Christmas tree worm questions

I see them all the time

On some sort of sps (this is an sps right)

I've seen them in a number of lfs now paired with this coral

xmas.jpg

Blue%20Christmas%20Tree%20Worm.jpg

Christmas%20Tree%20Worm.jpg

Pictures are one thing... finding info on care of them is a whole other story. When I seem them they're never over a half and inch tall. Is that standard, or do they get huge over time. I assume they're filter feeders... is that right or wrong? This coral I always seem them pair with, is there and unbreakable symbiosis or can they be found else where (just on LR rubble?)

Can some one please answer these questions for me, or pointme to a good resource on them?

Thanks very much, jason

Hi Jason, the coral from what I understand is porites. It's not an especially high care coral, but for some reason the worms never seem to do all that well. I think it's because they demand more food as a filter feeder and people don't seem to get that information for exactly the same reason you said, there's not that much information out there. I believe there's a symbiotic relationship because when I bought them years ago because of their beauty, when the porites went, so did the worms. That's about the extent of what I know...

mine came on a frag of galaxia I got at last years frag fest and it seems to be doing fine. I do not target fed and the galaxia does not bother it. Not sure if there needs to be any extra care given. Been feeding on what ever is in the water and been happy....atlest as far as I can tell.

I've seen thousands of them all over the world in nature. I've never seen them any larger than an inch or so.

fab

I have a couple of them in a rock that is encrusting with a montipora of some sort. They don't appear to NEED the coral - it's just that we buy corals, not rocks, and not too many people sell xmas tree worms. They do all seem to come in 'pairs' - two christmas trees = one worm. If they are active, the corals seem to grow around them instead of covering over them.

I bought the rock with the monti on it because of the xmas tree worms; I like them, too! I think if you feed your tank (by feeding the fish, or adding supplements), they filter out enough to survive.

bob

very interesting

uh oh... now everyone is gonna want one

uh oh... now everyone is gonna want one

they're a bit too small for me if they will never get bigger than a couple inches

they're a bit too small for me if they will never get bigger than a couple inches

But some are very bright colors... as you saw from the pictures above. Mine don't show up very well because they are red/black on a dark background - but if the montipora ever gets over to the one in the front, he should show up very well against that background.

bob

(edited)

These guys come in some spectacular colors and some really pretty patterns. Their behavior is fun to watch as they disappear in half a blink at any disturbance. They are so fast it is hard to believe. ... Small but great looking and fascinating. They are very high up on my list of "gotta haves." ...Soooo, whoever has extras of these fascinating critters I'll be interested.

fab

Edited by fab

Scales has a softball size piece of LR with a 3" X 3" size porite growing on it. I believe they are asking $60. Not bad if two people wanted to split it. There was a couple blue worms and a few others sticking out as well.

I was looking at "Todays Pet" *shudder* in columbia mall. They had a piece about the size of a soccer ball cut in half and with about 6 diffrent colors. Thats what I wanted to get and split. It was $40