what to do if tank cracks

treesprite

Last night I had a dream that I accidently banged something against the side of my 45g tank and it cracked. I immediately panicked (in the dream) wondering what the h*ll to do, and woke up right at that moment.

Now I am wondering, what SHOULD I do it the tank ever gets a crack in it? also, what is to be expected if the tank does suddenly get cracked?

Last night I had a dream that I accidently banged something against the side of my 45g tank and it cracked. I immediately panicked (in the dream) wondering what the h*ll to do, and woke up right at that moment.

Now I am wondering, what SHOULD I do it the tank ever gets a crack in it? also, what is to be expected if the tank does suddenly get cracked?

You could always set up a 125 gallon backup tank...so if/when your 45g every gets a crack, you can easily transfer the livestock to the 125g until you repair the 45g... :wink:

Well the odds of you cracking your tank for an immediate flood is slim. First, most of the glass is tempered which makes it very hard to break. If you were to hit it hard enough, you will probably experience a small leak until it reaches critical mass; meaning that you would have some time to move everything out to another tank. If you an experience a leak at all, it will most likely be a slow leak. The same situation applies; you should have enough time to move everything out.

In other words, I wouldn't really worry :) Just keep an eye on your tank in general.

Must be a chick thing...I've had nightmares about that too!

I have two 24g rubbermaid bins. One always has saltwater mixing in it, and one is empty. Those along with the five gallon buckets should suffice until I could run out and get a replacement. Thankfully, my tank could probably be replaced by a quick run to any major pet store.

Oh, and duct tape always on hand! ROFL

Tracy

panic...

:lol:

like what everyone else says, I wouldn't worry about it too much but if you do spring a leak have some plastic storage containers handy to transplant all of your corals and fish... also have a surplus of powerheads and heaters... then buy a bigger tank!

you can find some nice cheap plastic tubs at walmart for $4 each, I have 6 of them in storage right now. They are stackable for easy storage...

if your tank cracks.. it would be a great excuse to buy a bigger tank :)

hmmm y didnt i think of that before... the 55 gallon isnt cuting if for me anymore.

It happened to me about three years ago.

gallery_2631271_235_14505.jpg

I woke up to the sound of running water around 4am. I ran downstairs and glanced at my 150 glass tank. It had a crack running from the front bottom corner up to the front center of the tank. I must have woken up fairly quickly as the water level was still fairly high. There was a steam of water shooting out in a sheet along the crack. I was fairly groggy and the first thing that came to mind was to try to keep the water in the tank. I ran and got a trash bag and put it in the tank along the crack and that slowed it down. I then ran and got my water change trash cans and filled them up. Once they were full I siphoned the water out the window. The tank was still leaking while I was doing this. I tried to put duck-tape over the split but it would not stick. I would guess about 50 gallons hit the floor. It was a very long morning. I had mostly fish at the time and was able to get much of rock in the trash cans with them and then hooked up my wet/dry to the cans. Luckily, my tank is over an un-finished basement so the loss to the floor below was fairly minimal. I had carpet at the time and tried to get a wet-vac on it right away but it was just too much water. I had to have the sub-floor torn out and replaced and then up-graded to hardwood flooring. Insurance covered some of the cost and the tank company sent me a free new tank. It turns out that the plastic center brace slowly split and the front glass panel bowed out till it failed. I would keep an eye on them, especially if you got some hot lights on it.

Here is the brace crack.

gallery_2631271_235_1095837.jpg

ouch, now that's a crack!