Nitro's 14g Nano Reef

I am currently building a 14 gallon nano reef. I stole the basic plan for the stand from Lanman (did that all just rhyme?) And wow is this thing built like a brick sh... well, you know. And could hold a much larger tank, it was basically built to hold the sump and large enough to upgrade in the future if I want.

It will have a 25 gallon or so sump under it with a high flow return with a sunpod coming in the next few months. I plan on it being the home to a pair of B/W Clowns and rose anem. but we'll see

I also have an order in to Marco rocks for rock to aquascape with.

(Thanks again to James for drilling the tank for me !)

So far........

dsc03567ru8.jpg

By nitrojunkie, shot with DSC-W7 at 2008-01-08

dsc03569cx9.jpg

dsc03573kl5.jpg

dsc03580oy4.jpg

dsc03581gn0.jpg

UPDATE : JANUARY 13, 2008

I finished the stand last night . I mounted the doors/hardware and got it painted and moved inside and painted the back of the tank. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I will probably start the plumbing tonight. And hope to get sand/water/rock in it by next weekend and get the cycle going.

I put a door on the front and on the right side so i could slide the sump in and out easily for cleaning and also access the power strips , etc.

dsc03590if7.jpg

By nitrojunkie, shot with DSC-W7 at 2008-01-13

dsc03591ny6.jpg

dsc03594qo7.jpg

dsc03612jg1.jpg

UPDATE : MARCH 22, 2008

Well its been a while. But long story short. I broke the 14g when plumbing it :blush: . Lesson learned. Leave the bulkheads loose while plumping. Since I had to buy a new tank I said what the heck and got a tank that fit the stand and James was kind enough to drill my tank again. So I plumbed it up got it wet and have been curing some Marco rocks for it.

I just started the aquascaping today. I built a pillar for the focal point and will built a cave or something with more hiding places to the left of the pillar. The pillar was sooooo easy to make. If anyone is considering it I highly recomend it. All I did was built a support from 1/2 pvc and drilled a hole through each rock with a masonary bit. The bit drills through this rock like butter. There are a few spots you can see the pvc and I plan on using aquamend and a small piece of rock to cover it.

I still need to get a light and some loc line for the return and probably a powerhead or two , I'm thinking about the nano korrilia's. Hope you like it so far.......

(the top left corner is just a reflection of my 75 on the other side of the room)

dsc03833zx7.jpg

By nitrojunkie, shot with DSC-W7 at 2008-03-22

Edited by Nitro Junkie

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Consider using an eductor on the return you might save yourself adding multiple power heads, I have the koralia nano's and i love them!