Powerhead Suggestions for a 75 gallon

Nitro Junkie

Looking for affordable powerhead suggestions for my 75 gallon that will be eventually be connected to a wave maker. Also want strong enough flow to keep a variety of corals

Seio 1100 (or two if you want a LOT of flow).

bob

one mjmod :-)

Tried an mj-12 modkit in my 58 (36") - and it has too much velocity. The Seio moves the same amount of water - but spreads it out a little, and randomizes it somewhat. Between that and the Wavyseas with a MAG-7, I still get a little bit of sand movement over time, but nothing like the modkit.

I'd say absolute minimum 4-foot tank for the mj-12 modkit; and even then you might move a little sand at the other end.

bob

Try a Hydor Koralia. I had two Seio 1100s and went to the Koralias. I like them much better. They look better and have even a more spread out flow than the seios. They use way less energy that the maxijets and they even come with their own magnet mounts.

James

I have two Koralia 4s in my 75g mounted on opposite ends of the tank. They might work on a wavemaker but expect some clatter as they start up.

I have two Koralia 4s in my 75g mounted on opposite ends of the tank. They might work on a wavemaker but expect some clatter as they start up.

Does your wavemaker have a "soft-start" ? I'm hoping that the Koralia will do well on the softstart on my aquacontroller. I know several people who use the wavemaker to turn the Koralia off at night to simulate calmer waters at nighttime, but I'm wondering how they will hold up to turning them off an on a couple dozen times a day.

One Koralia 4. Bigalsonline.com has them for just $49 right now. Look in the group buy section for the GB ending tomorrow.

I'm convinced. I added a couple to the group buy.

bob

Is this tank set up already? Drilled? Do you have a sump?

Is 'a variety of corals' a few SPS, with LPS and zoas sprinkled around?

How about an eductor on your return plumbing and a closed loop and SeaSwirls = no powerheads?

jp