Water test

flowerseller

As part of my routine, I test my ALK on Thursdays.

I've got a large install tomorrow morning so I happened to do it this morning.

I got

ALK 13.8

Ca 390-400

Just so happens our buddy "phisigs79" stopped by to pick up a large water container.

I asked him to take a sample of my tank water and test it himself.

He got

ALK 14.0

Ca 400

I did not speak to Chris as he left a message so I don't know if he did a high or low resolution test. I typically do a low resolution test weekly but just happen to do a high resolution test this morning. I only do high res. once a month or if I experience a marked change in the low res test.

I do know that we both bought at least our ALK test kits, maybe both, from the GB I did in January from Aquatic Technology.

Realize that the difference in some cases can be as simple as a drop of reagent, or as confussing as a judgement call on the "target color" and results can be considered significant.

examples:

One drop of the reagent on an ALK test can mean a difference of 10.2 and 10.6

One drop of #3 reagent on a Ca test can mean a difference of 390-400

My Alk is a little higher than I typically keep it but I also just cleaned and recharged my KALK reactor Sunday evening so it's not out of line.

I share this comparisson as another example to relate how easily one person can have a different reading than another person with the same water sample.

Yes some kits can be bad as Ybenormal is reporting since this also was linked to the guy supossedly dissapearing for awhile with no way to contact him.

I understand they have located the possible problem and I for one continue to have confidence in Salifert test kits until I see otherwise.

Anyone interested in going in and buying an ALK test kit at BRK during the social and bringing a sample of your water to test against it?

Chip,

I agree that two people could end up with slightly different results using two different test kits. I sometimes see slightly different results when I perform multiple tests back to back using one test kit! As you noted, it can come down to one drop more or less or even the sizes of the drops as you do the test. These are also hobby test kits and some margin of error, I believe it is .3dKh, is considered to be within the acceptable range for the test kit itself. The results you and Chris had on the test were pretty much identical in my book.

What's interesting is that I performed tests on one sample of water using three Salifert test kits. One was an almost exhausted kit purchased from your GB. The second was purchased at BRK months later but had the same batch number as the one from the GB and was newly opened for this test. The third kit was also new but belonged to someone else and had a different batch number and expiration date. The first two kits measured nearly identical and the third one was .9dKh higher. This is not as bad as some people have been reporting but it was one person performing all tests and the results were repeatable. I still have faith in Salifert test kits but I do believe they have problems with some of the recent batches of Alk, Ca and maybe Mag test kits.

I'm still waiting on a new Alk test kit being sent from Salifert with the reference solution. I'll bring it to BRK if it arrives before the social.

I would be interested in the baseline YB... are they including or do you have to purchase seperately?

Chip... Johnny donated a test kit to the club... I still have it.

Dave

I did the lower resolution test. I would be interested in checking to see if the test kits are in fact off.

Even if mine is off, I'm not neccesarily one to jump and change a bunch of stuff because something says different than what I see. I've been lucky to enjoy good, sometimes rapid, growth and always had good color with what the tests have been reading.

I would be interested in the baseline YB... are they including or do you have to purchase seperately?

These kits are being sent to some people who reported issues with test kits. They are being sent through a middleman (reefgeek I think) and the latest news is that we should receive them this week or next. These kits will have a reference solution included. Habib hinted that they have a plan to resolve the reports of inaccurate readings and it's my guess that they will be including a small reference solution in all future Alk kits. Again, that's just a guess though.

If the kit arrives and includes a reference solution to validate it's accurate, we can then use the verified test kit to test a sample of water and use that same sample to verify the accuracy of other older kits that do not have a reference solution.

Anyone interested in going in and buying an ALK test kit at BRK during the social and bringing a sample of your water to test against it?

I'd like to bring my test kit and some water to the social. I stopped using Kalk about a week and a half ago because the Alk was reading 14.1 after recharging, so I have been letting it drop. It's down to 12.1 now.

So how did that work out for you Chip?

so, just tested chip's water and mine .... results are as follows

flowerseller's water

test kit brand Salifert (note, two different salifert kits were used)

batch number 0506B/0306B = 12.5 dKH

batch number 0606K/0806W = 13.8 dKH

test kit brand marineland = 12.6

kngfisher's water

test kit brand Salifert (note, two different salifert kits were used)

batch number 0506B/0306B = 13.4

batch number 0606K/0806W = 14.5

test kit brand marineland = 14

I drew the water, I bagged the water, and I left the water on the sofa in the fish area.

Jon tested it.

I have 2 kits from batch number 0606K/0806W which is what we got at the NADC group buy I headed in January. He got the same reading I did, even a few days later.

At the metting, Copps used a LaMotte kit he had just gotten and it was real close to the

"marineland" test kit. I found that to be as much of a pain as Salifert and had just as much room for error based on color change.

A few drops or a decsion as to where the color is can have dramatic results as to the ALK reading.

Since I find my coral grows better at a higher ALK, and I don't make changes fast anyways, I'm quite comfortable.

Frags I made 2.5 weeks ago are showing clear signs of encrusting the mount and the blunt cut end has heald and tipped with color again. It was that big stag colony you lost that I got a few years ago from Rik and the frag from your tank too.

This would be fine for a group to do IMHO.

Everybody agrees that this stuff is "true" and we go from here or there.

It might boil down to how muddy we want to make the water.

What if there's a problem with the reference solution batch?

Same with LaMotte, Hatch , Salifert and Billy Bobs testin stuff for that there seawater.

I remember a time when looking into the tank and seeing what you saw, meant something.

I remember a time when looking into the tank and seeing what you saw, meant something.

I do too, and thats how the problem was actually diagnosed. You also forget sometimes that many of us (ok almost all of us) lack the advantage of having a tank that has aged 10+ years. Some of these things are just not going to affect your tank like they will ours. I would even say that something that would crash my system wouldn't even effect yours. I think it is time for you to start over and buy that 240 for sale......

I think a reference solution is a good thing to have. Even if our kits are accurate at least we can calibrate our eyes with it as to what color the testing product shows when the actual reading is achieved.

I really think the best kit is one that gives you the reading you want to see :biggrin:

Anyone want to order a few of these and split shipping?

http://www.aquariumobsessed.com/mm5/mercha...;Category_Code=

Willing to try it - but they don't seem to indicate how MUCH of that stuff you get - how many tests. And what is the shelf life like?

I do like the way they tell about it - 'test this stuff instead of your tank water'. Well, that might give you nice consistent results - but hopefully at some point you would also test your tank water. :)

bob