looking for a blue fish

treesprite

I'm taking ideas for bright blue or mostly blue fish, AND a yello or mostly yellow fish that:

1. can go in a 45g

2. will get along with: 1 orchid (fridmani) dottyback, 1 large female clown & 1 smallish male tomato clown

3. is not difficult to keep healthy

4. is not expensive if obtained from the right source

A blue-&-yellow-together fish would be great.

I might get a yellow watchman goby for yellow, since I'm having a very difficult time finding something suitable. I can't come up with something blue. Yellow and blue are my favorite fish colors and the only thing with y&b that I had, has been banished from that tank.

Edited by treesprite

We've got a pair of Azure Damsels in our tank (bright blue on top and their belly and tail are bright yellow). They're pretty inexpensive fish where ever you go (we bought ours from another member).

Now, I know what you're thinking...Damsels=meanies. The reason why we got those is because we read up that they were reef safe and that they're the most tame of the damsels. Now do ours behave all the time? No. But they learn (tried to nip at our smaller perc, and the big one came up and showed it who's boss...got a royal gramma and after a couple of days, they left it alone and any time they come close to the royal, he opens his mouth real wide in a display of aggression sort of way and they leave him alone).

:cheers:

Thanks for the suggestions, though those 2 fish are out.

Angel may not be reef safe (I don't particularly like the bicolors anyway).

Assessors are basslets, which supposedly don't work out well with dottybacks.

Damsels... I don't plan on replacing a mean damsel with another damsel, but they really are such nice looking fish. If damsels weren't aggressive I would have a jewel or velvet.

I agree that blue reef chromises look great esp. when they're small and especially in a school.

For yellow, how about a canary blenny? Beautiful bright yellow, smallish, with a crescent tail. If not, watchman goby is a good choice as well, but not as brilliant yellow.

blue reef chromis and get a few to school....

Edited by rsarvis

No wrasses for me.

I'm not sure about the blue reef chromis - are they like other damsels or peaceful?

No on the damsel (excluding possibly chromis - have to get more info)

Chromis are all generally peaceful, AFAIK (as far as I know -- I think I just invented that one -- pretty lame I know :) ).

In addition to the green and blue, there are the Purple reef chromis, which look blue in my tank:

bluereefchromis.jpg

For peaceful damsels, I highly recommend theses: Talbot's Damsels

Not the best picture:

bluereefchromistalbots.jpg

Touted by Bob Fenner as "the world's best reef damsel." http://www.wetwebmedia.com/c_talboti.htm

Not blue, but purple's kind of close, right? Anyway, they are very cool fish to watch. They like to make little burrows, moving the sand grain by grain with their mouths.

Oh, and once you pick out your blue and yellow fish, you could also get a couple each of blue and yellow cleaner gobies.

Chromis are all generally peaceful, AFAIK (as far as I know -- I think I just invented that one -- pretty lame I know :) ).

In addition to the green and blue, there are the Purple reef chromis, which look blue in my tank:

bluereefchromis.jpg

For peaceful damsels, I highly recommend theses: Talbot's Damsels

Not the best picture:

bluereefchromistalbots.jpg

Touted by Bob Fenner as "the world's best reef damsel." http://www.wetwebmedia.com/c_talboti.htm

Not blue, but purple's kind of close, right? Anyway, they are very cool fish to watch. They like to make little burrows, moving the sand grain by grain with their mouths.

Oh, and once you pick out your blue and yellow fish, you could also get a couple each of blue and yellow cleaner gobies.

I think for yellow as an entire fish being yellow, I'll go with the watchman goby. I looked some stuff up on chromis earlier and now can't remember it. There was a limbaugh??? chromis that looked interesting. I'll have to look it up a second time because info isn't sticking in my head right now.

Im gonna say a hippo tang. One alone in 45g should be fine especially if you buy it small. Hippo tang always available in small anyway and go for about 25$. Very nice fish alwasy interest with me when I come to the tank. Nice blue body with yellow tail. Also will help you getting rid of algea.

If you want a pure yellow fish I'd go for a yellow tang. Samething with the hippo go with small size and let it grow. No problem at all especially yellow from my own experience they are tough as tank. Eat everything you throw at them.

Plus any of the two will be the main attraction of your tank.

Edited by bk_market

if its gotta be a damsel, go with a demoiselle, the unsung fish in the family that are black body with yellow nike like swooshes on their top tin and tail. very pretty fish, and they DO NOT get big, they are not open swimmers though but more a bolt hole style fish .

my non fish informed friends call them the fish mafia, as they all squabble over who got the food first and where, but they don't bother my other denizens.

worth looking into if you can find them as they are really not a easily seen fish, and most distributors dont label them correctly.

I'm not putting a tang in a 45 because it's only 3 feet long. Years ago I had a beautiful, big and plump yellow tang that I really miss. Some eon or other when I manage to get a 75, I will get another yellow tang. I believe they are my favorite fish even before clowns. For right now, I have to settle for something smaller.

Damsels are out of the question, except maybe chromis. I wonder how many would go in my tank for a little school, if its them, the clowns, the dottyback, and planned yellow watchman goby. Whatever it is, that would be it for the fish.

I agree, I could not recommend a tang for this size tank, much less two conspecific tangs. However, I have had success with yellow clown gobies. They are generally hardy, a bit finicky for food, good community fish, and fun to watch. And they are cheap, usually, and easy to find at local stores.

As for blue - maybe dwarf coral beauty?

I'm worried about an angel picking at things. About 3 years ago I got a flame angel, found out they might pick at corals, and because I always intended to put corals in there, I took it back. Should have kept it and waited until now to give it up.

I've read that it depends on the angel species and even then, it depends on that specific fish - they each have their own little personalities. :) I can say that MY coral beauty never pecked at corals, but that's just my fish . . .

Guest speccialj922

check out the Chalk Bass. I had one for a few months, it jumped out of my tank when i left the hood up for a few hours. unfortunatly, i haven't been able to find another one since.

now I'm also in the market for nano fish. Stupid damsel... I'm going to all this trouble to build him his own home and he went carpet surfing :( poor thing