Creating Flow

discretekarma

I recently set up a 15 gallon frag tank and with just the overflow and reeturn there isn't a lot of movement. I wanted to know what type of powerhead/s would be best to get good flow. To maxi jets? It's such a small tank that I can easily see there being to much flow in there. I guess it would be better to put several smaller ones in there than one big one. What is good for small power heads? Thanks.

With that size tank, I would just use one MJ1200. Should be enough flow for only a 15gal. Maybe with one of those hydor rotating wavemakers on it to randomize the flow?

Great...All I needed was another excuse to go back to BRK.

With that size tank, I would just use one MJ1200. Should be enough flow for only a 15gal. Maybe with one of those hydor rotating wavemakers on it to randomize the flow?

I recently set up a 15 gallon frag tank and with just the overflow and reeturn there isn't a lot of movement. I wanted to know what type of powerhead/s would be best to get good flow. To maxi jets? It's such a small tank that I can easily see there being to much flow in there. I guess it would be better to put several smaller ones in there than one big one. What is good for small power heads? Thanks.

Go with a Tunze Nano Stream 6025. More expensive, but a much better pump.

It says 660 gph. Won't that be to much for a 15 gallon tank?

well considering that most people here are looking for way more than 10 x turn over for what ever reason... what about a korelia (sp?) or a mj mod?

I second 143gadget, use tunze 6025 and mod it. I got around 1000+ after mod or in ur case dont need the mod but can mod it later if u switch out to a bigger tank :D

Edited by bk_market

(edited)

If I calculate correctly, that would be circulating my frag tank 44 times per hour without the mod and 66+ times per hour with a mod. I think that may blow the frags right out of my tank.

well considering that most people here are looking for way more than 10 x turn over for what ever reason... what about a korelia (sp?) or a mj mod?

Edited by discretekarma

If I calculate correctly, that would be circulating my frag tank 44 times per hour without the mod and 66+ times per hour with a mod. I think that may blow the frags right out of my tank.

the 6025 is probably too much for a 15. look at the smaller koralia pumps. 2 of these would probably be good:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~Sea...ps~vendor~.html

The reason is for healthy livestock. You want to get good flow over whatever you put in there. There will be high and low flow spots. No reason not to have more than 10x turnover. Especially if there is SPS.

the 6025 is probably too much for a 15. look at the smaller koralia pumps. 2 of these would probably be good:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~Sea...ps~vendor~.html

Not at all.

I second James......a single maxijet 1200 with a rotating deflector will be plenty of flow for a 15g.

I don't think that is enough. Maybe if he wat just putting in softies, but once you get into SPS and LPS he will need more than that.

Trust me w/ a BB frag tank 44x turnover will be perfect. You won't have too much flow. If I am correct a 24g is 24" long right? I think you will be fine. Especially if you are gonna have SPS and LPS in there. Or you can do two of the new koralia nanos. They look promising. Very small and one on each side would give you a better flow pattern than just one pump pushing water to one side.