MANIFOLDS

flowerseller

I'm replacing my return pump and manifold and would like to see how yours is set up.

What I'd like to see and know:

Pictures of your manifold

What you feed from it.

What size diameter it is and the feeds off it.

What return pump you use.

Thanks for sharing

40+ views and no manifolds out there?

Geofloors on CMAS has a neat second floor return gravity pressure fed manifold but I need "same floor" out put technology.

I prefer a pressure fed, high volume, DD skimmer and also feed my frag tank, Ca reactor and Anemone farm from the same pump.

My current configuration works well but was looking to see newer thinking since I haven't followed it for about 10 years when I made my current set up.

Whats a manifold? :lol:

sorry no pictures chip, I don't have that type of cool set up for my nano... if I did I would share with you all day and night, thats just the kind of guy I am :wink:

I'm waiting as well to see some mainfolds...

You know,

I thought of posting a picture of the manifold on one of my '29 Model A's.

Those are both an intake and exhaust as one. The carb fits right to the intake portion.

Chip, no manifold for me. I'm too low tech for all that fancy stuff. For me it's undergravel and air pumps all the way...

Ummm....

Oh yeah, are you going to the frag meeting?

Garrett.

Chip, no manifold for me. I'm too low tech for all that fancy stuff. For me it's undergravel and air pumps all the way...

Ummm....

Oh yeah, are you going to the frag meeting?

Garrett.

Hey Gas,

I'm hoping to get away from work to do the anemone frag class during the work shop portion.

I usually have a TT right after the Kilmer meetings but some of our employees are taking ud to dinner that night so no TT this time.

Well, I just posted all our pictures, but here are a couple. LMK if you want more.

Lower manifold under our sand, fed curently by a Sequence Dart:

gallery_2631270_258_63619.jpg

gallery_2631270_258_14088.jpg

Upper manifold: before and after shots 'cause it's hard to see. Black verticles with two outlets each in the back corner. Also from our Sequence Dart.

Before:

gallery_2631270_258_18836.jpg

After:

gallery_2631270_258_91939.jpg

And this is the "engine room" behind that black wall. The Dart is mounted on that board, as you can see better in the second picture. With these valves on our two manifolds and our siphon return, we have almost total control. The only thing we don't have is variable flow, but so far that's not a problem.

gallery_2631270_258_573359.jpg

gallery_2631270_258_580947.jpg

HTH!

Never seen a dart mounted like that to suck water, clever.

Observations from the fine photos:

You might want to rethink the metal house clamps and the fernco coupling if you have not already.

It's likely to get yuky and slime away and the clamps will likely rust. SS or not.

Also suggest you get heavy screen material for the pump input unless your after the restriction provided by the current screen as pictured,

Tank looks great!

I'm after a different type of manifold, but thanks for posting, and will post pics later after my kids get homw to take them. :blush:

One more thing.

Often times (most always) when you have high flow thru your sump, you shoiuld space the baffels further apart because if they are too close, they cause the water to spped up and can actually draw air in creating more bubbles. This from hours of experimenting after frustration.

I've flooded my old garage so many times experimenting with skimmers, dump bucket, building big tanks, MAKING MANIFOLDS, and what ever. I actually put a hole in the ceiling from a jet of water from a high volume pump! The best part of that was seening NAGA drenched, but laughing.

I have been looking for the same thing. I plan on building a manifold as soon as I have the time. I just bought a barracuda pump which will be replacing my Iwaki100. It will be running my skimmer, phos reactor as well as my 210, 90 and 40 breeder.

I saw a Manifold that Dan built and thought it looked pretty good. I think their is a picture of it somewhere. I was kinda going on that one but have not bought any parts yet.

As I get the parts I will start a thread on it or we can just use this thread. I am always looking for input.

Never seen a dart mounted like that to suck water, clever.

Observations from the fine photos:

You might want to rethink the metal house clamps and the fernco coupling if you have not already.

It's likely to get yuky and slime away and the clamps will likely rust. SS or not.

Also suggest you get heavy screen material for the pump input unless your after the restriction provided by the current screen as pictured.

Chip,

Thanks for these suggestions.

We do plan to replace the metal that's in the water. It was a desperate need that drove us to those; we could NOT figure out why our dart wouldn't prime, finally read the directions (after our tank had been without motion and our BTA waiting in acclimation bag for 8 hours!) and realized the need for a check valve.

What can we replace those with?

Also, the angle irons and shelf supports will/may rust over time, but that's easily fixed; and we bolted the Dart to the board; again, they'll be easy to replace, we think. But, any other suggestions?

