What is this on my SPS?

discretekarma

I got this coral last week online and it was supposed to be a Superman Monti. It hasn't yet looked anything like a Superman to me which is another story but tonight I noticed it has what looks like some kind of foam balls on it. That's the best I can describe it. It almost looks like cotton or filter floss too. Does anyone know what this is or what I should do about it? Even though these pictures aren't good, it's the best I can do.

IMG_3256.jpg

IMG_3255.jpg

Edited by discretekarma

is it only come out overnight? where u get that piece from?

one of my montipora get that overnight and i caught a sea spider in it. good thing it the only one. the spider was walking around and caused my thing to slime up. that my theory for my case

Edited by bk_market

No clue what the white stuff is - better pictures would help.

As far as it not looking like a superman; that can take weeks, even months, depending on your light, flow, etc.

I got a 'poker star' monti at the fall meeting from Dr. Mac. It was completely white when I got it home. A couple weeks ago the polyps started turning green, and now the base is starting to get some color. My rainbow from Fiji has been every color in the 'rainbow' - and now is settling on something very close to a superman. 10 months for the color to settle down.

On the other hand, I got a superman monti frag from a WAMAS member a couple of weeks ago; it was red/blue when I got it, and it's still red/blue - Yay!!

bob

Thanks. That wamas member was me bob. That was a different Superman I bought online. My point and shoot won't get a better picture. I'm not sure if it only happens at night because this evening (with the lights on) was the first time i've seen it.

No clue what the white stuff is - better pictures would help.

As far as it not looking like a superman; that can take weeks, even months, depending on your light, flow, etc.

I got a 'poker star' monti at the fall meeting from Dr. Mac. It was completely white when I got it home. A couple weeks ago the polyps started turning green, and now the base is starting to get some color. My rainbow from Fiji has been every color in the 'rainbow' - and now is settling on something very close to a superman. 10 months for the color to settle down.

On the other hand, I got a superman monti frag from a WAMAS member a couple of weeks ago; it was red/blue when I got it, and it's still red/blue - Yay!!

bob

dis.... move the camera furthur away (it's too close to focus properly)...

It's going to be impossible for anyone to make more than a guess based on what you have posted here.

Dave

When I backed away, it is too smal to see anything even when it's fully zoomed in. I guess my camera isn't that good. I'll have to go with everyones best guess since that's the best I can do and it's gone this morning. If it comes back I'll borrow my dad's Rebel XTI which should do a little better then what I have. Thanks so far to everyone who's tagged along.

Scott

I took Dhoch photography suggestions and posted the pictures. The white things are gone but I wanted to see if these pictures are better so I'll know how to take the pics when the stuff comes back. Thanks for the suggestions.

IMG_3261.jpg

IMG_3259.jpg

dis.... move the camera furthur away (it's too close to focus properly)...

It's going to be impossible for anyone to make more than a guess based on what you have posted here.

Dave

Edited by discretekarma

Is that an aquacultured monit? If so I have seen them with some sort of commensal flatworm that is completely brown in color and always local to the monti's. I have seen these buggers cause browning and spot necrosion. I always shake tthe monti's in FW with iodine for about ten seconds and if the worms are on there than they'll fall off.

sean

i have one montipora from mrcoral also and that one have sea spider in it. Maybe his batch is infested with them. This is what i did for mine.

At night I turn all the light in my aquarium on. Use my hand to bring the coral close to the glass but submerge under water as it easier to see. I also bring it near to water surface for best light penetration. I turn it upside down inside out and look from all direction. I found the sea spiders on mine but got rid of them all. Usually the spot that the spider is doing his thing have slime up so look at those spots first but they can move around quite fast. After locate and remember where they are I put the piece in a bowl and use a toothpick to pull them out. Outside the tank under normal light it is next to impossible to spot anything on the montipora unless i remember what spot it at. After that i put it back in the tank and everyday at night for about 2 weeks I repeat the same routine.

Edited by bk_market