Your daily PSA: Show some love to Cyanobacteria...

Black Mammoth

We are here (and other life) because of Cyanobacteria. That's all!

huh?

We are here (and other life) because of Cyanobacteria. That's all!

woah dude, put the pipe down and step away from the table....

:why:

Cyanobacteria is believed to be the original life form on this planet that produced oxygen and nitrogen for the first signs of life as we know it. It at the "primordial soup" that the earth was and created our atmosphere for us and also later developed into chlorophyll according to some theories. That's why it's so resilient and can exist in poor conditions (as well as good ones)!

Cyanobacteria is believed to be the original life form on this planet that produced oxygen and nitrogen for the first signs of life as we know it. It at the "primordial soup" that the earth was and created our atmosphere for us and also later developed into chlorophyll according to some theories. That's why it's so resilient and can exist in poor conditions (as well as good ones)!

Ding! Ding! Ding! I'm glad to see that someone got the teaser. I was hoping that this would invoke some thought :)

Ding! Ding! Ding! I'm glad to see that someone got the teaser. I was hoping that this would invoke some thought :)

Dude you are Genius :clap: :clap: :clap: , Now STOP teasing my poor brain with such questions it's hurting :biggrin:

I don't buy it. I think the Babylonian idea of how we came to be is much more plausible:

The Babylonian creation myth(?), the Enuma Elish, begins with the gods of water, Apsu (fresh), and Tiamat (salt), spawning several generations of gods, leading to Ea and his many brothers. However, these younger gods made so much noise that Apsu and Tiamat could not sleep. Apsu plotted to kill them, but Ea killed him first. Tiamat vowed revenge and created many monsters, including the Mad Dog and Scorpion Man. Ea and the goddess Damkina created Marduk, a giant god with four eyes and four ears, as their protector. In tangling with Tiamat, Marduk, bearing the winds as weapons, hurled an evil wind down her gullet, incapacitating her, and then killed her with a single arrow to her heart. He then split her body in half and used it to create the heavens and the earth. Later he created man to do the drudge work that the gods refused to do.

I am finishing re-reading Richard Fortey's "Life: A Natural History of the First Four Billion Years of Life on Earth," and am again astounded by how many hundreds of millions of years passed with not much more than cyanobacteria making mats and stromatolites (and oxygen). I suppose it was a pretty relaxing time.

Thanks to cyano everywhere!

dude call me religious but I refuse to believe those wacked out theories... Life came from a giant blob of red slime? yeah right... a bunch of old scientist smoking herbals thinking the world was just a evolution... right... :eek:

I saw some dirt morph into cool stuff when I was a kid smokin in the woods.... :smokin:

I saw some dirt morph into cool stuff when I was a kid smokin in the woods....

ah so this explains some things.....

dude call me religious but I refuse to believe those wacked out theories... Life came from a giant blob of red slime? yeah right... a bunch of old scientist smoking herbals thinking the world was just a evolution... right... :eek:

I saw some dirt morph into cool stuff when I was a kid smokin in the woods.... :smokin:

I sense a convert to the Babylonian explanation!

I was afraid this topic may come up. Who says it can't be both? I consider myself religious, but I also believe in evolution. What about the living organisms before man?

I was afraid this topic may come up. Who says it can't be both? I consider myself religious, but I also believe in evolution. What about the living organisms before man?

Exactly. Like Apsu, Tiamat, Marduk.....

I wish there was more helium.

Looks like more than one person needs to put down the pipe. :)

I personally am a Pastafarian and turn to the Flying Spaghetti Monster for the origins of life.

...there is an invisible and undetectable Flying Spaghetti Monster, which created the entire universe after drinking heavily. All evidence for evolution was planted by the Flying Spaghetti Monster, in an effort to test Pastafarians' faith... When scientific measurements, such as radiocarbon dating, are made, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage.

Mogurnda, Carl Sagan has a really great depiction of the origins of life via cyanobacteria in his classic book Cosmos, if you're interested.

how would I know? I was born in the 70's :biggrin:

dude for all I know the big bang is to blame, who ever created this planet and everything in it, I want to thank him or her (you never know) for all the beautiful reefs that we enjoy on a daily...

I like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

I am never sure how to respond to this. Options include:

"Me too!"

"I like mine with oxygen, thank you."

"A moose bit my sister once."

(edited)

this is hilarious

ok, so who's to say both theories aren't correct OR that both aren't wrong?

I'm absolutely positive that a few of you are part of the reptilian conspiracy and have bases tucked away into the earth below the great pyramids, having landed on earth following expulsion from that other universe on the other side of the black hole. Those universes with 10 dimensions have some very freaky laws of nature, which is why SOME of us came into being one way, and SOME of us a different way.

actually, I'd like to know why it even matters how life and humans came into being - we are here that's all there is to it, unless you're trying to find out whether or not your great great great great great-to-the-Nth-power grandchildren will be humans or something more advanced, or show true the lines of reptilian inbreeding

Edited by treesprite

(edited)

Bloody ell you guys are hard to please, i'd be happier if they made tire changing a Televised sport so i could change the channel instead of sitting through it on my commute home :biggrin:

ivefoundjesussofalarge.jpg

Edited by mutley29

mutley,

is the "think" image yours, copyrighted, or fair game?