oceans motions or wavyseas

jamal

i am trying to decide between an oceans motions 4 way and 2 wavy seas on a closed loop with a S. dart or barracuda

i would do a ocean motion 4 way

These are different beasts. The Ocean Motions is alternating current while the Wavy Seas is oscillating current. You could probably combine the two or get the Ocean Motions and add on the Squirt (I think this is the right one) that moves current back and forth but from what I've seen on their site it's not quite as smooth as the Wavy Seas. So, the real question is what do you want in your tank as far as flow? Alternating current or sweeping current?

I have seen alot of wavysea with problems including mine

I have seen alot of wavysea with problems including mine

Mine's been running a couple of months, trouble-free. One thing, after a power flop, it doesn't start moving again until you use the keypad to program it again (just a few seconds, but if you're not around, it just stays pointed in one direction).

bob

the OM 4-way has 4 usually 1 inch outlets. You can insert I think 3 different "drums" into the unit that allow you to change the frequency of how often water is pushed out one of the 4 openings. You will also need to check OM website because the OM is only rated for around 3,000 gph or so ( perhaps more depending on which drum you get).

The wavysea or other option of Sea-swirls just rotate the water back and forth with their sweep motion and usually you have steady stream of water coming out of them. You could add a squid, but they are not rated for much flow - least don't think they can take full flow of dart or more.

I run my return through two 3/4 sea-swirls. On separate system, I have closed loop with dart pump and OM 4-way. In addition, I have two tunze stream 6100's.

There is adding toys, and then there is adding toys. What is your goal here - more flow in tank? What are you currently using for flow?

When it comes down to ease of adding flow, hard to beat the ease of adding a couple tunze streams on a 7095 controller. Sure they are a big bigger to look at than small inlet/outlet of closed loop pipes, but you can spend as much or more adding closed loop with dart, OM 4-way and pvc pipe and fittings.

well my goal is to banish powerheads while keeping good flow. from what i am reading it sounds like the OM 4 way might be better. i just want good flow for my corals

decision is up to you and your situation. I added a WavySea+ to my running 90 but if I were to do it again, and I was starting a new tank, I would go OM 4 way and drill holes on the back of tank at different levels so I would have no powerheads in the display at all. looks like that would be great even in a closed loop system.....like anything else, its a toy. Not needed to be successful but sure nice to have if you can afford it.

I agree, although after poweroutage, the wavysea needing to be reset is easy, sometimes can be annoying....you can attach the wavysea to an UPS but that adds expense.....again, if I were to have done it over, would have gotten an OM

Do not know the reliability of OM but just like the rest, they are not water-proof......wish someone would design a product for a change that was....wonder how hot a OM gets, could you encase it in a balloon like the old analog speed controller on an RC car....

Do not know the reliability of OM but just like the rest, they are not water-proof......

??? sure about that? I don't have one, but have seen many use it without buckets underneath...

215%20tank%20016.jpg

This is what my OM 4-way looks like plumbed in. Not sure what kingfisher is talking about having it waterproof. The motor on top does not have any chance of having water touch it from housing. It uses magnetic force to spin "drum" inside housing.

See page 1 of this thread: http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?show...c=6245&st=0

drilling established tank - VERY hard to do, almost best to have done it when tank was new. What are your options for location of holes and plumbing closed loop?

well i know i dont want to drill. it seems the wavy seas may be best for that reason alone. i cant drill for a closed loop and i dont want powerheads so i guess oscillating flow will have to do

You certianly do not need to drill for a closed loop, you can simply run pvc up over your lip and hide it behind your rock work. Or run it up over your rim and have it come back down hidden inside an over flow then just drill holes out of the overflow at the bottom have them hidden and sealed comming out of the over flow

??? sure about that? I don't have one, but have seen many use it without buckets underneath...

True, had mine for over a year, never had a problem nor a leak.

I would go with the 4-way, very versatile and reliable, and if you have any problems Paul from OM responds to emails very very quickly and will call you to sort out all/any problems.

OM rocks

I use OM and seaswirls. Seaswirls are a better bang for the buck IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I like the OM but when it comes down to which one does more water movement randomly Seaswirl is clearly the winner. Seaswirl vs. Wavysea? Seaswirl for it's simplicity and cost. Wavysea has those stepper motors and control boards that are notorious for going bad and not working after power failures and having to be reprogrammed all the time. Seaswirls do take up more space than any other option though.