purple BTA

toastiireefs

We have all heard of RBTA and GBTA but does anyone wround here have a PURPLE BTA??

Someone was gonna trade me one (and other stuff) for my RO unit but he hasnt gotten back to me about the pictures yet,

and i was just curious if anyone around here had ever had one?

and has pictures?

i bet its a long tentacle anenome

Agreed. Its probably one of these:

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDeta...1075&cid=74

I got one from BZA a couple months ago and unfortunately it died on me. I'm finally getting another one though. Woo Hoo!!!! I hope the color on the new one coming is as good as the first one. It looked exactly like the one in the picture at BZA.

The good thing about these anenomes is that they stay planted wherever you put them. My other purple LTA has been firmly placed in its current spot since I put it there 6 months ago. From my experience they don't roam around like BTAs.

Agreed. Its probably one of these:

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDeta...1075&cid=74

I got one from BZA a couple months ago and unfortunately it died on me. I'm finally getting another one though. Woo Hoo!!!! I hope the color on the new one coming is as good as the first one. It looked exactly like the one in the picture at BZA.

The good thing about these anenomes is that they stay planted wherever you put them. My other purple LTA has been firmly placed in its current spot since I put it there 6 months ago. From my experience they don't roam around like BTAs.

Mature size - 20" ??? That's a lot of corals within reach!

bob

bob

Not when its rooted in the sandbed with its foot attached to the bottom of your tank. The one I have now only takes up about a 10" diameter area on my sandbed.

bob

Medusa has a solid 12" wingspan during peak daylight hours. She can probably get to 14"-16" when she's really pumped up. I did just have to move a ricordia today, as it was within target range.

But, since it sits at the bottom of the tank in the sandbed, it's not that bothersome. Can't reach much. It's doing a nice job of keeping an island of GSP in check though!!

Tracy

Mine is in a 46g...I don't see any problem.

The full lights just came on 15 minutes ago. When she is at her full glory in a few hours, I'll snap a pic so you can see her size.

She's not a true purple LTA...more like a purplish brown. I'd love to switch her out for a deep purple one, but the clowns and I have grown attached to her, and she seems very content. Don't want to jinx it! LOL

Tracy

well if its that! im just as happy!?

right?

or should i not attempt it with my 40gl HOT5 tank?

As long as you have enough room for one on the sandbed, I don't see a problem. Your T5s should be enough lighting. The only thing I would worry about is water quality.

James - That green LTA I got from BRK has gone walkabout. I thought it had settled down but now I can't get it to sit still. I guess it wasn't happy where I put it!! :why:

Out of curiosity, can you get stung if you handle the anemone without gloves?

James

The worst part is the tentacles sticking to your hand. I've never been stung though.

When it sticks to your hand, you're getting stung. Anemones, just like all of their relatives, use nematocysts that fire off when they are activated. These nematocysts are what cause the anemone to stick to your hand. Each nematocyst is like a little harpoon and it shoots it out, injects a tiny bit of its toxin, and then retracts a bit to hold whatever it is tight to the flesh. When your hand is sticking to it, it's full of nematocysts. The "sting" would be if you had a reaction to the nematocysts and their toxin. That's why it's so hard to get the stink off of your hands if you handle an anemone, the nematocysts are in your skin, embedded. You can easily remove the stink, though, by washing in a light acid like vinegar. This will dissolve the nematocysts from your hand. It's the same as a jellyfish or a coral that stings you, they all have nematocysts. If it sticks to you, you've been stung. By the way, just pull away if it stings you. The nematocysts will heal or regenerate themselves. That's why an unhealthy anemone is not sticky, the nematocysts have lost the ability to fire off due to the poor condition of the anemone. This results in it not being able to prey on food and supplement its diet.

Out of curiosity, can you get stung if you handle the anemone without gloves?

James

Usually you won't feel the nematocysts as Dave describes. Sometimes you may get a minor rash if they hit sensitive skin, like inner forearms. Some people are allergic and will react badly. Gloves are a good idea until you know how you will react. Some anemones are worse than others, like the S. tapetum (mini carpet) which are very 'sticky'. There are a few Caribbean anemones that will light you up no matter what, just like a man-o-war jellyfish.

Justin

I have messed with many types of anemones (BTAs, LTAs, carpets, etc.) and the only kind that had a sting I could actually feel was a fire anemone. It got the back of my hand and left it red for a couple of days (so far, this actually only happend two days ago). It hurt but it wasn't excruciating.