Percula Clowns and Anenomes

HowardofNOVA

After doing some research, I'm still lost in trying to select my first Anenome to go with my False Percula Clowns in my 90g tank! According to the topic that I cut n pasted today, They seem to recommend Entacmaea quadricolor, Bulb, bubble, bubble-tipped, maroon anemone and the one I'm leaning towards and that's a Rose.

Also with Difficult to Keep listing: Heteractis crispa or H. malu, Sebae anemone, Singapore anemone, pink-tipped (but not condylactis) anemone

This article recommends Heteractis magnifica - Ritteri anenome, H. crispa - Sebae anenome & S. mertensii - Merten's carpet anenome:

In March 1990 FAMA article by S. Michaels

TABLE 1

Some anemonefishes and their anemone hosts as observed in nature

(adapted from Dunn, 1983)

Anenomefish                             Anenome         Dependency

Species                                 Species         On Host

_

Maroon (P. biaculeatus)                 2               B

False percula clown (A. ocellarus)    4,9,10        A

Percula clown (A. percula)              4,5,10        A

Saddleback (A. polymnus)               5,8            A-B

Orange skunk (A. akallopisos)          4,10           A

Maldive (A. nigripes)                       4               A

Pink skunk (A. perideraion)               3,4,5,9       A

Red Saddleback (A. ephippium)         2,5,10        B

Tomato (A. frenatus)                      2               B

Red and Black (A. melanopus)           2,4,5          B

Clark's (A. clarki)                            1-3,5-10     B

Barrier Reef (A. akindynos)               2,4,5,6,8     B

Allard's (A. allardi)                          2,6,10         B

Blue-striped (A. chrysopterus)          4-6,8,10      B

Anenome Key:

1) Cryptodendrum adhaesivum

2) Entacmaea quadricolor -- Bulb anenome, Maroon anenome

3) Macrodactyla doreensis -- Long tentacled anenome

4) Heteractis magnifica -- Ritteri anenome

5) H. crispa -- Sebae anenome

6) H. aurora -- Aurora anenome

7) H. malu -- Malu anenome, Sebae anenome

8) Stichodactyla haddoni -- Saddleback anenome

9) S. gigantea -- Giant or Pacific carpet anenome

10) S. mertensii -- Merten's carpet anenome

Dependency on host:

A -- strongly associated with host: rarely found far from their anenome.

B -- loosely associated with anenome; often found a considerable distance (up to several meters) away from host.

I guess, I'm down to either 1) Rose BTA,  2) Sebae or 3) Ritteri?

Opinions?

thanks in advance!

Howard

Your percs will love any BTA, and roses are so inexpensive now compared to the past I would go with one of them. They are quite hardy (I know more than one wamas member has ended up with 2 or more anemones after they got too close to a powerhead!)

Tom

I have a pair of ture perculas for about 9 years now and they have never touched an anemone. I have bought all the different types but they liked green stripe mushrooms as their host. Eventually they left the mushrooms and went to a frogspawn. They've been in that for the past 6-7 years.

George

my clarkii like the rbta but when i had some perameter problem the rbta went hiding, so the clarkii started hosting woth the hammer coral. now that the parameters are fine the rbta came back out so the clown now goes back and forthbut mostly staying with the hammer.

gary

Guest rennfamily
I bought a rose BTA to go with my percs. They absolutely love it. After it moving for awhile I finally got it settled into a place that's good for the both of us. I got mine from Dr. Mac and absolutely love it.

Dr. mac is a very good source for e. quadricolor anenomes.  They are the only ones I would recommend- and this is due largely to the fact that the others do not clone in captivity or have near the sucess rate of long term survival.  I would strongly suggest not going with your other 2 options- they both have perhaps the worst captive long term sucess.

Howard if your looking for something more local SDBDRZ may have one he might part with, just send him a PM. i got mine from him and i would say after what i explained above, it is super hearty or hardy.....god i sux at speelling  :laugh:  plus if he does part with one he has a super cool setup thats worth taking a look at.

Guest D33rex
My pair of percs house in a big patch of anthelia.  But I also agree that as for anenomes the BTA is the only choice.  My roomate has both green and rose ones, the green has split twice and the rose is getting ready to.  They are his favorite thing, 4 BTAs for one maroon clown!  Even the clown seems to prefer the rose, but he has several vacation homes around the tank.

Folks,

Great news and I appreciate the comments!

Will try to drop an email to SDBDRZ to see what he has. Hoping to move my 90g in place the weekend of the 19Feb if all goes well. Will look into picking one up after all settles.

Thanks!

Howard

PS, George, I now understand why your clown was going to your Frogspawn, It's HUGE!!!