Which fans do you use?

jamesbuf

I know I can go to any radioshack and get any old 4" fan, but I'm wondering what fans people have had success with. Meaning that they've lasted for a decent amount of time and they aren't loud as helll. I'm going to be using 4 of them to vent my canopy over my 92, so the sound factor is definitely important. Thanks for any advice offered.

I put one of those twin window fans (8" i think) on the back of my canopy. It has worked great for 6 months so far and it's very quiet. It has a thermostat and independent fan speed controls that can either intake or exhaust and was around $25 dollars from Home Depot.

Wreck

I know I can go to any radioshack and get any old 4" fan, but I'm wondering what fans people have had success with. Meaning that they've lasted for a decent amount of time and they aren't loud as helll. I'm going to be using 4 of them to vent my canopy over my 92, so the sound factor is definitely important. Thanks for any advice offered.

Its a canopy for a 92gal corner tank, with two 4" holes on each side. There are also six 4" holes in the top of the canopy to let hot air escape. I plan on blowing air in from the sides, right over the T5s and MH bulbs, and the hot air should rise up and out of the canopy. Thats the plan anyways.

From the lack of responses, should I assume that a fan is a fan, and there isn't much difference between them all?

Its a canopy for a 92gal corner tank, with two 4" holes on each side. There are also six 4" holes in the top of the canopy to let hot air escape. I plan on blowing air in from the sides, right over the T5s and MH bulbs, and the hot air should rise up and out of the canopy. Thats the plan anyways.

This has nothing to do with my aquarium experience, which is next to nil, but more my past life in architecture school. I'd think you want those fans pointing "out"...sucking fresh air from the upper holes and blowing the hot air from the lights out the sides.

Guess it would be easy enough to test out both ways and figure out which keeps things the coolest.

Tracy

blowing in is best in general...pulling out warm moist salty air will corrupt your fans and degrade performance and limit fan life.

blowing in is best in general...pulling out warm moist salty air will corrupt your fans and degrade performance and limit fan life.

Never thought about the salty air, but I would have thought that most salt would stay in the tank. I can see the moisture having an impact though.

Actually, I just checked, and the fans on my light blow air out...but there is a spash guard on the fixture too.

Will bow out and leave this discussion to the experts! LOL

Tracy

I got a couple of IceCap Smartfans for my canopy 4 years ago, and mounted them blowing in. Worried that I'd spent too much on fancy fans, but they are still going strong 4 years later. As quiet as any other fan, I suppose, and the noise hasn't increased at all with time.

I run icecap fans but sometimes when both are running at full speed, is can be loud.....I have one in my hood sucking outside are (room air) into the hood to cool off two 250w MH bulbs and dual 48" t5s. The other in blowing air across the sump to disapate heat and the noise has always been distracting.....was thinking of trying the following 4" fan

SilenX iXtrema Pro 120mm Ultra Quiet Case Fan, 14dBA, 1400rpm, 72CFM

http://www.microbarn.com/details.aspx?rid=101547

Icecap 120mm Maximum decibels: 48 dBA, 50

I run icecap fans but sometimes when both are running at full speed, is can be loud.....I have one in my hood sucking outside are (room air) into the hood to cool off two 250w MH bulbs and dual 48" t5s. The other in blowing air across the sump to disapate heat and the noise has always been distracting.....was thinking of trying the following 4" fan

Has anyone used a computer temperature controller that monitors temperatures and ability to control multiple fans, on an aquarium setup with case fans?

They are cheap, descriptions look like they could control the speed of fans based upon temperature, and they would be a cool addition (looks too) to a 'control center' for you aquarium.

I need fans that I can clamp somehow on the sides of the tank because I have no canopy.