We have PVC grates over the three intake outlets, and that seems to let in the micro critters and since we have filter media on the surface of that intake compartment, we've not noticed a lot of crud going into the pump. What are you thinking when you say "heavy screen material"? What kind?

As for bubble trap... yeah. We don't feel able to redo now, but think we might do a mod to the skimmer output... or simply shorten the skimmer return to deal with bubbles.

We do plan to replace the metal that's in the water. It was a desperate need that drove us to those; we could NOT figure out why our dart wouldn't prime, finally read the directions (after our tank had been without motion and our BTA waiting in acclimation bag for 8 hours!) and realized the need for a check valve.

What can we replace those with?

I have an external sequence pump I'm using. I just used an "up an over" strategy. Pump sits on floor (or could be on a platform outside the tank), PVC makes a big U into the tank. No check valve and pump stays primed even after power outage. Took about 5 minutes to hook up. Looks like yours could easily be modified in this way. I can post a pic tomorrow if you'd like.

It occured to me on an errand today that that type of pvc grate might actually be part of your micro bubble issue. It could cause the pump to cavitate creating the bubbles itself.

Have you tried it without the grate? Watch out for additional flow if you haven't and you try it.

So I ran the brand new Sequence barracuda on my system for all of about 10 minutes and it failed miserably.

It does not perform anywhere near my Iwaki100 so off it comes and the 100 will be back on and running in 15 minutes.

Why did your pump fail? was it the pump itself or was it something else?

The 100 is a pressure pump, the cuda is not.

The 100 pumps half what the cuda does, but under pressure.

I knew all this going into it and I'm sure two people in particular will be surprised to hear these results.

The cuda is a great pump and I would reccomemnd to anyone, and I'm going to be when I sell it for the $200 I paid new in the box.

A pressure pump with ass behindi t is a totally different animal and I must admit I was slightly shocked by todays events, but not totally surprised.

I was however dissapointed non the less.

Just more info to experience for down the road.

My iwaki is back on and doing it's job like it should have never doubted.

The 100 is a pressure pump, the cuda is not.

The 100 pumps half what the cuda does, but under pressure.

I knew all this going into it and I'm sure two people in particular will be surprised to hear these results.

The cuda is a great pump and I would reccomemnd to anyone, and I'm going to be when I sell it for the $200 I paid new in the box.

A pressure pump with ass behindi t is a totally different animal and I must admit I was slightly shocked by todays events, but not totally surprised.

I was however dissapointed non the less.

Just more info to experience for down the road.

My iwaki is back on and doing it's job like it should have never doubted.

You could always try a pressure rated sequence pump (thats what I'm using). A bit more money tho!

tim

You could always try a pressure rated sequence pump (thats what I'm using). A bit more money tho!

tim

Money is not the issue, what I'm looking to acheive is.

Do you have the hamerhead 5800?

BTW, I used a Squence barracuda pump earlier today knowing it was not pressure rated. I was persuaded it would work due to the flow rate.

I'll never get those couple hours back. :biggrin: But the fun will always be there.

chip,

I am currently using my Iwaki100 and plan on switching to the hamerhead. From your experience with the baracuda how do you think the hammerhead will compare? I will be adding some equipment on the hammerhead that is not currently on my Iwaki. I will be adding the feed to my skimmer mag5 currently and the feed to my reactor mag3 currently.

Here is my manifold. DSCN0016.JPG

You could create something like this but just skip the 3" pipe and just use all 1.5" instead. I use a hammerhead and it moves a ton of water with 12' of head pressure.

George

Edited by geofloors

I have a hammerhead you can try, ran for a few days, too much, went to the cuda. Hammerhead is in the box ready to roll.

Of course my system was engineered properly, so a pressure pump was unnecessary :D

I stated in my first pump I had a baracuda. I actually have a hammerhead I was mistaken.

Here is my manifold. DSCN0016.JPG

You could create something like this but just skip the 3" pipe and just use all 1.5" instead. I use a hammerhead and it moves a ton of water with 12' of head pressure.

George

I have no idea what is going on in that picture...

Money is not the issue, what I'm looking to acheive is.

BTW, I used a Squence barracuda pump earlier today knowing it was not pressure rated. I was persuaded it would work due to the flow rate.

I'll never get those couple hours back. :biggrin: But the fun will always be there.

I think I have a wahoo or a marlin. Coulda got a hammerhead for 10 bucks more (and it was sitting right on the shelf next to the one I got at That Fish Place), just didn't need it. Even the pump I got is a little too much. I figured I could save some dollars on electricity by getting just the flow I need.

Sometimes I think you all with your 50x turnover are crazy :) Of course, your tank is quite a bit bigger than mine.

I have 15' head and I'm totally satisfied with the flow.

tim