FYI for Reef Crystals users...

zotzer

My calcium just tested at 340 for brand new SW mixed at 1.025. Sheesh....I have a giant bucket of this stuff!!

CA in my tank is 390 (morning test, before dosing two part)

alk 2.75

pH is the only good news... 8.0 after 11 hours of lights out.

Guess I need to figure out whether it's worth the trouble to send a sample off to be tested and get a new bucket, or just go buy one. First, I guess I'll have Marine Scene or someone double check my result.

In the mean time, guess I'll be bumping up my two-part dosing. :(

Tracy

finally.....someone figured it out....was using ReefCrystals but switched recently because Mag was low....1050ppm and forced me to have to supplement.

switched from SeaChem Reef to Reef Crystals due to low calcium levels and now switched to plain IO due to low mag. Switching salt takes time, please take things very slowly if you are thinking about switching. I have had no ill effects going from reef crystals to IO but the risk is up to the individual.

finally.....someone figured it out....was using ReefCrystals but switched recently because Mag was low....1050ppm and forced me to have to supplement.

Definite quality control issue. If you still have any RC and want a proper bucket, send them some of your salt to test. Might need to call them to find out how much. I still haven't figured out if I am going to do it or not yet. I have some mag supplement...may just go get some dowflake and call it a day.

Tracy

Definite quality control issue. If you still have any RC and want a proper bucket, send them some of your salt to test. Might need to call them to find out how much. I still haven't figured out if I am going to do it or not yet. I have some mag supplement...may just go get some dowflake and call it a day.

Tracy

dowflake on the shelves is no longer suitable for calcium maintenance. if you want to use it to bring levels up during a water change that is fine but daily dosing is no good

The first reaction when DOW made their notice was for folks to declare the product no longer suitable for use in a reef tank. The story now is that no one knows what effect a build up of Bromide (Bromine?) would have on a reef tank so the recommendation is to err on the side of caution and either locate some of the older DOW or switch to another solution. BTW, this affects many other brands that simply repackage DOW under different names.

The first reaction when DOW made their notice was for folks to declare the product no longer suitable for use in a reef tank. The story now is that no one knows what effect a build up of Bromide (Bromine?) would have on a reef tank so the recommendation is to err on the side of caution and either locate some of the older DOW or switch to another solution. BTW, this affects many other brands that simply repackage DOW under different names.

Randy Holmes-Farley is saying the bromide (which you are correct bob, is the ionic form of bromine) is safe for boosting calcium initially for water changes. No one is sure about using it to dose, but Randy doesn't think it's a problem:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1275153

Just becareful if you do because the bromide is that chaulky powdery residue often seen on the side of your mixing vessel.

Unless it's really low or you are changing (too much) alot of water, it will not make that big of a deal to exchange some water with a lower Ca level water during a WC.

i did a water change tonite and my calcium is 420 exactly so maybe it isnt uniform. it was the same salinity and same batch of salt.