Too much Caulerpa

rottloverr

Hello all,

My refug is not taking as much nutrients out of the water due to excess caulerpa. I've read that if you take to much out it will go a sexual and cause some nightmares in my display tank.

So... how much do I take out?

Cheers, :cheers:

Sean

Sean, I usually take out 1/2 to 3/4 at a go.

I've never had caulerpa go "sexual". Have used a 24 cycle and a currently use a lighting cycle opposite the halides on my display ~16 hours per day.

Garrett.

Pull it all. It'll come back as it's fairly invasive. I have had it go sexual, by the way, and it makes quite a mess. I didn't have enough in my system for it to have a big impact (livestock) but it certainly was a mess. I had probably a 5 gallon bucket full of it that went, but it was in a 400 gallon system that had seahorses in it.

(edited)

My display tank lights and my refug are on seperate cycles. It has grown very fast since the fist size batch I first put in.

What exactly happens when it goes "A-sexual"?

Sean

Edited by rottloverr

it happened to me once and it was quite a mess, but I think it had to do with sudden changes in lighting.

No advice but an interesting (yet short) article from Reefkeeping Magazine (online) on changes observed in caulerpa prior to going sexual: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/nftt/index.php

The article does recommend completely removing the alga when and if these changes are observed. Obviously, not having any in your system avoids any of this.

Great article Tom!

:cheers:

(edited)

When you guys say pull it all. Does that mean get a different kind of macro like Cheato? Or leave a little caulerpa left for it to grow back to where I am now then repeat the cycle?

The type of caulerpa I have has the little green ball like pods on it btw.

Sean

Edited by rottloverr

Truthfully Sean I hate caulerpa. If it finds a way into your display tank it and infests your rock it will always be there. A bane IMO. With chaetomorpha this just doens't happen as it doesn't "root". So if it isn't too late, replace it. Otherwise, learn to live with it.

G.

BTW, sounds like caulerpa racemosa or grape caulerpa.

Edited by gastone

I had a a leafy caulerpa in my display that came with some gulf aquacultured rock. It grew pretty fast and I'd hoped that my yellow tang could keep it in check. No chance. It spread, fairly quickly showing up everywhere. I wound up going in and agressively dislodging the runners and removing the stuff from the rock using a bamboo skewer and my hands. I had to do this several times over a few weeks, actually. In the end, it must have reached a critical level because the tang finished off the last of it. Now, there's no more caulerpa, but I'm having to feed the tang directly with other foods. To tell you the truth, it was kind of nice when he could just graze all day in a natural sort of way. At the same time, however, the caulerpa's not spreading and covering all my rock either.

I'm still toying with the idea of putting some in my sump's refugium section so I can feed a ball of it to the tang from time to time, but the thought of having it go sexual and spreading in a big way to my display makes me think twice.

Edited by Origami2547

Actually I removed some caulerpa from one of my Tunzes last night but have not seen any on my rock in the display tank. It has done a great job of removing nutrients from the water as far as I can tell. I have never had any hair algae in my display tank since setting (5 months or so) it up.

A yellow tang is one of the fish we planned on getting but I was trying to add it last.

So I guess I'll remove 3/4 of it and see what happens. Sound ok?

Sean

Honestly, i'm not sure. Possibly T-5's? I have 2. One is blue and other is white. I will have to ask the gentlemen who set everything up for me.

Sean

Guest webshout

I had a a leafy caulerpa in my display ...

I'm still toying with the idea of putting some in my sump's refugium section so I can feed a ball of it to the tang from time to time, but the thought of having it go sexual and spreading in a big way to my display makes me think twice.

In the For Sale Forum, someone was getting rid of Red Gracilaria. My tang loves this stuff. I have a couple of bunches wedged into rock in the main tank. Safer than the caulpera, from what I understand.

Good luck.

William