Bare bones frag "tank"

DaveS

What do people suggest for a bare bones frag system? I'm trying really hard to resist putting one up but my addiction is too... addicting.

I know you can use a 20 gal tank or something but one of my constraints is that space if fairly limited. It would need to go into my closet where everything, including the house AC and water heater go. I'm looking to put up more shelving to compliment what I currently have in there which already holds my make up water and other stuff.

My initial thoughts are that something less tank like and more tray like could be a good option for frags. I look at Bendelat and his Rubbermaid tub which has nicer looking corals than many display tanks. Makes me wonder if some of those grey Rubbermaid tubs that you see busboys use in restaurants use to clear dishes would work. They are shallow, cheap and indestructible. Here's a picture of what I'm thinking.

gallery_1638_216_5022.jpg

Maybe that's too shallow but something like that would seem good since it allows more light penetration, doesn't add too much water to the system and doesn't take up much space. If you wanted you could set up multiple shelves and stack tubs on each providing a fairly easily way to have a lot of space for frags. Also, Rubbermaid is easier to drill than glass for bulkheads and cheaper to replace if you mess up.

What would be needed for lighting? T5 bulbs? Would MH provide any benefit?

Anything else? Ideas? Concerns?

If you use a plastic bin, make sure it's safe plastic that won't leach. I don't think I would use metal halide over plastic.

What do people suggest for a bare bones frag system? I'm trying really hard to resist putting one up but my addiction is too... addicting.

I know you can use a 20 gal tank or something but one of my constraints is that space if fairly limited. It would need to go into my closet where everything, including the house AC and water heater go. I'm looking to put up more shelving to compliment what I currently have in there which already holds my make up water and other stuff.

My initial thoughts are that something less tank like and more tray like could be a good option for frags. I look at Bendelat and his Rubbermaid tub which has nicer looking corals than many display tanks. Makes me wonder if some of those grey Rubbermaid tubs that you see busboys use in restaurants use to clear dishes would work. They are shallow, cheap and indestructible. Here's a picture of what I'm thinking.

gallery_1638_216_5022.jpg

Maybe that's too shallow but something like that would seem good since it allows more light penetration, doesn't add too much water to the system and doesn't take up much space. If you wanted you could set up multiple shelves and stack tubs on each providing a fairly easily way to have a lot of space for frags. Also, Rubbermaid is easier to drill than glass for bulkheads and cheaper to replace if you mess up.

What would be needed for lighting? T5 bulbs? Would MH provide any benefit?

Anything else? Ideas? Concerns?

It might work... certainly don't have to worry about light penetration. Sump? Overflow? Skimmer? .. .. going to plumb it into your main tank? Just how shallow IS it? I would want at least 6" of water - which probably means 7" of bus-bucket. What would you do for livestock? :)

bob

It might work... certainly don't have to worry about light penetration. Sump? Overflow? Skimmer? .. .. going to plumb it into your main tank? Just how shallow IS it? I would want at least 6" of water - which probably means 7" of bus-bucket. What would you do for livestock? :)

bob

Yes, the thought was to share plumbing with main tank.

The tub I mention is just an example and obviously it should be food grade. The real question to figure out is if there are any reasons why it should be a tank, should be deeper or anything else.

Are clear sides important- Bendalat kinda provides an argument for not.

How deep should it be- deep enough so the corals don't come out of the water but does it need to be any deeper for other reasons?

Anything else?

Dave, looks good to me. Seven inches might be too short. By the time you put your frag holders (egg crate most likely), get some circulation and take into account bulkheads for plumbing I think you'd be better off with around 12 inches. That being said, should be pretty straight forward. I'm sure there are other food grade tubs available that would fit the bill. If it was me I'd go with T5s in this setup. Like you said, you could stack a whole slew of these things and just run 2 t5 lamps over each of them. I think a blue+ and an aquablue or some other whitish bulb would give good coloration and decent par.

Good luck.

Garrett.

Edited by gastone

Another thing to keep in mind since its so shallow is what happens when power is interrupted. If the level fall just a few inches you may be in trouble. Something to think about.

Yes! This is a very very good point! I think this is the biggest "gotcha" I've seen to date on this idea.

I'll have to factor this in with how the overflow/drain is put together. Probably a standpipe type approach is what I'm thinking as I type right now.

It's fine to use a shallow tray. I use a 50 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank for my frags and it's fine (I also have frags in the main tank which I shield from stinging). Honestly, you'll get better flow in a smaller and shallower tray than you would in a larger tank, more race way style like a lot of the big boys do in their propagation systems. I don't see any problems with the food trays you are talking about using (I had one of them submerged in my system before to hold sand, also used cat litter boxes and still have one in one of my sumps). I also wouldn't worry about how shallow they are and losing power, simply plumb them with an elbow and you'll maintain your water level within an inch even in the event of a power loss (you could even build them on a floating rack using styrofoam and PVC pipes to maintain them at the same level all the time regardless of water level). The main difficulty you'll face is with lesser water volume you may run into more problems if there is a power loss.