Heniochus diphreutes

Guest 4Runner

Guest 4Runner
(edited)

I would want to have some Heniochus diphreutes but I cannot find a dealer that carries them. Do you know of any place where I could buy them?

heniochus1.jpg

Thanks

Edited by 4Runner

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

Aquarium One in Rockville often has them. I haven't been there recently. Give them a call. Cool fish. Pretty easy.

Edited by alan mcilvried

Have you heard of

http://www.nyaquatic.com

He's a pretty decent vendor with decent prices and has given us discounts in the past

longfin%20bannerfish.jpg

http://www.nyaquatic.com/servlet/the-Butte...fish/Categories

PSSSSST I think you should start a group buy :rollface:

I've been wanting some diphreutes for awhile. The only two places I know of that sell them are vividaquariums.com and coralreeffarm.com. The pict aobve looks like a acuminatus to me, but it is hard to tell the difference when they're really small and I'm no expert.

Ooops, just noticed the website says it is acuminatus.

This guy is a wholesaler in Hawaii. Last time I checked with him was in the Fall of '06 and he didn't have any diphreutes shipping past about Chicago, but he may be supplying East Coast LFS by now.

william@pacifictropics.com

(edited)

PSSSSST I think you should start a group buy :rollface:

Agreed! :clap:

I might jump on the diphreutes bandwagon.

Question for all you knowledgeable folks: Can I have both a H. diphreutes and a copperbanded butterfly? Or is it stick to one butterfly species? 180g reef tank. Currently I don't have many fish and they're all small, but I'll prob get a couple tangs at some point, too.

Also, do copperbands (or H. diph.) eat feather dusters? I saw somewhere they eat worms, so I'm wondering if I'll be sacrificing my feather duster if I get one of these two fish (or both).

Edited by rsarvis

:bb:

As the Unofficial Expert of this species, I'm on my 4th one and is my #1 FAVORITE Fish

When I get my future 300-500g in wall I already have plans of a whole school of them!

I've raised them successfully in 30-90g tanppks, always the best of manners. Will tollerate a tank bully, but zero aggression to fish, corals or inverts. I'm sure there are exception but I would bet they had an Acumentas!!

IMHO, I've tried all LFS with no luck getting a 100% supplier of them, even though I've beg them never to carry the .A. :wink:

VividAquarium.com has been the best for stock and price BUT as officer I would love in THIS POST if our LFS can say they can get 100%. CONFIRMED, PLZ POST!

MOST of times ID is simple, if the White Stripe touches at the point you have the B/W H. D.

Goes just tad over a 1/16" above the point, you have the A.

I have to get off my Blackberry now,

I JUST WRECK MY TRUCK!!!

:cry:

:cry:

This sucks, my girls and I are ok, but my fender, light and bumper are going to need a body man!!

Oh...... And there won't be a Bambi Sequel!

:eek:

(edited)

woah! did that happen while you were on your blackberry?? hmm

haha

great that everybody is ok!!!!!

cept for bambi- :(

btw there already was a bambi 2 :)

Edited by toastiireefs

Guest Bemmer

Howard,

You wrote all that on your blackberry. Bad boy. Be careful, buddy.

Sorry to digress. Back on topic.

Beautiful fish.

Guest 4Runner

I just wonder if John at BRK could get this fish for us

:blush:

Hey gang, $1350. Damaged and a lot more my pride!

Ah yes, the Crackberry struck again!

:(

WOW!

Insurance Company pushed the estimate UP to $2500 from the accident!!!

:eek:

Anyone know the answer to this...

Thanks.

Question for all you knowledgeable folks: Can I have both a H. diphreutes and a copperbanded butterfly? Or is it stick to one butterfly species? 180g reef tank. Currently I don't have many fish and they're all small, but I'll prob get a couple tangs at some point, too.

Also, does either (H. diph. or copperband) eat feather dusters? I saw somewhere the copperband eats worms, so I'm wondering if I'll be sacrificing my feather duster if I get one of these two fish (or both).

