best salt?

Guest burk504

Guest burk504

I'm new here, but this looks like a great board (and a great assoc.)  

What is the best quality salt for the money?  Finally bought a RO/DI unit and am starting to mix my own, instead of purchasing from the Marine Scene.  

Any help appreciated.

Jeff

Guest BigStun
Many people swear by Instant Ocean...I myself use Kent Marine salt and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Lots of discussion on this one.  Points of consideration:

Speed of mixing and clearing.  How long does it take to dissolve and clarify?

Alkalinity, Ca and pH levels.  How high?  How close to sea water and what we want in our tanks?

Trace elements.  What does it have?  Consistent w/sea water?

Bad things.  Does it have lead, mercury, or other heavy metals that are detrimental and accumulate over time?

Price.  How much for a 200Gal mix of seawater?

Most of us locally use Instant Ocean.  Easiest to get these days, but price is starting to go way up.  It has not done as well in consistency.  Some say it has higher levels of heavy metals.  I'm not a chemist, so I can't say.  Dissolves and clears in a couple hours.

Lot of discussion around the new Oceanic Salt.  Seems to have Alk, CA and pH on the money with nice high levels where you want them to be.  Also dissolves and clears nicely.  I'm thinking of switching to this if I can find some.

Previous newcomer was BioEssay Marine Mix.  Shimek rated it well for captive breeding some fish he was working with.  Not as clear that it is a great basic salt for reef keeping.  Lots of folks switched to it and had major die offs.  Seems that the mix is sufficiently different that you must acclimate your reef to it.  Those that did very minor water changes over longer periods had better luck.

For nano's, some use that Ocean in a Box product.  Natural sea water.  Apparently awesome stuff, but the price for larger systems would be rather high.

Again, I've used IO for about 2 years now and am considering a switch to Oceanic.  Drivers on the decision are price and Alk/Ca/pH levels after mix is ready.  I've always heated/aerated my water for about 24 hours and will continue this practice if I switch.  I do believe it takes a bit of time for the ionization process to finish.

Hope this helped.  I'm sure other opinions will surface shortly.

s

Guest Kimo

Has anyone seen Oceanic Salt locally?  I am looking for some to try with my next water change.

J

Guest cjm033

order biosea salt, best salt ive ever used. ive tested about 6 salts worst would have to be red sea and this new stuff comming out (dunno when) omega sea. io sucks too. but if you dont wanna order offline then oceanic is the 2nd choice( i use oceanic because i cant order much offline). you can get biosea form www.aquacraft.net i think the site is.

-Chris

Guest reverai

When I first started with my Nano Cube and bought some Instant Ocean but I couldn't stablize my PH and SG. The CA was low  too. After a few weeks I dumped out the water and used Reef Cystalls which had high CA and the stabilized my PH. I used ocean water from the Catalina Water company in Calif which does even better. It costs $10 at Petcom for five gallons and as far as I can tell, both my fish and zoos love it.  I realize if one has a tank larger than 20 gallons or so, going with ocean water at $2 a gallon probably isn't going to work for anything but water changes. But you know, it sure does solve a lot of problems that come with mixes!

Steve

Been through almost 1,000gal of Oceanic salt and I am done with the others.  Just mixed the 300g and poured the salt directly in the tank for mixing, no residue.  IO would have left a precipitate all over the sides :(

I can't provide any real information on SPS but my anemones, clowns, and misc, look great.

Guest Kimo

Traveller - Where did you get the Oceanic salt?

Thanks - Jamie

My vote is with Oceanic (quick dissolution,no residue,happy tank etc) . Also don't think ORA would use/endorse them if they had any problems with consistency etc.

tom

Locally to me... Oceanic salt can be found at Super Pets in Annandale. If I remember correctly, either Petsmart or Petco also carry Oceanic salt.

Guest mikesroth
I know that House of Tropicals (Glen Burnie), and I believe the Aquarium Center (Randallstown) also carry it.  If you are travelling a bit further, ThatPetPlace in Lancaster, PA also has it.

Guest Houshan
If you're near Rockville, Congressional Aquarium sells them for $30 for the 200 gallon.

Guest mikesroth
That would definitley be the best price I have seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Traveller - Where did you get the Oceanic salt?

Thanks - Jamie

Wow sorry about the delay :(

Quite a bit has come from PetSmart and the rest from other folks runs to Lancaster.

I am down to about 80gals worth so I am on the hunt for 5 more buckets, we shall see this time :)

• 3 months later...

Any new opinions?

I've been using Oceanic on my nano and all seems to be great. My only gripe is finding it locally... Superpetz carries it, but its expensive there.

Might switch back to IO just because of availibilty and price.

Guest MDboyz

PupChow... get Oceanic :p

I used IO before.  However, I switched to Oceanic and don't want to go back.