Hi Everyone!

Guest Faustous

Guest Faustous

Well, obviously I am new. :) Just found out and signed up for membership! VERY excited to meet other people so I can steal... I mean gleen all of the knowledge I can!!

Well, I am the keeper of a small 14g Biocube nano... seems like it will be getting bigger soon... I also have a 29g freshwater that I keep. I say getting bigger soon, cause I am on the lookout (since my wife mentioned it) for a matching pair of corner tanks, one for each corner of our breakfast nook area (one salt and one fresh). But... that is another story...

I recently visted Fin and Feather in Richmond, and without consulting the 'net, like I should have... I listened and bought a Brittle Star (I believe a yellow one) for my tank... he is HUGE!! I mean, big... really really big.

I read a few things... now I am terrified of keeping him in my tank... but I can't return him easily (and I hate returning livestock)... so, instead of euthanizing him (it isn't HIS fault), I come bearing gifts. The faster I can pass him off the better... so... would anyone like a LARGE brittle star for free? Not like they are horribly expensive...

I live in Caroline County, but work in Fairfax... so I can bring him/her and deliver him/her pretty much anywhere!

Course, if you FEEL the need to pay... I could do with a frag or 20. :)

I will be asking TONS of questions later on, but for now, this is what I bring. :)

Oh, and if you have a pair of corner tanks (around 30g or so)... please hold on to them! When the membership goes through and I can see the buy/sell board... you will find me begging there ;-)

Faustous

Guest vatbrew

Welcome Faustous, I live in Spotsylvania, not too far from you. Definately go check out Atlantis Aquarium in Richmond. Super customer service and they offer 10% off for WAMAS members. Marvin the owner has helped me from the first day I got my tank and broke all the bulkheads.

http://www.atlantisva.com/

Guest Faustous

Welcome Faustous, I live in Spotsylvania, not too far from you. Definately go check out Atlantis Aquarium in Richmond. Super customer service and they offer 10% off for WAMAS members. Marvin the owner has helped me from the first day I got my tank and broke all the bulkheads.

http://www.atlantisva.com/

My family are planning a day trip on Sunday to go do that! Jay at Fin & Feather in Ashburn actually recommended AA to me! (which surprised me). BTW: My parents and parents-in-law live in Spotsy :)

Welcome.

#1 piece of advice, it seems you already know - Please the wife! And don't tell her prices. :)

Wish I could take, but already have a green star in the sump. Come out to the meeting on the 18th in and introduce yourself though.

Guest Faustous

Welcome.

#1 piece of advice, it seems you already know - Please the wife! And don't tell her prices. :)

Wish I could take, but already have a green star in the sump. Come out to the meeting on the 18th in and introduce yourself though.

Trust me, I know about the whole don't tell the wife thing... I tell all my single friends... get what you can NOW.

I will be there on the 18th, I am looking forward to the lectures!

Guest Faustous

Incredible how fast that was!

The brittle star has a new home!! YEA!!!!

Whew.... now my stupidity won't be the death of him. :)

Guest Faustous

Well, the Star is again an orphan.... same fear that I have.. he will eat my tank, then my first born (who is 3, so kinda too big for him...).

SO!!!.... anyone want to adopt? Called my lfs... Maru in Fredericksburg... they really don't want anything... Besides, last time I brought them some Bala Sharks that a friend gave me (WAY too large for me) and I gave them to the LFS for free... I had to BEG them to take them... sheesh....

How big is big?

Any pics?

Well, the Star is again an orphan.... same fear that I have.. he will eat my tank, then my first born (who is 3, so kinda too big for him...).

SO!!!.... anyone want to adopt? Called my lfs... Maru in Fredericksburg... they really don't want anything... Besides, last time I brought them some Bala Sharks that a friend gave me (WAY too large for me) and I gave them to the LFS for free... I had to BEG them to take them... sheesh....

welcome, welcome!

If there are no takers, you should post in the WTB forum. I know it's backwards but you'll definately find someone here who will be more than happy to take things off of your hands.

:cheers:

Guest vatbrew

Watch out for Maru's please. I have had nothing but bad luck from them. Bought a clown tang, hippo tang, and lawnmower blenny from them. The clown died the next day, the hippo has brought ich to my tank, the blenny is doing fine. When I had my old tank, years ago, fish had ich from there. They changed owners since then, but the ich is still there.

Guest Faustous
(edited)

OK... this post was to hold the pics.. but Picasa is fighting me... soon... very soon.

Edited by Faustous

Guest Faustous

ok, pics take 2 :)

DSCN0911.jpg

DSCN0910.jpg

He/she/it ate some brine shrimp today... hungry bugger :)

Guest FZ1Rider

ok, pics take 2 :)

He/she/it ate some brine shrimp today... hungry bugger :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, (I was a little more sure in my PM) but that looks more like a serpent star than a bristle star.

Anyone agree?

Peter

Correct me if I'm wrong, (I was a little more sure in my PM) but that looks more like a serpent star than a bristle star.

Anyone agree?

Peter

I agree. Although I have seen some sources use the names interchangeably, I usually think of brittle stars as being the ones with all the bristles and serpeant stars being smooth like this one. At any rate, I don't think you will have any trouble with this one. I have two of these in my tank, along with a red serpeant, and I've lost count of how many brittle stars. They make excellent scavengers IMO. The brittle stars more or less seem to stay put under a crevice in the rock, extending their arms to filter feed. The serpeant stars are much more active, tending to roam around looking for stuff to eat. Fascinating to watch them move and always a big hit with the kids (after "nemo & dory" have grabbed their attention). They will grab any dead thing they can but I have never seen or experienced them going after anything living. I think the only ones you have to worry about eating your fish are the big green brittle stars.

When I first got one I target fed it at the beginning but soon realized there was no need. A large one in a 14G might not get enough to eat on its own, though. Stick a small piece of fish meat on kabob skewer, hold it in the tank and enjoy the show. Your shrimp (and first born, I'm pretty sure) are safe.

Guest Faustous
(edited)

That does make me feel better... but I have learned that when my wife makes a comment such as "it looks like a deer tick". Then it is best to not fight.

Course, I ask her to come with me to the LFS's that I go to... but she doesn't want to... I think SHE thinks that if she doesn't go, I won't buy anything...?

:)

Still waiting for a definate on the adoptive parent!

And... HAPPY ANNIVERSARY Rascal!

Edited by Faustous