For a 180g, IMO, I would get a Single CB and 2-3 B/W H. D.

As far as the Feather Dusters, I WISH mine would eat them, but I've never seen one do it before, maybe pick at it as a reaction but nothing to worry about!

....RELEASE:

The comment made above are of the speaker and make NO suggestions that he knows 100% about everything! But just from experience!

:lol2:

Hey guys, as many of you know I help John out with ordering at BRK, and one of the collectors/suppliers I know in Hawaii collects these in Hawaii. Rest assured they are H. diphreutes, as H. acuminatus are not found in Hawaii. He is taking off the month of July (summer is the slow season for the industry), but Johnny could get these in in August if you guys would like them.

Distinguishing these is not so easy when small, but I've always found it easier to look at the rounded breast and blunt nose of the H. diphreutes rather than the anal fin. H. acuminatus are much more common in the industry and easier to collect as they are reef dwellers travelling usually as singles and pairs. H. diphreutes is way up in the water column (like pyramid butterblies and others considered "reef safe") and much harder to collect.

These can be kept generally with copperbands and other butterflies, but I've found that even the planktonic butterflies like diphreutes and pyramids eat tubeworms and featherdusters... on the bright side, they'll also eat aptasia though...

Guest 4Runner

He is taking off the month of July (summer is the slow season for the industry), but Johnny could get these in in August if you guys would like them.

I definitely want to have some. Please let me know if you/John want to have deposit up front. Thanks

Yea, that would be really cool!! I'm very tempted to do just that; I love the idea of a small school of these.

Right now, I have very little bioload (at least as fish are concerned--do you count other stuff (corals, hermits, etc.) when calculating bioload? Even still, it's low) and would like to get some beautiful fish to look at (slowly, I know). I'm wondering, in a 180, would a few angels be okay with a couple tangs and some cardinals as well? (Right now, I only have a clown pair, a lawnmower, a bicolor pseudochromis, a blue reef chromis, and a six-line wrasse.)

Would that be getting to be too much, with the larger fish mentioned above that I'm interested in?

For a 180g, IMO, I would get a Single CB and 2-3 B/W H. D.

Awesome. So when would we need to let you know by?

[what kind of fish is that in your profile pic?]

Hey guys, as many of you know I help John out with ordering at BRK, and one of the collectors/suppliers I know in Hawaii collects these in Hawaii. Rest assured they are H. diphreutes, as H. acuminatus are not found in Hawaii. He is taking off the month of July (summer is the slow season for the industry), but Johnny could get these in in August if you guys would like them.

Distinguishing these is not so easy when small, but I've always found it easier to look at the rounded breast and blunt nose of the H. diphreutes rather than the anal fin. H. acuminatus are much more common in the industry and easier to collect as they are reef dwellers travelling usually as singles and pairs. H. diphreutes is way up in the water column (like pyramid butterblies and others considered "reef safe") and much harder to collect.

These can be kept generally with copperbands and other butterflies, but I've found that even the planktonic butterflies like diphreutes and pyramids eat tubeworms and featherdusters... on the bright side, they'll also eat aptasia though...

I'll talk to John and update in this thread when these become available. Again it will probably be sometime in August.

Rsarvis, the amount of bioload a system can handle is dependant on many things including system design and tank maintenance... some 180s can handle many times the bioload of other 180s, and generally novice reefkeepers should not push the envelope. With that said, the stocking scheme you mention sounds fine though.

The fish in my avatar is a xanthic (a form of albinism) regal angelfish found in the Maldives that is very rare and when collected goes to Asia for thousands of dollars per specimen... They lack blue and black pigments...

xanthic_regal.jpg

Here's another specimen...

regal_xanthic.jpg

I've had a trio of regular Red Sea regals together for over two years now, and below is a shot from 2004 of my original guy for comparison (you could also see this guy in the WAMAS banner at the top of the page)... The xanthic form is one of my dream fish and I talked about it for those that stayed awake until the end of my "Rare Angels" talk... :biggrin: Sorry to go off-topic! :)

awesome_shot.jpg