Moon Lights

Caribbean Jake

This Topic is intended to start a debate on Moon Lights for your tank.

1. Why have a Moon Light on your tank?

2. What type of Moon light should you have in your tank?

3. Where can you get a reasonable priced Moon Light for your tank?

Anyone welcome to start commenting on this debate.

1. looks nice, might have some effect- not counting on much

2. not too bright IMO

3. ebay

FWIW, I'm glad I spent $20 on one.  now I can really see polyp extension when "lights" out.

Fish don't seem bothered at all.

Required?  I would have to say in no way are they "required".  I don't plan to bother putting one on either the anenome tank or the nano.

:)

Guest ufans

1. looks nice.  Even nocturnal animals need some light.  Reefs are quite bright at night (from moon)

2. LEDs are the way to go.  Low voltage and small

3. DIY.  Very very easy.

If you go DIY route, LEDs come in 2 types, narrow and wide dispersion. Narrow dispersion gives a more point source, but does give a little more of a shimmer (kinda like MH's can do). Wide can give more of a whole tank iradescence,  but less shimmer. All up to you. There's a lot of DIY's out there, but LMK if there is any wiring/component troubles if you go that route.

1. looks neat.

2. I got LED's

3. http://www.autolumination.com/

I have 2 3 way LEDs on my 75. I do not run them all night, About 2 hours after lights go out and 2 hour before lights come on. Because i would look at the tank in the middle of the night and all the fish were swimming around like it was the middle of the day. I didn't think it was healthy for the fish. No sleep. So now they have complete darkness and they sleep alittle. It's really for looks i think, you can see alot of the night time activity.

Guest rennfamily
I have a 5 LED set. I absolutely love. I didn't think about positioning before I screwed them into the canopy so one is of no use cause it's right over the cross bar. I got mine off Ebay complete with power supply and dimmer switch. You can also get a lunar tracker that will do the dimming for you. I've had no problems with my fish playing all night. And the nocturnal animals seem to love it since I've seen that many more of them since I put the moonlights in.

• 6 months later...

bump.

So I'm thinking I'd like to moonlight my 180 when it goes in. That's 72" of coverage I need. I like the idea of a shimmer effect with moonlights (narrow dispersion). Thoughts? Should I buy a product? I'm not much into custom wiring something together... but I won't rule it out either. I'd just need a dummy's reference :)

i got led's but i was wondering if anyonme had a diagram for hooking them up. i need to know what kind of resistor and how many i can have. i have a 55g ill let you guy do they rest and give me options

Guest Larry-T

I got a 3/4 watt Coralife Aqualite LED moon light from That Pet Place for $12.99. I put together a little holder for it out of some scrap wood and will start using it tomorrow night. I'll just put it on one of my tanks at night and see how it works.

<<** Larry **>>