RedBug Treatment

mutley29

I have several colonies in my system that are infested with Redbugs, with what i had read previously i never really paid them much attention, they come and go as with Flatworms.

But lately a few of my smooth-skinned acros have been getting much worse, so i am thinking of treating with Interceptor.

The recommendations are that you treat the individual colonies, in a perfect world i would do this, some of my corals are not removable as they have grown over the LR or are epoxyed into place.

So advice is being sought from those of you that have successfully treated RedBugs.

I have read from the following sites on the subject:

Melevs Reef

Eric Borneman

The DFW Forums

Reefs.org

Do i bite the bullet so to speak and treat the whole tank to ensure eradication from the system?, or should i try removing the corals and dipping them?

Any/All help appreciated

Anton

Treat the system.

Treat the system...

Dave

Start making new sea water, have carbon at the ready, and treat the whole system.

I'd remove anything you can that carries or lives in a shell, or sheds it's self.

Play the same game 10-12 days later.

mutley PM me if you decide to treat and i can help you out :biggrin:

Your only other fear would be mandarins if you have. Not as scary as you'd think. And the pods will come back. Just get some cheato from others.

Treat the system.

Below are some b/f & after pics of the coral that was most affected, but I have also seen dramatically increased PE and growth on corals I didn't think had a single bug.

Before treatment:

tricolorvalida1-24-07.jpg

Shortly after (note PE):

tricolorvalida2-4-07.jpg

2 1/2 months later (note - I fragged the little nub on the bottom right b/c it was shaded and not really coloring up):

IMG_1112.jpg

FWIW, I removed everything that sheds (that I could catch) to my refugium, and then took that offline. I treated for about 10 hours at 1 1/2 - 2X the originally recommended dose, then did a 20% water change and ran a ton of carbon, chemi-pure, polyfilter, etc . . . for 3 hours, then brought my fuge back online. So I didn't really treat the whole system, just the display. I figured they would probably come back and if so I would have treated the whole system the next time, but I haven't seen any signs of them since the 1 treatment.