I can't keep up

discretekarma

I've been using two part for a few months now on my 180. I have a lot of SPS as well as other corals. Most are still small but a few of the SPS colonys are big. At first I was working on getting my calcium and alkility levels up to 400 and 10. I have to add 300 ml of calcium and 300 ml of alk to keep my levels up and I just checked today and that isn't even keeping my levels up. I've been making a new gallon batch of each every two weeks. It's just too much now.

What else can I do? Is there a stronger two part I can use?

Are you use a dosing pump? (If not you need to start).

2nd you need to either: A) starting doing homemade and just prepared to do a lot or

B) Get a calcium reactor or

C) Get a kalk reactor

Dave

What order would be best?

I thought it would be best to start with Two Part until it became too much and then move on to kalk stirrer untill the system was too much for that and then move on to a calc reactor. Is that the right order?

If so, is it correct that I need to move on to a kalk stirrer?

Thanks

Are you use a dosing pump? (If not you need to start).

2nd you need to either: A) starting doing homemade and just prepared to do a lot or

B) Get a calcium reactor or

C) Get a kalk reactor

Dave

Move on with a kalk reactor and start saving for a calcium reactor as those SPS get bigger. :)

Edited by djcerna

My SPS are growing like crazy right now. It's crazy. Everything is growing nicely compaired to a few months ago when I wasn't using two part.

Are you saying to skip a Kalk Stirrer and go straight to a Calcium Reactor?

Move on with a kalk reactor and start saving for a calcium reactor as those SPS get bigger. :)

My SPS are growing like crazy right now. It's crazy. Everything is growing nicely compaired to a few months ago when I wasn't using two part.

Are you saying to skip a Kalk Stirrer and go straight to a Calcium Reactor?

No... I would go with the Kalk stirrer first. See how your pH and calcium and alk are with it. My fairly heavy-stocked 58 is just fine with kalk stirrer only. I have a Calcium Reactor purchased for my big tank - but won't be hooking it up until I really need it.

I got the kalk stirrer for the 58 under the same circumstances - the two-part was getting to be too much.

bob

Edited by lanman

Scott-

I was only using a kalk reactor on the 92g corner, but I was almost to the point of needing a calcium reactor. I would get a kalk reactor and see how the measurements go. If you calcium is still low, then you might want to look at a calcium reactor. You will be surprised at how much just a kalk reactor will help.

Steve

I agree with everything said up to this point. Basically, get a Kalk reactor then save start saving for a calcium reactor. I'm finally going to be setting up my calcium reactor once I have my ACIII to control it. My Kalk reactor just isn't cutting it anymore.

I might suggest that you do not continue adding the two part should you start using a kalk reactor.

I agree, at least at first. Keep testing and see how your levels are with just kalk. If you need more, you can then start to supplement with 2-part as needed. In the long run, the kalk reactor - ca reactor combo really does a great job and is as "set and forget" as you can get IMO.

I agree, at least at first. Keep testing and see how your levels are with just kalk. If you need more, you can then start to supplement with 2-part as needed. In the long run, the kalk reactor - ca reactor combo really does a great job and is as "set and forget" as you can get IMO.

If you have sand, it's highly likely to bind together if you do use kalk and two part.