they see competition, so meet their requirements for breeding (whether they do or not is moot) and again you have a chance.

Problem areas: Anemones move, anemones die, clowns die (females move in to try and take another females place), etc., etc.

The only real question is going to be how long d