paint that isn't spray paint

treesprite

Is there some kind of paint I can use to paint the back of a tank that is not spray paint? I live in an apartment, so spray is out. I used some kind of rubbery marine paint/tool handle dip on the old tank, but it's too expensive.

When I painted the back of my tank, I used a thin foam roller. This is meant for ultra smooth surfaces.

If you have an integrated overflow box in you tank, don't paint that section of the back glass. This way you can still see into this section for whatever reason.

Foam roller won't help if I don't have a paint I can use that doesn't have to be sprayed on.

Foam roller won't help if I don't have a paint I can use that doesn't have to be sprayed on.

You use the foam roller with latex paint out of a can, not spray paint.

T

Why not use a self-stick backgound? They only cost a little more than normal backgrounds, are easy to apply, stay in place but can be easy removed later if desired.

You use the foam roller with latex paint out of a can, not spray paint.

T

Is this something you have used before? The kind of paint I used last time is marine paint that is also used to rubberize the handles of tools; it comes in small cans and is kind of expensive.

I don't really want to use a stick-on thing, I would rather paint.

Is this something you have used before? The kind of paint I used last time is marine paint that is also used to rubberize the handles of tools; it comes in small cans and is kind of expensive.

I don't really want to use a stick-on thing, I would rather paint.

No, I haven't done it myself, but was considering it. It's what most people seem to do...latex paint with a foam roller.

I used aquarium backing and double stick tape. This way, in a pinch, I can take it off and see what's going on behind there. That was the idea, anyway.

tracy

Anyone have luck painting the inside of the tank? I need to paint the inside of my external overflows. So it's really the outside of the back glass.....inside the overflow.....I was thinking of smearing a thin layer of black caulk.

Oh yeah, anyone with really long arms that can climb on the top of the tank wanna help? :biggrin:

Why are you painting the inside of the overflows? Why not the outside? What are you up to dan? I suppose you can try Krylon Fusion, it has held up well inside my tank.

Why are you painting the inside of the overflows? Why not the outside? What are you up to dan? I suppose you can try Krylon Fusion, it has held up well inside my tank.

I am only painting the back of the tank, on the outside of the tank. Krylon Fusion is a spray paint - if you know of somewhere I can get it in another form, please let me know.

I am only painting the back of the tank, on the outside of the tank. Krylon Fusion is a spray paint - if you know of somewhere I can get it in another form, please let me know.

Honestly I painted the back of my latest tank with $.99 spray paint (enmal) from HD and it worked just fine. I don't imagine there is a paint aside from water colors that wouldn't bind acceptably to glass for your purpose.

Forrest,

If you still want some Baby Tomato Clownfish I still have plenty. I think I have some leftover blue paint that I used on some of my tanks that I could give you. Or just get any latex paint and paint away, many thin coats is better than thick coats.

Wreck

Forrest,

If you still want some Baby Tomato Clownfish I still have plenty. I think I have some leftover blue paint that I used on some of my tanks that I could give you. Or just get any latex paint and paint away, many thin coats is better than thick coats.

Wreck

I'm still trying to get a chance to pick the fish up. There's too much going on at once, my work is a week behind and it's just piling up now, things keep coming up, I've got tons of personal biz to take care of and all kinds of other stuff. I'm generally quite overwhelmed. Are you by any chance going to be at the meeting that you could bring a couple?

I think I want to stick with black paint, but thank you for the blue paint offer. I think the black goes better with the coraline. I hope the coraline grows in fast after I get this 65g set up!

Was hoping to get a specific paint name. I guess I'll go hunting around the hardware store and hope I get something that isn't going to just make a mess.

Foam roller with any latex paint will do. No brand specific. I went with a very dark blue. Two coats. Simple and easy to clean up. Make sure to get a foam roller meant for smooth surfaces.

Dan,

How about dropping in a piece of dark smoked plexi instead of painting?

It is like that already, except with black plexi. Film algae grows between the glass and plexi though.

Got it painted. I was waiting for a coat to dry, went to do the next one and found paw prints through it, including black pawprints on the carpet!

Is there some kind of paint I can use to paint the back of a tank that is not spray paint? I live in an apartment, so spray is out. I used some kind of rubbery marine paint/tool handle dip on the old tank, but it's too expensive.

I found a piece of dark blue poster board (foamboard) at Giant... I stuck it on with velcro.

bob

I found a piece of dark blue poster board (foamboard) at Giant... I stuck it on with velcro.

bob

lol, tell me you really did that!

How does it look?

Looks great!

It's actually two pieces, and I can remove them if I want to check the back out for any reason.

Close-up showing velcro attachment:

IMG_0991.jpg

End shot:

IMG_0992.jpg

From the front of the tank:

IMG_0993.jpg

bob