How effective is cheato?

albatross666

Hi

I have a small CPR aquafuge (HOB) and have some cheato in there, probably 1-1.5 quarts. Is this sufficient to absorb a good quantity of nitrates from a light load on a 55 gallon tank?

So theoretically, if i have a lot of cheato, I have to do minimal water changes? Would a 5 gallon tank full of cheato accomplish this?

My 10 gallon sump has nothing in it except a heater, skimmer and return pump, so I am thinking of adding a light and getting a gallon or so of cheato.

Thanks

I have found cheato to be a great addition to a tank, or sump/refugium. I have a 55g that with a lot of fish in it, sps that grow like weeds and other corals. The sump is also 55g and I have a HOB refugium as well. The 55g is about 3//4 full of cheato and sea grass as well the refugium. I also use an oversized skimmer. Basically though, the macro algea absorbs nutrients and grows pods which in turn feed the fish, to some degree.

The more cheato and macro algea the better.

The cheato will definitely help keep the nitrates low, but you still need to do water changes. There are trace elements that get used up by livestock, and the easiest way to replace them is to do regular water changes. Like many, I'm guilty of putting off water changes. But when I finally break down and do it, I definitely notice a positive change in my corals, especially my sps and anemones.

The cheato will definitely help keep the nitrates low, but you still need to do water changes. There are trace elements that get used up by livestock, and the easiest way to replace them is to do regular water changes. Like many, I'm guilty of putting off water changes. But when I finally break down and do it, I definitely notice a positive change in my corals, especially my sps and anemones.

How much cheato is recommended for a 55 gallon tank? My HOB refuge is pretty small.

Thanks

Chaeto will use excess nutrients to grow, so you need to have room for chaeto to grow in a healthy fashion. Never heard that it will eliminate the need for water changes. That doesn't make much sense....chaeto takes up excess nutrients, but water changes add in trace elements.

Have fun!! And don't forget to trim your chaeto every few weeks. :)

Tracy

chaeto doesn't grow as fast for me as caulerpa. Is it that caulerpa grows faster in general or does it have to do with something else? Also, since caulerpa grows faster for me, does that mean it works better?

Edited by treesprite

Chaeto will use excess nutrients to grow, so you need to have room for chaeto to grow in a healthy fashion. Never heard that it will eliminate the need for water changes. That doesn't make much sense....chaeto takes up excess nutrients, but water changes add in trace elements.

Have fun!! And don't forget to trim your chaeto every few weeks. :)

Tracy

How should I trim the chaeto? Should I pull apart the spagetti-like strands or cut it with sissors? Also, I have bugs in the chaeto (pods, worms etc) should I pick them out and put back or toss them?

Another question. My chaeto collects "dust" of stuff and every time i touch it, i get a cloud! Should I rinse this every now and then?

Thanks

chaeto doesn't grow as fast for me as caulerpa. Is it that caulerpa grows faster in general or does it have to do with something else? Also, since caulerpa grows faster for me, does that mean it works better?

caulerpa does seem to grow faster than chaeto. if you are aware of its proclivity to go sexual and are willing to replace it then it grows faster which will remove the nutrients faster.

How should I trim the chaeto? Should I pull apart the spagetti-like strands or cut it with sissors? Also, I have bugs in the chaeto (pods, worms etc) should I pick them out and put back or toss them?

Another question. My chaeto collects "dust" of stuff and every time i touch it, i get a cloud! Should I rinse this every now and then?

Thanks

you can just pull it apart. making sure it is trimmed encourages better growth as well. keep the bugs. either drop them back in your fuge or put them in your tank. the dust you are referring to is likely detritus and should be removed or it will decay and create more of the nutrients you seek to remove. clean the algae when you prune it or more frequently. additional flow will help to keep it in suspension

I think caulerpa does that if the conditions it's in aren't so great. Mostly I make sure I have my fuge lights on a regular schedule because my understanding is that lighting problems can trigger them

I cut mine with a scissors. I rinse the cuttings in tank water and dump the water back into the fuge. Any bugs that don't make it through that process go in the garbage. I figure they will repopulate.

Then again, I am a newb. YMMV

Tracy

I cut mine with a scissors. I rinse the cuttings in tank water and dump the water back into the fuge. Any bugs that don't make it through that process go in the garbage. I figure they will repopulate.

Then again, I am a newb. YMMV

Tracy

I do the same, if my 'trimmings' are clean. If they have that 'red stuff' on them, or a lot of 'dust' (not sure, but I'd guess that is bits of rock and sand), then I don't put the rinse water back in the tank. But I still try to siphon up the biggest pods in my turkey baster and put them back in the refugium. A refugium for my 240 is one of my next 'top projects'. With no hermits this time - nothing that might eat pods.

bob